DW&E

Helpless situation

8 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are new to this site but have been in the visa process for 14 months and are really so distressed by the NVC. My husband is in the States and myself and two children are applying on I130 s to join him. Having spent 9 months being processed with the USCIS the applications were forwarded to the NVC where all 3 applications have got separated. After having them for 90 days we received a checklist for myself and one of daughters to send in new application forms as the originals were not correct. Our attorney assured us that they were correct but never the less we have sent in new forms only to be told another 60 days was needed to look at them. The cases are supposed to be linked yet despite emails and phone calls to the NVC we are going around in circles. Nothing that we send gets a response and phone calls sound hopeful but produce nothing. Another thanksgiving. And Christmas going by without our family being together. It's appalling.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

sorry to hear that, the visa process can be really hard,disturbing and painful. but there is nothing to do, we are all on the same boat, we have to wait, i myself stuck in the 60 days period, nothing to do but waiting.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Timeline

We are new to this site but have been in the visa process for 14 months and are really so distressed by the NVC. My husband is in the States and myself and two children are applying on I130 s to join him. Having spent 9 months being processed with the USCIS the applications were forwarded to the NVC where all 3 applications have got separated. After having them for 90 days we received a checklist for myself and one of daughters to send in new application forms as the originals were not correct. Our attorney assured us that they were correct but never the less we have sent in new forms only to be told another 60 days was needed to look at them. The cases are supposed to be linked yet despite emails and phone calls to the NVC we are going around in circles. Nothing that we send gets a response and phone calls sound hopeful but produce nothing. Another thanksgiving. And Christmas going by without our family being together. It's appalling.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things become better soon.

One minor thing though: I have heard that there is no need to worry about applications being separated. Even if one application gets accepted before the others, as long as you have paid only one AOS fee, it will be held at NVC till other applications are approved. There would be only one interview. Not sure if that is what you are worried about right now, but thought would mention.

Timeline

Thank you for your encouraging words. I think my worry is that we are caught in a endless cycle of NVC errors that will never be solved. It would be great if what you say is correct. Thank you again.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I think my worry is that we are caught in a endless cycle of NVC errors that will never be solved. It would be great if what you say is correct. Thank you again.

Why don't you start reading the NVC forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/83-national-visa-center-dept-of-state/ and learning all you can about the process there. It is possible your lawyer has actually got it wrong. Many do. At least you could learn the details and oversee what has or hasn't been done properly.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

You might also want to see if your husband's congressmen can do something. Asking their office for assistance has helped other members, especially if you plead your story correctly.

I would read all about the NVC process here on VJ, especially Saylin's wiki here and try to review all the material that your lawyer is sending. It looks like many lawyers make simple mistakes that could end up costing you another 60 days. If you notice a mistake, you can be proactive and send the corrected material/forms without waiting to receive the checklist.

Finally, call NVC and ask for a supervisor review. The representatives who answer the calls are only call center workers who don't actually review your file. From what I've read, supervisors are very good at calling back and helping to get things in order. I certainly think a supervisor review is justified given the amount of time you've already waited.

You could always try to get an expedite, but that might make things even more separated and lost! In any case, good luck to you. Keep your head up!

Spoiler

19 Jan 2014 Married

USCIS

11 Apr 2014 I-130 Sent

17 Apr 2014 NOA1

02 May 2014 NOA2

NVC

21 May 2014 NVC Received

06 June 2014 Case Number, INI, and BIN generated

06 June 2014 AOS bill / DS-261 generated

03 July 2014 Paid AOS bill

03 July 2014 DS-261 completed and sent electronically

07 Aug 2014 AOS package sent

12 Aug 2014 AOS Package received by NVC (scan)

20 Aug 2014 DS-261 accepted

20 Aug 2014 IV invoice generated

20 Aug 2014 IV invoice paid/printed cover sheet

21 Aug 2014 DS-260 completed and sent electronically

22 Aug 2014 IV package of supporting documents sent

27 Aug 2014 IV package received by NVC (scan)

07 Sep 2014 Realize error on AOS (AGI vs. Total Income)

09 Sep 2014 AOS I-864s (joint sponsors) resubmitted

11 Sep 2014 AOS Re-submit received by NVC (scan)

16 Sep 2014 60-day notice received (note: this is the first 60-day notice I have ever received)

20 Oct 2014 CASE COMPLETE! (AOS and IV)

Embassy

08 Dec 2014 Medical Appointment

22 Dec 2014 Interview and APPROVAL!

27 Dec 2014 Receive passport and paperwork from the embassy

POE/Post Entry

23 Feb 2015 POE at Houston - No problems on entry

01 Mar 2015 Received SSN via USPS

02 Apr 2015 Received physical green card

ROC

19 Dec 2016 Sent I-751 Packet

26 Dec 2016 NOA1 Received

12 Jan 2017 Biometrics Appointment

14 Feb 2018 Infopass Appointment (LA) for ADIT Stamp

15 May 2018 ROC APPROVED! (I-797 NOA received 5/21/18 - GC in production!)

My lawyer filled out our AOS incorrectly and I was beyond furious. I sent the corrected AOS myself 2 days after I realized he sent the incorrect AOS after I begged him to make corrections before sending. I did end up getting a checklist for the incorrect AOS but thank god my corrected version was only scanned 2 days later. I feel like you have to stay on top of the lawyers AND NVC. Saylin's WIKI really helped me. Hanging out on the NVC thread was really helpful too. Just being able to see when others were getting CC's eased my mind. The more you read , the more you educate yourself. Most people who hire a lawyer, either complain that the lawyer made many mistakes and/or the lawyer worked slower than molasses. Mine did both. I ended up doing the whole NVC myself.

If it makes you feel better... Call NVC several times and ask the same questions. I used to call 3 times a day. Calling them saved me valuable time.

There are some veterans who hang out on the October NVC thread. I am sure there are a few who had multiple people being processed and can ease your mind. Go over to that thread and post this question. SAYLIN has been around for many years and has seen many different situations.

Good Luck..

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Timeline

You might also want to see if your husband's congressmen can do something. Asking their office for assistance has helped other members, especially if you plead your story correctly.

I would read all about the NVC process here on VJ, especially Saylin's wiki here and try to review all the material that your lawyer is sending. It looks like many lawyers make simple mistakes that could end up costing you another 60 days. If you notice a mistake, you can be proactive and send the corrected material/forms without waiting to receive the checklist.

Finally, call NVC and ask for a supervisor review. The representatives who answer the calls are only call center workers who don't actually review your file. From what I've read, supervisors are very good at calling back and helping to get things in order. I certainly think a supervisor review is justified given the amount of time you've already waited.

You could always try to get an expedite, but that might make things even more separated and lost! In any case, good luck to you. Keep your head up!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will look into the supervisor review, that a great thought and I hadn't heard of that so thanks again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.