Visaseeker14

Approval of second Permanent Residence - Will it affect my case?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have won the DV-2015 lottery and hopefully I will get my interview call some time soon. Before I had won the DV lottery I had already applied for Australian Immigration as I wanted to explore more work opportunities. My Permanent residence will be approved after my medical and Police clearance has been processed and I was thinking when I go for my interview with the visa officer for my US DV, will another country's Permanent Residence status affect my chances during the interview for my US green card approval?

The visa officer could ask me why do I need to go to the US when I already have the Australian PR approved? I might go and spend some time in Australia before my interview for the US green card I intend to keep my US green card and not pursue the Australian passport.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Kind Regards.

Of course not. Your application in another country has no effect on your US application.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Of course not. Your application in another country has no effect on your US application.

This is only true if he abandons the australian application (as he says he will). If you apply for another country after you get your green card it is obviously a case for being deemed to have abandoned residence in the US. That's not the case here but just clarifying your statement for others.

Filed: Timeline

This is only true if he abandons the australian application (as he says he will). If you apply for another country after you get your green card it is obviously a case for being deemed to have abandoned residence in the US. That's not the case here but just clarifying your statement for others.

Hi Suzie,

Just to clarify, I will not be abandoning my Australian PR application. Infact I will first get my PR (Permanent Residence) from Australia then I will plan on filling out my DS 260 form so that there is no overlap in anyway ie. it doesn't seem to the agent I had filled and sent my DS 260 before being granted my Australian PR.

So the idea is to go through with the application BUT when my interview for the US diversity visa is scheduled I will go ahead and attend the interview and then abandon my Australian PR after I am issued the green card just to make sure I am not left without an option.

Do you think that will still not have an affect on my US Green card chances? Whether I have a PR from another country or not before filling my DS 260

Kind Regards.

Edited by Visaseeker14

Yeah that should be fine.

By the way, you don't get a green card at the interview. You get an immigrant visa. Once you enter the U.S. on that visa, only then do you become a permanent resident/green card holder.

May seem pedantic to specify all this but some people seem to get a bit confused about what happens when exactly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.