Froggy Morgane

A job before the interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I have been selected for DV 2015 with EU00021... :dancing:

which should make us an appointment around March or April (if I read the statistics correctly).

Since we didn’t want to lose time, my husband began to search for a job. Happily, he found one quite rapidly.

Maybe a little bit too rapidly since he is supposed to go in November (when the visa is ready).

The kids and I won’t go before at least Christmas, but I don’t really want to wait until March or April.

Does anybody know if it is possible to transfer our file to the US ? And if it is, is there a possibility that it will delay the time of our appointment (which was supposed to be March or April) ?

We'll also have to change all our DS260.

Thank you if you have any advice.

Morgane.

Wait, first things first. Is the employer arranging a H1 or L1 visa for your husband? And the rest of the family as dependents of same?

If you are able to go on a valid dual intent visa (such as the above) then yes you can adjust status once you are there.

You can't go on something like a visitors or other non-immigrant visa (including under the VWP) with the intent of staying to adjust status.

Do be aware that adjusting status does often mean that you end up with a green card later than you would have under consular processing. (Another option of course is to go on a suitable visa and then fly back to your home country for the interview.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for the answer

We are going with a L1.

I was afraid that adjusting status might delay the process.

Do you know if it just delays it (with the same chance) or if we move down the list ?

I wouldnt want to lose it all just because we wanted to be on the safe side concerning our own support in the US.

Even if we chose to pay a little visit to the family around Easter, Im not sure that you have any choice concerning the day of the appointment, have you ?

Thanks again for all the guidance you share on this forum. It is really valuable.

No, you don't get to choose the date of the appointment... You get told the date, if you are doing CP. If you are doing AOS, you send in your docs when you are able to and then...kind of wait for an indeterminate and uncertain length of time to be notified for biometrics and appointment, for some people it happens fast, for others it takes quite a while.

Your number is not too high so I don't think you would be jeopardisng the visa by doing AOS. There is another forum with a lot of discussion about the process and it's just my impression that people tend to get their visas later, and with more hassle, than doing CP. But it's entirely doable and you have time to deal with any unexpected delays. I would just caution that you ensure you know exactly what process to follow and consult with experts (on the net, not attorneys happy to take your money without helping you) as a number of people report issues with USCIS officers unfamiliar with the process - as DV AOS is a tiny portion of both dv and more importantly of AOS in general.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the answer

We are going with a L1.

I was afraid that adjusting status might delay the process.

Do you know if it just delays it (with the same chance) or if we move down the list ?

I wouldnt want to lose it all just because we wanted to be on the safe side concerning our own support in the US.

Even if we chose to pay a little visit to the family around Easter, Im not sure that you have any choice concerning the day of the appointment, have you ?

Thanks again for all the guidance you share on this forum. It is really valuable.

Google 'forums immigration DV AOS' for a link to another forum if interested in getting a detailed understanding of DV AOS processing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.