Stevious

K1 Does Immigrant need to get name change on PI passport to return from visit to America showing new married name?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

K1 in progress, and our interview is likely to happen in December or January.

As requiried we have married.

She has a Employment Authorization Card in married name also acting as I-512 Advance Parole that is valid through and after the return date.

Wife (immigrant) intends to travel back to PI in January for three weeks.

Everything seems in order except that we've been told, possibly incorrectly, that she must get a new PI passport from the Consulate with her married name otherwise immigration won't let her back into the US.

This seems odd to me. Travel to the consulate is at least an entire day and is expensive. She has adequate proof of identity (PI driver's license in old name, US Drivers license in new name, birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate and documetation) showing that K1 is properly in progress.

Most immigrants under K1 will name change upon marriage and it seems to me that the original PI passport should still work as it is, until expired, without buying a newly named one.

It seems to me that the passport with other docs, espically an original marriage license, ss card, plus the old but valid PI passport in her non-married name should be adequate.

Might anyone know what the actual rules are on this?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, there are rules, then there is 'custom'.

What seems to be the custom with different names on the same human -

is that folk exit the USA with just the passport, airtickets bought in passport name, then

in the PI, show airticket, passport, AP card, marriage certificate, all to get on the plane,

then

coming in to USA at the POE, show Passport, AP card and marriage certificate.

That's the custom. unsure about the 'rules'.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is no problem using her passport with her non-married name. She just need to bring her GC and marriage contract, based on my experience.

Thanks but she does not yet have a GC. Does that change things?

And perhaps a good question: Would it be best to purchase the ticket under her former (prior to marriage) name, or the new, married name?

Edited by Stevious

And perhaps a good question: Would it be best to purchase the ticket under her former (prior to marriage) name, or the new, married name?

If she intends to travel in January, purchase her ticket under her current passport name (hence her maiden name). Just let her bring her AP and marriage certificate during travel.

I used my AP last year. Traveled with my Philippine passport and plane ticket still under my maiden name. Had no problems at POE (LAX), only a couple more minutes of further processing in a holding room where they had to verify my status with DHS/USCIS. (They did not even ask to see my marriage certificate). But I guess that's SOP. The wait could be nerve-wracking though, because in the same room there were people who were also being deported.

She can do the report of marriage and passport ammendment later. It takes about 6-8 weeks to process that. Your wife could still opt to do those now and wait for the new passport before purchasing the ticket, but then that would be too close to her intended travel date.

Edited by M and C

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

passport allows her to travel, so use the name in the passport on the air ticket.

When you get a moment, please reread post #2.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Follow Darnell's recommendations as it is the correct way to exit and enter each country. Don't mess things up at this point till her travel to the Phil is completed. Once she returns you finish with the reporting of marriage and changing the passport name. Remember, if she is out of the country when you have your GC interview you could jeopardize your GC processing, so plan her trip according.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.