DavenRoxy

Identical twin studies prove homosexuality is not genetic

146 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

But it still doesn't take away from my opinion that nature or nurture by themselves or a combination of both affects our sexual orientation.

There are certainly a whole multitude of factors at work and I believe they are different for each individual.

I don't think we will ever have a 'recipe' for homosexuality.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

:thumbs: I know what you meant... My reply was not a retort to your post.

I'm not suggesting that isn't the case. I can see though why some people would want to blame homosexuality on deficient parenting, because they think there is something wrong with being gay.

Personally I do think a person's reaction to their parents could be a factor in developing homosexuality but that's not the same. Everyone has a unique relationship with their parents and an experience of their upbringing that is similarly unique. In a sense, you can't say that you and your brother have the same parents, if you see what I mean.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

For those like me who do not have an inclination towards the same sex, you might find these interesting. Information given out by men who were gay at one point, but who are not still today.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ex-gay-homosexuality-is-just-another-human-brokenness

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/us/ex-gay-men-fight-view-that-homosexuality-cant-be-changed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Some interesting perspectives from folks who have actually "been there, done that".

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I guess it only reinforces the notion it is not a choice, given the testimony of the guy who even against his own will, craved male sexual contact for years. If it were a choice, all he'd have to do is say no, instead of fighting his natural urge.

In any case, the same could be said for many who found out their homosexuality later in life.

Good for both - so long as they are happy with who they are - for that is what really matters in the end.

For those like me who do not have an inclination towards the same sex, you might find these interesting. Information given out by men who were gay at one point, but who are not still today.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ex-gay-homosexuality-is-just-another-human-brokenness

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/us/ex-gay-men-fight-view-that-homosexuality-cant-be-changed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Some interesting perspectives from folks who have actually "been there, done that".

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I guess it only reinforces the notion it is not a choice, given the testimony of the guy who even against his own will, craved male sexual contact for years. If it were a choice, all he'd have to do is say no, instead of fighting his natural urge.

In any case, the same could be said for many who found out their homosexuality later in life.

Good for both - so long as they are happy with who they are - for that is what really matters in the end.

Certainly not earth-shattering news, but I reckon it boils down to personal feelings. It's certainly a myriad of things/feelings/emotions/upbringing. I just added it because it comes from people who have actually felt that way at one time. The reasons for change are of courswe personal.

I relate it to taste for food. I did NOT like Brussels sprouts as a kid, but I love them now. Can't say why, but something changed. As you said... in the end, whatever makes you happy, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Timeline

I'm not sure liking Brussels sprouts and developing sexual feelings for men are really in the same league. The clue being that you had to try to the Brussels in the first place to discover that in fact you did not like them.

That sort of implies that a person would have to have tried out being gay and not liking it before changing their mind years later.

Not sure that really works.

Timeline

So is liking Brussels sprouts a gay or a straight thing?

If you're thinking about sexuality in those terms its probably not a very meaningful difference.

Have you tried roast duck? No? You haven't lived!

So is liking Brussels sprouts a gay or a straight thing?

Depends on whether you just chew and swallow, or roll them around in your mouth for a while, I would guess.