JE57

Is it Fraud to use a K-1 Visa as a tourist Visa?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ah, besides the fact that is just simply fraud intentions. You can call it a grey line as much as you want. It is fraud.

My question is this...............why not get married when she is here?

Please keep in mind that some dates are only known after receipt of another document.
For example, the USPS Form 3811. The stamped receiving date was not know until the original Form 3811 was received on 07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST.

07/05/2013 3:07 p/m CST I-129F pouch tendered to United States Postal Service in Houston, TX
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt Card / Stamped and Received at USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USCIS / WEB SITE / receives petition and mails notice
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check Presented to bank for payment
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Text Message Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Email Received Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check coverted to ACH Payment to USCIS DALLAS PAYMENT
07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt (GREEN) Card received from USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/13/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Set up user account to track case status / https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do
07/15/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Indicates "ACCEPTANCE"
07/16/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Log in to check site / Indicates "INITIAL REVIEW"
07/17/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA1) / Received in mail today. (Notice Date : 07/11/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 07/15/13)

* Advising case has been opened.
07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:45 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 7:00 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/09/2013 6:30 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Case has been transfered from VSC

08/09/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOAT) / Rcv'd in mail (Notice Date : 08/06/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 08/07/2013)**

** Advising that the case has been transfered from VSC to TSC

08/09/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "INITIAL REVIEW

08/26/2013 8:45 p/m CST Email Recieved / USCIS / On 08/26/13, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E).

08/26/2013 8:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/26/2013 8:48 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "POST DECISION ACTIVITY"

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Email Received / USCIS / On August 27, 2013, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing.

08/29/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA2) / Rcv'd in mail. (Notice Date : 08/26/2013) (Stamp date on env. : 08/27/18) / Advising i-129F has been APPROVED.

09/05/2013 UNKNWN Phone Call to NVC / Petition received and MNL Number issued

09/06/2013 15:58 EST Documents shipped out via DHL AWB 8774193982 ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/ ) EXCELLANT

09/09/2013 10:45 MNL Documents rcvd at Embassy signed for L Bernardion

Summary : Date mailed : 07/05; Docs rcv'd USCIS : 07/09; NOA1 issued : 07/11; NOA2 issued : 08/26, NOA2 rcv'd in mail : 08/29; NVC Rcv'd : 09/05/; MNL Emby rcv'd docs : 09/09

Total Number of Days : 67 days (Mailing date of I-129F at U.S. Post Office to Receipt of documents in Manila Embassy)

Projected Dates (Not Actual Dates) : Based on research on VJ Website, other members statements, and documents going to VSC Service Center
07/18/13 : Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 11, 2013 and December 24, 2013

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lucky for you guys that use VWP or easy to get a tourist visa. I, myself, sometimes felt resentful toward people who easily to visit to the US yet still complaining how miserable they are because the process takes so long. I've got refused for a tourist visa back in 2010 - thanks to those who came to the US with a tourist visa, got married, and adjust of status afterwards-. I finally met my then- fiancé ( my now husband) in another country.

Use this premise. I think it is a bad idea using a tourist visa to get married and stay then adjust of status afterwards because of this shortcuts occurred many times make a bunch of hopeful applicants lost their chance to get approved for a tourist visa.

Try to put yourself in people's shoes. The OP's fiancée has a zero chance to get approved for a tourist visa. And she deserves to see her fiancée's country and meet his family as well. Not all people will think America is a land of dreams.

Thank you for this well thought out reply. She has already been denied a tourist visa once and since then has become engaged to a USC (me) and has no greater compelling reason to return to her home country other than to be with me. Her chances of getting a tourist visa are practically Nil, and yes she very badly wants to visit the USA if we decide to remain abroad. We have not lied thru the process. At the time we applied for and even at the interview it was still our intent to use the K-1 as intended, move to USA and Marry in 90 days and AOS. Only recently has the opportunity to remain overseas in the life we love presented itself.. If she were to enter the USA on the K-1 I would advise her to answer any and all questions asked completely honestly to avoid any misrepresentation at POE. It would even be possible for us to Marry while in the USA. Although were we staying abroad it would be far simpler and more transparent to Marry in our country of residence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you for this well thought out reply. She has already been denied a tourist visa once and since then has become engaged to a USC (me) and has no greater compelling reason to return to her home country other than to be with me. Her chances of getting a tourist visa are practically Nil, and yes she very badly wants to visit the USA if we decide to remain abroad. We have not lied thru the process. At the time we applied for and even at the interview it was still our intent to use the K-1 as intended, move to USA and Marry in 90 days and AOS. Only recently has the opportunity to remain overseas in the life we love presented itself.. If she were to enter the USA on the K-1 I would advise her to answer any and all questions asked completely honestly to avoid any misrepresentation at POE. It would even be possible for us to Marry while in the USA. Although were we staying abroad it would be far simpler and more transparent to Marry in our country of residence.

