Melisandre

MTL Interview Documents & Preparation

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys!

Interview coming up soon! Medical exam is next week. Very very nervous. Just wanted to discuss a few things before dropping dead from a panic attack.

- Do I take the whole approved I-129 package with me? As in like a bundle just the way I got it..or can I organize it the way I want. Are they gonna ask to see specific documents separately or just ask me to hand over the whole package?

- We got back out passport size pictures too..can I use them for interview? How many copy of pictures do I need for interview? The medical exam asked for 5 copy.

- Do I need to know about my fiance's finances in great detail? Like I know how much he makes and stuff but do I need to go through his pay stubs step by step?

- Should I use the exact copy of the evidence that we sent for I-129 and got back? Should I bring original boarding passes or is it okay if I bring copies

- Should I include more recent evidence as we just saw each other 2 weeks ago

- I have a lot of stuff as proof..pictures, plane tickets, boarding passes, movie tickets, proof of taking trips together..but I'm wondering if I should bring them all with me or just a few. Would that be "too many" evidence?

- For my medical exam I'm bringing my immunization booklet, allergy test result, titre test to prove immunity and a pathology report of a surgery couple years ago.. is that okay?

- Do they ask you to hand over allll your documents or just ask for things they want to see

Thank you so much guys! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello,

since I have just gone through the process in Sweden (and got approved!), please see my answers below.

- Take the package with you but do not organize it differently (you never know...). Just read it through and make sure you know the content of all the documents in it. When I had the interview, they never asked about anything regarding the I-129 package, only about the stuff they had asked for in the appointment confirmation which I got from the embassy.

- I was asked to bring two passport size photos. That should be specified in the appointment confirmation from the embassy (prob received via email).

- No, if his finances are in order and he earns above US poverty line you don't need to know about his finances in detail (at least I was never asked anything about it). Just make sure you bring the original Affidavit - they won't accept copies! I speak from experience...

- Bring everything sent and written during the whole process, you never know what they'll ask for. And bring all original documents and evidence possible. The fewer copies the better.

- This answers two questions in one: Bring evidence of your continous relationship since you filed the I-129 petition - that includes boarding passes, pictures, emails, skype history, etc. - but only a few of each. Don't overdo it.

- You should be fine for the medical examination. My doctor at least was very easy about it.

- They'll most likely you ask you to give them the documents and things asked for in the appointment confirmation from the embassy (as you may have noticed, this is an important mail!). For me it was the following:

Affidavit, incl. supporting documents from employer and bank

Valid passport

Old passports with US visas in them (I had none)

DS-160 confirmation page (important that the barcode is on there)

Two passport photos

Police records from all countries I lived in for more than six months (don't worry, all clean, haha) - if these are in other languages than English you'll need certified translations

Evidence of continuous relationship

Besides the documents I was asked to bring, they asked me where I met my boyfriend and to tell them our story. There were also a few questions about our birth years, when the wedding would be and how many are invited. I heard another girl being asked (not that I listened) if her parents approved of her engagement but I guess that was because she was young (maybe around 22). It was a comfortable and easy experience for me! Don't worry and good luck! :-)

Just ask if you have more questions,

Zilla

Hey guys!

Interview coming up soon! Medical exam is next week. Very very nervous. Just wanted to discuss a few things before dropping dead from a panic attack.

- Do I take the whole approved I-129 package with me? As in like a bundle just the way I got it..or can I organize it the way I want. Are they gonna ask to see specific documents separately or just ask me to hand over the whole package?

- We got back out passport size pictures too..can I use them for interview? How many copy of pictures do I need for interview? The medical exam asked for 5 copy.

- Do I need to know about my fiance's finances in great detail? Like I know how much he makes and stuff but do I need to go through his pay stubs step by step?

- Should I use the exact copy of the evidence that we sent for I-129 and got back? Should I bring original boarding passes or is it okay if I bring copies

- Should I include more recent evidence as we just saw each other 2 weeks ago

- I have a lot of stuff as proof..pictures, plane tickets, boarding passes, movie tickets, proof of taking trips together..but I'm wondering if I should bring them all with me or just a few. Would that be "too many" evidence?

- For my medical exam I'm bringing my immunization booklet, allergy test result, titre test to prove immunity and a pathology report of a surgery couple years ago.. is that okay?

- Do they ask you to hand over allll your documents or just ask for things they want to see

Thank you so much guys! :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Canada Regional Forum~

~At this stage of process, instructions/requirements are often consulate-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Montreal is easy if you are born in Canada. You only need what they ask for at the bottom of packet 3 and they will ask for each form/evidence one at a time at the window. I spent all this time collecting all sorts of evidence and they didn't ask for anything more than what was on packet 3. Financially, you typically only need the tax transcript if he makes enough money. They will ask you simple questions, how you met, how the proposal went, etc during the interview. When we went there was 3 windows we went to, first to sign in, second to collect paperwork, third for the interview...and lots of waiting between each window.

If you were not born in Canada...then I would definitely bring all the evidence you can.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I remember:

For the medical exam, just bring everything that is on the list. (It wouldn't hurt to make copies of everything as well - especially your immunization records). You may need them again down the line.

For the interview... I had my full I129F package with me (exact copy of how I had originally sent it). But, I also kept an accordian file with copies of everything that was in the original package that was organized by what it was - divorce/marriage certs, custody docs, a copy of the affidavit of support, copies of all of my evidence of relationship, passports, birth certificates, immunization records, DS-160, copies of police records, passport photos.

You should keep all of this because you will need some of it again when you get to the AOS process.

At the interview - at the first window where you register - I remember the lady going through some sort of checklist and asking me for specific things. There was one thing she asked me for (I can't quite remember what) that I only had an original for and she required 2 copies. She was kind enough to make those copies for me.

When I got the the actual interviewer - she asked me specific questions about where my fiance lives, works, and how much he makes. So even if you don't bring pay stubs (I would bring a recent one - just to have it) make sure you are familiar with his income and also if he owns any assets - like a house etc.

You should be fine. I was nervous as hell - I did the process for me and 2 of my kids - so it was 3X the paperwork to keep straight. But in the end - it was a piece of cake.

Good Luck to you and your fiance. :luv:

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Try to relax. Honestly the interview is one of the easiest parts of the whole process. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.