Ryan&Bea

1st XRAY shows suspicion of TB, is 2nd XRAY possible?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJyers!

Has anyone tried requesting for a second X-ray in case the first one shows up 'suspicion of TB'.

I'll be having my medicals with my 19month old son tomorrow and I dread having to deal with the whole process again as I am from the province. (not to mention the added airfare and hotel cost). I called SLEC about my son having to undergo Tuberculin skin test as it was stated in their site that 2-14yrs old are required to do so). The person I talked to from SLEC said the doctor seeing us will decide whether my son needs it or not. I have no qualms with that even if my son is 5months short of being 2yrs old.

NOw my questions is: Has anyone experienced DEMANDING for a second Xray before agreeing to settle with the 2month sputum test. Is this even an option cos I read somewhere in the SLEC site that additional Xray costs $7. or is it their prerogative to order one for you when they deem necessary?

ANy response will be highly appreciated.. Thanks

Edited by Ryan&Bea

04-06-14 became friends online

05-06-14 met in person

05-17-14 we"officially" dated

05-23-14 got engaged (L)

07-07-14 FedExed I29F to Texas Lockbox

07-09-14 case received and routed to CSC

07-10-14 alien registration # assigned

10-01-14 NOA2 approval thru website (no txt nor emails but awaiting hardcopy) :wow:

10-09-14 NOA2 hardcopy received (delay due to address change)

10-20-14 NVC received, MNL# was given

10-20-14 CEAC status 'AT NVC'

10-21-14 visa fee payment for K1and K2 posted via BPI online

10-22-14 CEAC status 'IN TRANSIT'

10-23-14 CEAC status 'READY'

11-05-14 received SLEC medical clearance for K1/K2

11-05-14 attended 9am CFO seminar

11-14-14 USEM Interview (my USC fiance tagged along, Yey!)- APPROVED :dancing:

11-21-14 CEAC status 'ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING'

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I've read TONS of people who first take the TB skin test and it shows positive, then they take the X-ray and it's fine.

Even the doctor told me it could be positive don't be scare. But it was fine.... They say there is some old vaccine some countries put years ago where the results may show a false positive. But with X-ray it's usually real results.

Am I understanding first test was a X-ray already????? Not a skin test right?????

Or you didn't take any and are just worried??

I'm confused about that :) but if it show positive they will look again for sure before signing any documents

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Here are the different categories when it comes to the results of TST: http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/testing/skintesting.htm

And what IRIScv says is true, the BCG immunization which is still given in the PHL as part of the basic childhood set can give a false positive.

The 2nd Xray which you are asking about, is this for yourself or for your child?

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Timeline

SLEC xray can show a very tiny scarring in your lungs, it doesn't mean you are positive with TB. Then you will have to undergo sputum exam. But you may want to ask them for 2nd x-ray, but it won't change the results though. It's US rules, unfortunately we don't have a choice but to submit. We have to abide with it. My mom had to do sputum exam, it was very costly in terms of lodging and airfare as we are from Leyte. But we had to comply just for our american dream. US just wants to make sure immigrants doesn't have active TB coming to the US soil. Just pray your x-ray is clear. Good luck.

AOS Journey

1/31/16 - Got married

2/24/16 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent

2/29/16 - Received Date

3/03/16 - Received text and email notification

3/04/16 - Check cashed

3/07/16 - I-797 hardcopy received

3/19/16 - Biometric scheduled received by mail

4/06/16 - I-485 online status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview

4/15/16 - I-485 online status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED

4/17/16 - Interview Notice hardcopy received

4/28/16 - AP & EAD approval date

5/02/16 - AP approval letter received

5/05/16 - EAD card received

5/17/16 - AOS interview

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CASE APPROVE dated 5/18/16

5/23/16 - Received AOS approval letter in the mail

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CARD WAS MAILED TO ME

5/24/16 - Card was picked-up by USPS (online status)

5/26/16 - Green Card on Hand!!! :goofy:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJyers!

Has anyone tried requesting for a second X-ray in case the first one shows up 'suspicion of TB'.

I'll be having my medicals with my 19month old son tomorrow and I dread having to deal with the whole process again as I am from the province. (not to mention the added airfare and hotel cost). I called SLEC about my son having to undergo Tuberculin skin test as it was stated in their site that 2-14yrs old are required to do so). The person I talked to from SLEC said the doctor seeing us will decide whether my son needs it or not. I have no qualms with that even if my son is 5months short of being 2yrs old.