Don't do it. Save your K1 or K3 card for when you may really need it. Some people have tried 3 times to get their tourist visa and are eventually accepted.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is another poster who planned to use the K1 visa to enter the USA and then leave before 90 days, and was approved: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/492763-a-real-k1-experience-when-the-usc-does-not-live-or-work-in-the-usa/

His fiancee also had difficulties obtaining a tourist visa, so the K1 was their only option. They were very transparent in their petition and at the embassy interview that they did not intend to remain in the US permanently. Many on VJ insisted he would be denied, but it looks like he was successful after all :)

Just note that it is unlikely she will be issued a tourist visa after a K1, as the immigrant intent in pursuing a K1 is pretty obvious (whether or not she, personally, has any). Of course the K1 visa process is also much more expensive than a B2, but if you have the cash to spare...

Thank you for this reference looks like they ended up in a very similiar situation as my fiancee and I, although I will say that neither of us are nearly as negative about the USA as they apparently they are. In fact, neither of us are opposed to living in the USA we simply, given the choice would rather remain in Asia Pacific. I also note that while that was at the consulate level the question of what might happen at POE to them remains open to interpretation. Still re-assuring though. I'll also note that her visa is not yet in her passport because the CO in our case *did* care where the income was from. Even though my pay is from the US, deposited into a US bank account by a US company they still wanted to see proof from my company that when I returned to the USA that I could continue with my job and what salary, position and start date etc. It appears they didn't understand the terms of my employment but I can't say I blame them and as yet I've been unable to obtain said letter.

Thank you for this reference looks like they ended up in a very similiar situation as my fiancee and I, although I will say that neither of us are nearly as negative about the USA as they apparently they are. In fact, neither of us are opposed to living in the USA we simply, given the choice would rather remain in Asia Pacific. I also note that while that was at the consulate level the question of what might happen at POE to them remains open to interpretation. Still re-assuring though. I'll also note that her visa is not yet in her passport because the CO in our case *did* care where the income was from. Even though my pay is from the US, deposited into a US bank account by a US company they still wanted to see proof from my company that when I returned to the USA that I could continue with my job and what salary, position and start date etc. It appears they didn't understand the terms of my employment but I can't say I blame them and as yet I've been unable to obtain said letter.

You both are engaged. Your situation has been changed during the process - that's what I have understood and correct me if I am wrong - that there is more chance to stay abroad because of your work. I don't think you will get slap for misrepresentation. A bunch of people adjust from different visas while stayed in the US.

It is not like your fiancée is trying to use you as a ride to get a green card which is unfortunately happened many times. You and your fiancée won't stay in the US. K-1 visa is for fiancé(e) of USC to get married in the US within 90 days. If the marriage never occurred then she has to leave.

Misrepresentation depends on CO point of view. For example, there was a beneficiary from China got denied for K-1 visa because she did not tell that she will going to visit her then-boyfriend when she applied for a tourist visa. Her approved B-2 visa was revoked and her K-1 visa was denied. Another story, there is a guy from Georgia applied for a tourist visa to visit his boyfriend. On his application he wrote just wanted to visit " a friend". He got denied for B-2 visa. Based on the first case, many people on VJ - including me- assumed he will get denied for K-1 visa. Guess what? He got approved for K-1 visa. What a lucky fella he was.

The moral story, what people might think it is misrepresentation probably is not. My advise, talk to CO that your situation has been changed during the process and both of you have chose not to stay after visit the US. It will give you peace of mind. Sometimes what is worst in your mind usually it is not in your reality. Wish you all the best.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.