Janelle2002

Mormon Church Admits For First Time That Founder Joseph Smith Had A 14-Year-Old Bride

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Arranged marriages are a different cultural standard.

Generally speaking though, those cultures tend to be hierarchical in nature and marriage has a different meaning - it's more about social class and social mobility than marrying someone you love. However, you will probably find that those cultures place value in women as a commodity rather than an individual with a mind of their own.

Well, that's the way things were done back then, whether or not we agree with it today.

As for the ownership of consent.... there are cultures today who still don't see that as a valid argument. I know an Indian couple who met for the first time during their marriage ceremony. They're still married 52 years later.

I also know a guy who said his dad paid for his mom when she was very young, because she was pretty and he wanted her. (Can't remember what country they were from)

yes, that's how things were back then. and i'm saying, i'd like us not to go back to those times. i don't understand the nostalgia for a time when ten year olds were normally married and maybe/maybe not having sex, depending upon how patient their spouse was..

i'm aware that plenty of cultures are still bass ackwards and refuse to recognize females as actual human beings. but you're not going to convince me that arranged marraiges or ownership of another person (even if she's pretty and available for purchase) are okay. because i'm a girl, so, i'd like to keep my autonomy. maybe if i were a guy i'd feel more lax about it.

Let me clarify my position for you:

• I believe children mature at different rates.
  • I do not believe 10-year olds should be having sex.

Yes, they do mature at different rates. This I agree with. That doesn't mean if they have matured at a quicker rate they are ready to be someone's wife. Just saying this because you didn't include it in your response.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, they do mature at different rates. This I agree with. That doesn't mean if they have matured at a quicker rate they are ready to be someone's wife. Just saying this because you didn't include it in your response.

Of course not. As I said, that's why there's such as thing as the age of consent.

yes, that's how things were back then. and i'm saying, i'd like us not to go back to those times. i don't understand the nostalgia for a time when ten year olds were normally married and maybe/maybe not having sex, depending upon how patient their spouse was..

i'm aware that plenty of cultures are still bass ackwards and refuse to recognize females as actual human beings. but you're not going to convince me that arranged marraiges or ownership of another person (even if she's pretty and available for purchase) are okay. because i'm a girl, so, i'd like to keep my autonomy. maybe if i were a guy i'd feel more lax about it.

The guy promises to wait, but really he won't. Like in this case. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/child-bride-dies-wedding-night-yemen-article-1.1450874

The guy promises to wait, but really he won't. Like in this case. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/child-bride-dies-wedding-night-yemen-article-1.1450874

That's pretty sick.

The country passed a law in 2009 setting the minimum age for marriage at 17. It was later repealed after conservative lawmakers said it went against Islamic teachings.

This is why government and religion need to remain divorced.

I remember this. Saw a documentary about arranged marriages but it only focused on kids. Meaning an 8 year old gets married to someone the same age but after the wedding they each go back to their parents' house. The marriage isn't consummated until around 16 or 17.

No other reason for marrying a 6, 10 or 14 year old than to pretty much gurantee the bride is a virgin.

Prolly some truth there. Though I don't get the fascination with virgins.

I remember this. Saw a documentary about arranged marriages but it only focused on kids. Meaning an 8 year old gets married to someone the same age but after the wedding they each go back to their parents' house. The marriage isn't consummated until around 16 or 17.

Yep. Well this is not the same as being married off and sent to live with a 40 year old for sure.

I would hate to be promised to someone by the age of 8. :cry: I feel sorry for these kids.

Yep. Well this is not the same as being married off and sent to live with a 40 year old for sure.

I would hate to be promised to someone by the age of 8. :cry: I feel sorry for these kids.

The problem is that some of these people have gained knowledge from experience and try to do better. But then there are others who are blinded by religion/custom/money that they send their children to slaughter.

Sidenote: Glimpsed an article once that said the perfect age (in terms of body health & development) for having babies is 16.......

Sidenote: Glimpsed an article once that said the perfect age (in terms of body health & development) for having babies is 16.......

i have a hard time accepting that as truth across the board. lots of females' bodies at sixteen still haven't ironed out all the kinks hormonally..maybe 16 was true a generation or so back but i think environmental distubances come into play nowadays (hormones in food..)

I would hate to be promised to someone by the age of 8. :cry:

Imagine how upset you're gonna be when my attorney shows up on your doorstep with the contract your parents signed years ago giving you to me.

Now go fix me a ham sammich and some sweet tea.