Mistaken311

PROCEDURES FOR FILING FOR CITIZENSHIP CLARIFICATION?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

​First let me apologize if this thread has already been created. I am getting ready to file for US citizenships and I would like to know as much as I can before I start the process. Here is my immigration journey to date:

05/05/2009 - Political Asylum granted

05/05/2010 - Green Card approved ***

*** My green card wasn't really backdated to my asylum date because I filed a little too late.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does USCIS always reroute form N-400 to field offices? The closest field office to my address is New York City
  2. I am applying under the 5 year rule, do I still need to submit tax returns or bring them to the interview?
  3. What does the processing times mean for form N-400? USCIS website says March 2014. Does this mean they're processing application as of March 2014?
  4. If such is case to question 2, then why does my friend who applied April 1, 2014 been approved already?
  5. My official filing date is 05/05/2015. However, I am filing under the 90 day rule. My 90 days would 02/05/2015 but I will filed at the end of February just to be on the safe side. All other thing being equal and I am approved, when is the soonest I will be allowed to take the ceremony?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. Yes

2. Yes, paying taxes is one of the important things to USCIS

3. It means little, frankly, as the apps are processed by individual offices; some take a few weeks, other several months. March 2014 is probably the average.

4. Because of 3.

5. 5/5/2015 is the earliest date you can take your oath, as that is what makes you a citizen.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

​First let me apologize if this thread has already been created. I am getting ready to file for US citizenships and I would like to know as much as I can before I start the process. Here is my immigration journey to date:

05/05/2009 - Political Asylum granted

05/05/2010 - Green Card approved ***

*** My green card wasn't really backdated to my asylum date because I filed a little too late.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does USCIS always reroute form N-400 to field offices? The closest field office to my address is New York City
  2. I am applying under the 5 year rule, do I still need to submit tax returns or bring them to the interview?
  3. What does the processing times mean for form N-400? USCIS website says March 2014. Does this mean they're processing application as of March 2014?
  4. If such is case to question 2, then why does my friend who applied April 1, 2014 been approved already?
  5. My official filing date is 05/05/2015. However, I am filing under the 90 day rule. My 90 days would 02/05/2015 but I will filed at the end of February just to be on the safe side. All other thing being equal and I am approved, when is the soonest I will be allowed to take the ceremony?

1. Yes. It will be routed to the field office based on your address. This should be the one closest to you, but may not be. Use the field office locator to determine your actual field office.

2. You shouldn't have to provide tax returns under the five year rule. You may have issues if you are behind on taxes, but tax returns are really only needed to show you are still married to a USC when filing under the three year rule.

3. Be sure to check when that information was last updated. These processing times are usually way out of date. So if it says March 2014 but was last updated in August, you can probably expect that they are further along than that but the website hasn't been updated.

4. See 3.

5. You are best to look back through some of the other monthly threads to see the timelines for others filing through your field office. This is the best way to determine what kind of timeline you could expect.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.