cca

How Specific do you need to be?

8 posts in this topic

I'm filling out the N400 form and it asks for days out of the USA, vacation dates, employment dates etc over the last 5years! I have a general idea but don't know specific dates! Is this a problem? They also ask for addresses. Every time I have moved I have filled out a change of address form so they have everything on file!? Why are they asking again? Has anybody given estimations and been fine?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Estimates are generally fine when it comes to addresses in the US. your address(es) generally pop up once they run your background check. They will most likely ask you to bring your passport/travel documents for interview. So you're better off finding/entering exact travel dates. Just look at the stamps at POE for your travel dates.

Estimates are generally fine when it comes to addresses in the US. your address(es) generally pop up once they run your background check. They will most likely ask you to bring your passport/travel documents for interview. So you're better off finding/entering exact travel dates. Just look at the stamps at POE for your travel dates.

thanks for the response. I dont know if I have all of my travel itinery stuff and I have renewed my passport so I dont know if ill get my old one back. If I do, all that is stamped is entry back into the USA. Most of my trips have been back to UK so I didnt need to get stamped on entry for this...

Vacation dates ? Employmente dates ? Hmmm oh boy I really need to take a look again at this form because time ago, I took a quick look at it and I dont remember such questions.

I think estimates are ok. In fact, when you fill up the "change adress" form online (requirement when you change address) there is even a message saying its ok to be an estimate.

I think as long as you dont go overboard with it it should be ok.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Estimates are ok, but try to be as close as possible. I did have the exact dates of travel, because I had a few trips of more than 6 months so I wanted to be accurate. Look at old ticket reservations (if you keep those). They'll ask you to bring all your passports and travel documents, so you better find out where your old passport is in case they ask for it.

At my interview the IO didn't really look at my old passport and just made a copy of the personal info from my recent one.

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The exact dates of travel are important because they determine your eligibility for citizenship.

You have to be in the country for a certain number of days so that:

-You can apply for naturalization

-You don't lose your green card

If you are WELL below those limits, then they probably won't care as much about the exact dates, but it's better to have them.

Use your US entry stamps as a guide for your travel dates; I would go through old emails to check for airline receipts or check your frequent flier account. You could also call the airline and see if they can look up your last few trips.

Most countries do return your old passport when you get a new one.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Found myself digging through my own facebook profile - timeline is a great feature for this matter.

As for addresses I keep all the docs since my entry in July 2005, once I get my citizenship - everything will be scanned and stored digitally(just in case) and all future statements/bills will go paperless/online statements. Prepping my backyard fire pit)))

Edited by iGalin
1_2v7_1279ff.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.