POA

Sponsor and Beneficiary change of address question.

8 posts in this topic

Hello again!

So, me and my husband moved to our new place in July, I filed my AR-11 online within 10 days and got the confirmation online. My husband didn't do any change of address but the usps. My questions are;

1. Should I be receiving another letter of confirmation regarding the change of address in the mail or the online confirmation is enough?

2. I just saw now that he needs to file the I-865 within 30 days of the move, are we gonna be in trouble for not doing it within 30 days?

I didn't think he needed to do any change of address since I already did it. I know that thought was wrong.

Thanks in advance!

He won't get in trouble. This is hardly enforced. Just change it now and you will be fine.

This does not constitute legal advice.

You should get a change of address letter in the mail ... I received one about a week after changing online.

Really? I haven't received mine and it has been months. :( I will call them to check if it went through.

Thanks!

He won't get in trouble. This is hardly enforced. Just change it now and you will be fine.

HI! I know you said he won't get in trouble. On the form there is an effective date of the new address. If we put the July date which is way more than 30 days from now, do you think they will just let it go? I read the instructions and it says something about the penalties as required by USC 1183a. Hay... I just worried. hehe

The old address can still be his alternate address since that's his mom's house. We are still resident of that state since our car and driver's license still has that address. We are just physically not there.

Edited by POA

Well personally, I haven't seen it as being enforced. I know plenty of LPR's who haven't even bothered to report their address to USCIS. I didn't even know this was a requirement until I read about it on this site. My cousin for example got his conditional GC last year when he lived in Boston and I did his change of address form a few months ago. Also people who are sponsors have done the same thing. USCIS simply does not have the resources to track down and penalize every sponsor and/or LPR who didn't change their address in time. Just put down the date that you moved, you won't have a problem.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Well personally, I haven't seen it as being enforced. I know plenty of LPR's who haven't even bothered to report their address to USCIS. I didn't even know this was a requirement until I read about it on this site. My cousin for example got his conditional GC last year when he lived in Boston and I did his change of address form a few months ago. Also people who are sponsors have done the same thing. USCIS simply does not have the resources to track down and penalize every sponsor and/or LPR who didn't change their address in time. Just put down the date that you moved, you won't have a problem.

Thank you! We will do that! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.