saraio

Is a change of name going to delay the oath ceremony?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

I'm having my interview next month and I know that in my field office if you are approved they tell you to go and get scheduled for the next oath ceremony... a friend of mine was interviewed on a Tuesday and she had her oath ceremony that same week on Friday.

My question is regarding a change of my name, I'm taking my husband's last name and I'm also getting rid of an "H" that makes my middle name sound weird in English... but could this delay the process?

Maybe just taking my husband's name would not be a big deal and I can leave my middle name the same?

Thanks for your help :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

My lawyer said that yes, name change does delay the oath ceremony because you will need to wait for a judicial ceremony that is administered by a federal judge.

With no name change, you can do an administrative ceremony held by the USCIS. Administrative ceremonies are the smaller ones done by the district office and they take place much more often (and allow for same-day oaths in many cities).

N-400 arrived on 09/26/2014.

Interview on 03/25/2015.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I'm having my interview next month and I know that in my field office if you are approved they tell you to go and get scheduled for the next oath ceremony... a friend of mine was interviewed on a Tuesday and she had her oath ceremony that same week on Friday.

My question is regarding a change of my name, I'm taking my husband's last name and I'm also getting rid of an "H" that makes my middle name sound weird in English... but could this delay the process?

Maybe just taking my husband's name would not be a big deal and I can leave my middle name the same?

Thanks for your help :)

Please see this post for some answers:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500304-info-on-same-day-ceremonies-name-changes/

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for your info and the link, I found out that the judicial ceremonies are held once a month at my field office so I'm guessing since my interview is in the middle of the month then it would be held in December... I really want to change my last name to my husband's because I have 2 last names due to being Latin and I really dislike that, so I guess it will take a bit longer but I prefer to get it done :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for your info and the link, I found out that the judicial ceremonies are held once a month at my field office so I'm guessing since my interview is in the middle of the month then it would be held in December... I really want to change my last name to my husband's because I have 2 last names due to being Latin and I really dislike that, so I guess it will take a bit longer but I prefer to get it done :)

One more thing; if the only change you are making is to take your spouse's last name, you often don't need a legal name change. You will just get your naturalization certificate in your new name and your marriage certificate will serve as your proof of name change because it has your maiden name and your husbands name on it. If this is the case then you can have a judicial or an administrative ceremony. It depends on whether your interviewer fills out an official name change form or if he/she uses the marriage certificate as proof.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.