2 canucks

Sending in semi-complicated AOS packet today... Look it over, please?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, could you please look over the things I have included to make sure I have it all? We have both been living abroad for over 10 years. I, the petitioner, have no income other than a tax benefit that I have counted as income for a recent back-filing for the last three years of US taxes. The joint sponsor's wife passed away this past year, but for all of the tax transcripts her name and income is listed.

Thank you to any and all that have any feedback! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Saylin, if you are reading this, thank you oh-so-much for all of your hard work in putting together templates - they were desperately needed!

Here is what I have for my cover letter:

XXXX (Petitioner)
(Address)
(xxx)xxx-xxxx

National Visa Center
ATTN: CMR AOS
31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH 03801-2914

Re: Submitting Affidavit of Support I-864 for NVC Case Number XXXXXXXX

To whom it may concern:

Enclosed, please find the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support for my husband XXXXXXXX (beneficiary) and supporting documents as follows:

• I-864 Coversheet (with barcode)
  • Form I-864 (Signed and dated) for petitioner
  • 2013 US Federal Tax Return, Canadian RC62 (UCCTB) form as proof of tax benefit income, recently filed to be in good standing
  • 2012 US Federal Tax Return, recently filed
  • 2011 US Federal Tax Return, recently filed
  • Letter from a US certified accountant including an excerpt of tax law as proof that the petitioner did not meet the necessary requirements to file US Federal taxes
  • Excerpt from IRS website re: 2013 Filing Requirements stating that petitioner did not meet the requirements to file US Taxes
  • 2013 Canadian Federal Tax Return as proof of having no personal income except Canadian Universal Child Care Tax Benefit
  • Bank Statements as proof of assets of petitioner
  • Home appraisal of house at XXXXXXX as proof of assets of petitioner
  • Mortgage Statement of the house at XXXXXXXXX that was appraised to show equity/assets of petitioner
  • Service Ontario Land Registry letter proving there are no liens on the house at XXXXXXXXXX
  • Three investment statements as proof of assets of beneficiary
  • Explanation letter of income and employment for petitioner
  • Petitioner’s Signed letter of declaration to re-establish U.S. domicile no later than the beneficiary’s admission to the United States, all supporting documentation included immediately following the letter of declaration

Re: I-864 Joint sponsor Affidavit of Support, please also see:

• I-864 for joint sponsor, XXXXXXX (signed and dated)
  • 2013 Federal Tax Return 1099R, SSA-1099 for XXXXXXX
  • 2013 Tax Transcript Note: Spouse,XXXXXXXX deceased XXXXX, 2013
  • 2012 Tax Transcript
  • 2011 Tax Transcript
  • Bank statements proving current and ongoing individual net income (deposits highlighted) from the most recent three months for XXXXXX
  • Copy of the bio page of passport and XXXX Driver’s License of XXXXXX as proof of US citizenship and residency
  • Copy of birth certificate for XXXXXXX as proof of US citizenship
  • Original death certificate for XXXXXXX (wife of joint sponsor) as proof of XXXXXXX's household size is now one (1) person (himself)
  • Explanation letter of household size for joint sponsor
  • Explanation letter of income for joint sponsor (retired)

Please process my petition at your earliest convenience and I am looking forward to an early approval. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

----------

Then, for my declaration that I will re-establish US domicile, this is what I have:

XXXXXXX, petitioner
SSN XXXXXXXXX

Form I-864 Case #XXXXXXX

Part 4, Question 5: Country of Domicile

I,XXXXXXX, am currently residing in XXXXXXX XXXXXX, Canada with my husband, XXXXXXX. Below you will find a list of steps and attached documents to show that I am taking necessary steps to re-establish domicile in the US.

Steps I have taken to return to the US and re-establish domicile:

1. Re-activated a checking account atXXXXXXX in XXXXXXX,XXX where my husband and I have had a joint savings account for X years.
  2. Opened a US XXXXXXX Bank Checking Account
  3. Applied for myXXXXX voter registration and voted in the recent election
  4. Made arrangements for us to have a home
  5. Contacted (State) schools for requirements to register our school-aged children in a the (State) school system
  6. Contacted auto insurance companies to get quotes of insurance for our vehicle
  7. Contacted moving/shipping companies for estimate of costs to ship our household belongings
  8. Contacted (State) DOT about re-establishing my XX Driver’s License

Supporting documents for the steps I have taken as listed above:

1. Copy of our XXXXXX checking account application and bank statement
  2. Copy of our XXXXX Bank Checking bank statement
  3. Copy of my voter registration application and latest ballot
  4. Lease agreement for our residence in XXXXX,XX
  5. Email fromXXXX area schools regarding registration requirements for our children
  6. Three Emails from All State Insurance company regarding my inquiry/quotes
  7. Emails from Pods, Atlas Van Lines and UPack with estimates and correspondence regarding shipping our belongings
  8. Department of Transportation issued documentation about re-establishing my XX DL and the contact information for the person I spoke to at the local XX DOT in XXX,XX

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of my spouse, XXXXXXXX admission into the US.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ________________________________________Date: ______________________

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Foreign real estate may be disallowed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Honestly if you need a joint sponsor, don't bother with your assets in Canada.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya, I wasn't sure what to do, because our house is currently in the process of being sold, freeing up all the equity. The equity in the house alone is more than enough to cover our family household size for the 3 years. I still will go in with the joint sponsor, though. Just leave the Canadian assets and go with the joint sponsor?

Do you see any other problems with the documentation I have listed above? Thank you so much for taking the time to even respond!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.