SmallTownPA

K2 - child of foreign women.. guide?

18 posts in this topic

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There really is not a lot on the K2.

What I understand so far:

Put the kids names on the I-129 for mom. That will allow the child to get a K2 VISA if the I-129 is approved. The K2 VISA is good for 1 year from issue.

Since the K2 is a serperate VISA mom can come over herself while family watches the kid.

But what I cannot clarify is how long is the 'window' for the childs K2 VISA before the original I-129 form 'expires'?

So if mom comes over.. can we wait 2-3 years till she is settled and still have the original I-129 be 'valid'?

I know the K2 is good for a year.. but what if we want to wait 2? Mom is still (I think) in a conditional status (not a K-1) so will that mean the kids will need a different VISA?

It appears that we should make all efforts to get the child to the US withing a year of mom getting here...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

the best way is to bring both, mother and child at the same time, im going with my daughter, is not an option letting her behind, one advice make sure ur fiancee has entire custody if not after the child will be relocated in usa the gov will not grant the real residence for the child until she has full custody, soe of my friends that went that way had to come back and start a trial for the full custody of the child, the father signature is only for travel NOT for the relocation

If the K2 is expired (follow to join in ur case) there are other visas in order to reunite the family

After 3 years of marriage ur fiancee can aply for naturalization and after that she can bring her child without any problem coz she will be an US citizen

Edited by MariaLD

K1/K2 Visa
05-28-2014 - I-129F Sent
06-09-2014 - I-129F NOA1
10-27-2014 - I-129F NOA2
12-05-2014 - NVC Received
12-08-2014 - Left NVC 
12-12-2014 - Consulate Received
12-15-2014 - Pack 3 Received

01-08-2015 - Interview Date APPROVED!!!!!
01-11-2015 - Visa Received
01-16-2015 - US Entry
03-25-2015 - Marriage

AOS

08-28-2015 - AOS pack sent in 00-00-20__ - I-751 Sent
08-31-2015 - NOA for all 3 packs received via email
09-29-2015 - Bio Appt
11-27-2015 - Approval (No interview)
12-03-2015- Green card received

ROC

10-04-2017- I-751 sent

10-16-2017- NOA 1

11-14-2017 - Bio. Appt.

2 extension letters received 

03-06-2019 - RFE

06-15-2019 - requested a passport stamp/approved 

06-18-2019 - 10 years green card approved (no interview)

USC

07-05-2019 - N400 sent online

07-06-2019 - Noa 1

07-25-2019 - Bio.Appt

VrQDm4.pngAMMkm4.png wFiZm4.pngz6nxm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There really is not a lot on the K2.

What I understand so far:

Put the kids names on the I-129 for mom. That will allow the child to get a K2 VISA if the I-129 is approved. The K2 VISA is good for 1 year from issue.

No, the child can travel with the mother with a K-2 and To Join (to join with the mother to immigrate)....or within a year's time of the issuance date of the mother's K-1, they can obtain a K-2 To Follow visa. The child must obtain a K-2 visa and use it within one year of the issuance of the K-1.

Since the K2 is a serperate VISA mom can come over herself while family watches the kid.

Yes, for up to a year since the K-1 was issued.

But what I cannot clarify is how long is the 'window' for the childs K2 VISA before the original I-129 form 'expires'?

As stated above. The 129 expiration date is meaningless.

So if mom comes over.. can we wait 2-3 years till she is settled and still have the original I-129 be 'valid'?

There is no 129 validity. You have a year to obtain a K-2 for the child.

I know the K2 is good for a year

Then why keep asking?

.. but what if we want to wait 2?

Sure you can wait as long as you want.

Mom is still (I think) in a conditional status (not a K-1) so will that mean the kids will need a different VISA?

Yes beyond 1 year, you yourself or the mother can file a 130 petition, usually takes about a year to process.

It appears that we should make all efforts to get the child to the US withing a year of mom getting here...

Yeppers.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.