NOw my questions is: Has anyone experienced DEMANDING for a second Xray before agreeing to settle with the 2month sputum test. Is this even an option cos I read somewhere in the SLEC site that additional Xray costs $7. or is it their prerogative to order one for you when they deem necessary?

ANy response will be highly appreciated.. Thanks

SLEC has to follow CDC guidelines, if the x-ray shows something that causes "concern" for TB then they have to do the sputum. You are not the one to call for a second x-ray.

As for the child, IF they decide to do the skin test that is a three day medical process, best to do the medical Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

THanks for all your insights. I will update you soonest if they require my son to have a TST even if he is not yet 2yrs old.

We will be having our medical examination tomorrow. I hope everything goes smoothly. I'm, more often than not, paranoid with this sorta stuff. I just don't wanna mess up the things that I can personally control. ... but I accept those that I can't. I'm overly prepared and I feel better going to SLEC and CFO this week.

Good luck to everyone. :dancing:

05-06-14 met in person

05-23-14 got engaged (L)

10-01-14 NOA2 approval thru website (no txt nor emails but awaiting hardcopy) :wow:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The doctor does not have to do TST on a 19 month old baby but he can if he deems it necessary.

As for you, SLEC x-ray is mandatory, and they must order sputum if x-ray cannot clear you.

Despite the horror stories, most people do clear all these tests. The reason it seems from this board that most people don't is because the ones who fail post much more frequently than the ones who pass.

And if they find confirmed TB, look at it this way: Untreated TB will kill you. So be glad they found it and will cure you.

Timeline

The doctor does not have to do TST on a 19 month old baby but he can if he deems it necessary.

As for you, SLEC x-ray is mandatory, and they must order sputum if x-ray cannot clear you.

Despite the horror stories, most people do clear all these tests. The reason it seems from this board that most people don't is because the ones who fail post much more frequently than the ones who pass.

And if they find confirmed TB, look at it this way: Untreated TB will kill you. So be glad they found it and will cure you.

thanks again! we're done with the medicals (or almost). We were asked to come back tomorrow at 1pm onwards for the immunizations. We're getting 3shots each. Doctor decided that my son doesn't need the TST because of his age and the risk factors are very low. I guess you should just be honest and know your child's medical history. my son got admitted dec 2013 and july 2014 both for pneumonia. we also travelled to kuala lumpur for 10days when he was still 4months old. After those queries were answered doc cleared him and sent us for immunization instead of TST. So we have an extra day in Manila to do whatever. YEY! thanks for all your help fellow VJyers!

btw, a 45 minute SLEC medicals is feasible. we started at 2:14pm and finished at 3:49pm. i timed it well to make sure i can share my experience accurately. i bumped into another K1 beneficiary as she was leaving the premise the time i came in. she said she started at 5:30am. took her almost 9hours as compared to my less than 2hrs (considering i have a K2 who also undergoes half the process). I could have finished earlier but I got a 40minute wait on physical exam. the mom and daughter who came prior me made the doc's job harder. i assumed the mom is begging for the doc to process her daughter even if she still has her period. while the doc is already rushing out the exam room with their papers, i overheard the mom insisting in tagalog that the flow is very light and it should be fine. she even asked for the docs full name (maybe to file a complaint) after she knew she wont get her way. But its the clinic's rule for doc's names to remain anonymous to avoid biases.

reading forums here in VJ has helped me a lot. I went to SLEC with a K2 and zero nanny or assistant but everything was easy breezy. be overly prepared! it makes you a lot more confident in pursuing this journey! good luck everyone!

OFF to CFO tomorrow! xx

05-06-14 met in person

05-23-14 got engaged (L)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Glad you got it all done and cleared just fine. It seems that getting there late in the day is a smart idea, after the long lines are all gone.

As for the mom and her daughter, they can' t do it during the period, period. A doctor who defies that requirement can get fired. They need a clean urine test for ladies, as they need to know if she is pregnant, as that alters the safety protocols they need to use. Also if blood interferes with the physical exam and somebody with a Class A condition gets through, both the doctor and SLEC will be asked questions they do not want to answer. Their contract with the State Department is big bucks for them, so no way they are going to blow that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.