chonguaphilia

China Wife without birth cert, Hukou or parent's marriage cert

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She should go to the Gong Zheng Chu (my spelling is probably off) and ask them what she needs to get a birth certificate made. It will be free, and it will be translated in white book format. I went through a similar experience, and after a lot of running around, it turned out not to be that difficult in the end. The Gong Zheng Chu is a good place to start though, since they are the ones who will actually make the birth certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I don't have an answer, but I am curious if you or anyone else can elaborate on how one gets an ID or passport without having a birth certificate, since as far as I understand the birth certificate is considered a primary document necessary to get any form of identification—and anything that doesn't require it (like a driver license in the fifty states in the U.S.) still requires other documents that you couldn't get without having a birth certificate in the first place (Social Security card, passport, et cetera).

The Chinese government didn't make a regular practice of issuing birth certificates until well into the 90's. The canonical document of identity in China is the hukou (family register).

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Update with more snags:

Wife was able to get notarial birth certificate (White Book with translation). However, the document only indicates her identiy,: photo (same one as passport and driver's license) ID#, Date/Place of birth along with ID #s and names of her parents (who were never married) AND it does NOT include a statement to meet the requirement as stated in the "K Visa Instructions" published by the US Consulate General, Guanzho: "The certificate must also indicate that the public office extracted the information from official records" as found at http://ustraveldocs.com.

The notary official(whose office is located within the same office in which our marriage was processed) indicated that the document meets the requirements from the US visa process. He will not likely amend the document to include the requirement mentioned.

Mind you, as in a previous post, her hokou includes only her and her brother's names (sans parents) due to multiple births to scofflaw parents.

Is the notarial birth cert.adequate without the statement?

Your consideration and patience are most appreciated!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Update with more snags:
Wife was able to get notarial birth certificate (White Book with translation). However, the document only indicates her identiy,: photo (same one as passport and driver's license) ID#, Date/Place of birth along with ID #s and names of her parents (who were never married) AND it does NOT include a statement to meet the requirement as stated in the "K Visa Instructions" published by the US Consulate General, Guanzho: "The certificate must also indicate that the public office extracted the information from official records" as found at http://ustraveldocs.com.
The notary official(whose office is located within the same office in which our marriage was processed) indicated that the document meets the requirements from the US visa process. He will not likely amend the document to include the requirement mentioned.
Mind you, as in a previous post, her hokou includes only her and her brother's names (sans parents) due to multiple births to scofflaw parents.
Is the notarial birth cert.adequate without the statement?
Your consideration and patience are most appreciated!

China issues their own birth certificates - the consulate merely ACCEPTS them. That is, they do not dictate what goes in the document. Trying to have one generated to your own specification can be MUCH more than just an exercise in futility.

As long as it's an actual GongZhengShu 公证书 from the Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu) (which you refer to as "notarial birth certificate - White Book with translation"), the consulate should recognize the document as what it is.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.