GBCW

4 Ways to Retain Gen Xers

55 posts in this topic

ExExpat - many of the big dogs in the Fortune 500 are doing it. It's not as unusual as you may think. Although I think it should be.

so you're saying you work for acorn..

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

WTEFF?? Generational Awareness Training?

1. You work for Google?

2. You work in California?

3. Starbucks?

4. Nancy Pelosi?

5. Ben and Jerrys?

6. Acorn?

In the movie "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman, the Indians he lived with also had generational training. They trained the tribe elders to go disappear on the rocks so they wouldn't hold everyone else back.

I work in healthcare. Why do you think a single advil tablet is billed $6 in a hospital.

My employers requires managers to go through that training. Because every generation needs to be managed differently. With the Millennials, it's basically "walk on eggshells because those babies are sensitive". Oh, and they're good at social media (and the rest of us are not, reality notwithstanding).

Ours breaks down to:

Baby boomers - sticklers for rules, work good in groups, don't like change, get to work too early and stand around at the punch clock waiting to clock in.

Generation X - don't like rules, work good by themselves, don't care about change because they don't give a ####### anyway, barely make it to work by the end of the grace window for punching in.

Millennials - work good in groups or by themselves, change is OK, get to work right on time, just don't leave them alone or they'll be surfing the web all day.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

ExExpat - many of the big dogs in the Fortune 500 are doing it. It's not as unusual as you may think. Although I think it should be.

During my remarkiable career as a prostitute, I have seen lots of silly things big companies force upon their captive audience employees. The naming of this particular one, "Generational Awareness Training" is condescending from the get-go. It smacks of liberal liipstick in that there is no way to substantiate generational complexities. For example, do they have video of Joe and Martha who are older than dirt and the gold standard for that generation? Maybe Joe and Martha enjoy alternative sex partners, donkeys and farm animals. Dingbat and Babbling Brook are the gen-xers who were born of hippies, but became anti pot; the Alex P. Keaton's of today's world.

I would like to attend the class with several spit-wads to shoot on the video screen and between the trainer's eyes.

Edited by ExExpat

I work in healthcare. Why do you think a single advil tablet is billed $6 in a hospital.

Ours breaks down to:

Baby boomers - sticklers for rules, work good in groups, don't like change, get to work too early and stand around at the punch clock waiting to clock in.

Generation X - don't like rules, work good by themselves, don't care about change because they don't give a ####### anyway, barely make it to work by the end of the grace window for punching in.

Millennials - work good in groups or by themselves, change is OK, get to work right on time, just don't leave them alone or they'll be surfing the web all day.

Except for the time clock part, that's me to a tee! :lol:

Filed: Timeline

A lot of that is so true too. I hate rules. I can't stand people telling me the rules. I work best solo, late at night, between midnight and 4 am, which is why I'm usually walking in late too...

But not caring about change? I wouldn't say that's true at all. I do care, especially when it affects me.

wow. that's me to a t. thank goodness for flextime, huh.

But not caring about change? I wouldn't say that's true at all. I do care, especially when it affects me.

this is true. i only care when it affects me, and then i become wilford brimley grumpy.

Timeline

Except for the time clock part, that's me to a tee! :lol:

I think that's how it is though. There are some things that can influence a whole generation, but still a lot of individual variation. Depends a lot on how much influence our parents have vs our peers too I think. And a lot of other things.

For example, they said baby boomers tend to be naturally competitive because there were so many of them born at the same time that you had to compete with siblings, in school, 1st job etc. That seems to make sense, and yet, I think anyone can go through that no matter when they were born.

On the other hand, I do remember my grandparents generation though, saving every scrap of food to use for something. Even bread crumbs. They also saved their money under the bed instead of in the bank. I always thought going through something like WW2 or the great depression must have had that influence on a lot of people from that generation, cause they all did that, so there is something to it.

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

A lot of that is so true too. I hate rules. I can't stand people telling me the rules. I work best solo, late at night, between midnight and 4 am, which is why I'm usually walking in late too...

The first time I was at the training, I suggested that just because I don't throw a fit about everything doesn't mean I don't care. That just made the baby boomers defensive. I thought the generation X'ers would help me out but they didn't seem to care, And the millennials were busy fooling around with their smart phones and didn't even notice.

Now I just eat the free cookies and don't say anything.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The first time I was at the training, I suggested that just because I don't throw a fit about everything doesn't mean I don't care. That just made the baby boomers defensive. I thought the generation X'ers would help me out but they didn't seem to care, And the millennials were busy fooling around with their smart phones and didn't even notice.

Now I just eat the free cookies and don't say anything.

Don't eat too many cookies unless you want those damned Millenials to judge you.

Timeline

so you're an xer too?

Yeah barely though. I figure I'm old enough to remember all the ####### the baby boomers pulled and young enough that I'll probably still be around to get blamed for it.

Yeah barely though. I figure I'm old enough to remember all the ####### the baby boomers pulled and young enough that I'll probably still be around to get blamed for it.

Hmm. then censor starting to catch some very benign words. I'll have to say poop next time.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

probably so. stay away from my social security :ranting: