Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

J1 Social Security Number, now entering on K1 Visa

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland

Hi All,

I have a social security number from when I was in the US on a J1 student visa.. I will now be moving to the US on a K1 visa.. Can I use the original number that I was given or do I need to apply for a new one? Does anyone have any experience with this?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no option whether to get a new number - the SSN you received on J1 is yours for life. Just make sure you update SSA when you get EAD/GC so they can print you a new card with no restriction on it (allowed to work with USCIS authorization only which is common for students, K1)...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...