jc1

I-134 "extra" documents

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm filling out the I-134 and the instructions say tax returns are only needed if you are self-employed. However, from all the reading I've done on here I get the impression people are sending in their tax returns even if they are not needed. Is this correct? If so, what other "extra" documents are people including, and is it really necessary? Thanks for your thoughts!

The I-134 instructions give a guideline for what evidence you can bring, none of it is exactly required, but some of it may help your case. The evidence you are required to bring to the embassy is listed in the embassy instructions.

USEM requires the most recent tax return and W2. This is listed in the embassy instructions, and they DO ask for it.

You can include letters of employment and recent pay stubs to prove current income. Its not on the list of required documents, but if it will help your case you can bring it.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

I'm doing the same thing right now and here is why you absolutely need the form 1040 and w-2 (ITR)...check out item "K".

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/325288/packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_10%20October%202013_.pdf

USCIS BE LIKE.......WE ARE WORKING AS FAST AS WE CAN GUYS!

snail_mail.jpg

28 Sep 2014 -- Mailed I-129F

01 Oct 2014 -- I-129F Delivered to USCIS

06 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 Received via Text/Email

14 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 Hard Copy Received

23 Oct 2014 -- Petition Approved as per USCIS website

30 Oct 2014 -- NOA2 Hard Copy Received

07 Nov 2014 -- NVC Received Petition

10 Nov 2014 -- NVC Case Number Assigned

17 Nov 2014 -- Status Update "Ready for Interview" as per CEAC website

20 Nov 2014 -- NVC Case# Notice Received

22 Nov 2014 -- Medical

16 Dec 2014 -- Interview

18 Dec 2014 -- 221(g) Received via email

22 Dec 2014 -- RFE Instructions received via email

05 Feb 2015 -- RFE Requirements submitted

15 Apr 2015 -- Visa Issued as per CEAC Website

17 Apr 2015 -- Received Embassy Email, Visa on the way!!!!

20 Apr 2015 -- Visa OnHand :)

27 Apr 2015 -- CFO Appointment

Timeline

The I-134 instructions give a guideline for what evidence you can bring, none of it is exactly required, but some of it may help your case. The evidence you are required to bring to the embassy is listed in the embassy instructions.

USEM requires the most recent tax return and W2. This is listed in the embassy instructions, and they DO ask for it.

You can include letters of employment and recent pay stubs to prove current income. Its not on the list of required documents, but if it will help your case you can bring it.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting - I didn't think to check the embassy for additional requirements. All I found was the info below (from here). Is that what you are referring to, or is there more info someplace else I'm not seeing?

Form I-134 Affidavit of Support: The I-134 Affidavit of Support is required for returning residents (SB-1), fiancé(e)s or spouses of U.S. citizens (K1, K3), children of K1 and K3 applicants, and applicants with special immigrant status. A copy of the sponsor's most recent Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040) should accompany the I-134. Faxed copies of the ITR are acceptable.

Timeline

I'm doing the same thing right now and here is why you absolutely need the form 1040 and w-2 (ITR)...check out item "K".

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/325288/packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_10%20October%202013_.pdf

Thanks ChEd. Great link! I had that saved, but hadn't combed through it yet. Perfect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You might not "need" extra documents but I would rather have them just in case they are asked for by the embassy. Ultimately it's up to you but the extra documents will not take long to gather so I would highly recommend sending them. I would send the following:

-3 years tax returns, W-2, and IRS Transcripts

-Copy of about 3 recent pay stubs

-Notarized Letter from employer

-Notarized Letter from bank

I would much rather my fiance has more documents than are needed instead of not having one that is requested. Again, up to you though.

Timeline

Thanks ChEd. Great link! I had that saved, but hadn't combed through it yet. Perfect.

Your welcome jc1....we are only days apart our beneficiaries might even interview around the same date :yes: ....where in PI is your fiancé from if you don't mind me asking?

snail_mail.jpg

22 Nov 2014 -- Medical

16 Dec 2014 -- Interview

Timeline

Your welcome jc1....we are only days apart our beneficiaries might even interview around the same date :yes: ....where in PI is your fiancé from if you don't mind me asking?

She's in Mindanao. Koronadal City to be exact. Yeah, we probably would interview around the same time except my fiancee is waiting on her passport, which (in that part of the Philippines) can take a few months.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm filling out the I-134 and the instructions say tax returns are only needed if you are self-employed. However, from all the reading I've done on here I get the impression people are sending in their tax returns even if they are not needed. Is this correct? If so, what other "extra" documents are people including, and is it really necessary? Thanks for your thoughts!

I would not go by the instructions for the I-134, this form is designed with other purposes in mind. The requirements are stated in the embassy instructions letter for the most recent tax return and W-2.

For details on the K-1 process for USEM follow the flashing arrow below.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

You might not "need" extra documents but I would rather have them just in case they are asked for by the embassy. Ultimately it's up to you but the extra documents will not take long to gather so I would highly recommend sending them. I would send the following:

-3 years tax returns, W-2, and IRS Transcripts

-Copy of about 3 recent pay stubs

-Notarized Letter from employer

-Notarized Letter from bank

I would much rather my fiance has more documents than are needed instead of not having one that is requested. Again, up to you though.

For the Philippines only the most recent tax return and W-2 is required (not 3 years), the tax transcripts are basically the same as the tax return.

Employment letter doesn't need to be notarizes, same with bank statements.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

For the Philippines only the most recent tax return and W-2 is required (not 3 years), the tax transcripts are basically the same as the tax return.

Thanks for clarifying. I went to the IRS website and got my 1040 and W-2 for the last 3 years. I was wondering about notarizing the employment letter and bank statement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Never said any of this was needed. Just throwing it out there that it might be a good idea, just in case.

Timeline

Never said any of this was needed. Just throwing it out there that it might be a good idea, just in case.

But you do HIGHLY recommend ;)

".... so I would highly recommend sending them."

Maybe for India over-kill and paranoia are SOP but no real reason in the Philippines to DO-DO when DO will DO.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Maybe for India over-kill and paranoia are SOP but no real reason in the Philippines to DO-DO when DO will DO.

thats a good one Hank....i will borrow that do-do of yours one day and use on on here... :rofl:

snail_mail.jpg

22 Nov 2014 -- Medical

16 Dec 2014 -- Interview

Timeline

I as at some seminar many years ago and that nugget was tossed out there, made me grin so ....... :lol:

Another one that I bumped into was " around to it", people are always saying they will get something or another done when they get around to it.

So for those waiting to get around to it... here ya go!!

tuit.jpg

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.