DarkKiss

Unpaid bank loan and lawyers involvement

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

So my fiancée informed me today that he had an unpaid bank loan in the DR from year 2008 that has turned over to an attorney. The attorney advised him that they can stop him from receiving a visa and detain him from leaving the DR because of this. Can they do that? The original amount owed was $500 dollars but now it has been turned over to an attorney and the amount has accumulated to an outrageous amount. What are our options? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

R’cd NOA 1- 12/19/2021, Assigned - Nebraska Service Center

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Suggest that you retain appropriate DR legal counsel in order to receive appropriate legal courses of action.

~Moved from K1 Process to Caribbean Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

What power does an attorney has to stop the visa process? I do not know, but the attorney can stop him from traveling.

Even if the loan problem does not become an issue and the visa gets approved, I know that some lawyers can get an "impedimento de salida" ...it is like a restriction to travel outside the DR, as a "medida de coercion" (don't know how to say that in English) very easy..a friend of mine was actually moving to Spain and the day she was leaving, she was stopped at the airport by the security, she couldn't travel that day. She found out that the restriction was related to a fender bender several months before, and it was even paid off. But the lawyers of the owner of the other car got the restriction during the process, and she didn't even know she had one...it took her two weeks to resolve the issue, and a new plane ticket.

The problem is, that not always the restriction is lifted after the legal issue is done. There was a news report in the DR last year about the huge amount of still active "impedimentos" and that so many of the persons affected with it don't even know they have one until they try to leave the county either for vacation or work...and you know what? the "impedimento de salida" cost only $330 pesos, yes I think a judge has to approve it, but I know its a rather fast process....And it does not have to be a big criminal case, my friend got one because a traffic bender, and people can get it for not paying child support.

What I am trying to say, your fiancé should find out if he has one, and if it he does, be sure it is legally lifted before traveling when his legal issue is resolved....I know all this because there are so many lawyers in my family.

Best of lucks for your fiancé ..I really hope everything goes well.

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Timeline

What power does an attorney has to stop the visa process? I do not know, but the attorney can stop him from traveling.

Even if the loan problem does not become an issue and the visa gets approved, I know that some lawyers can get an "impedimento de salida" ...it is like a restriction to travel outside the DR, as a "medida de coercion" (don't know how to say that in English) very easy..a friend of mine was actually moving to Spain and the day she was leaving, she was stopped at the airport by the security, she couldn't travel that day. She found out that the restriction was related to a fender bender several months before, and it was even paid off. But the lawyers of the owner of the other car got the restriction during the process, and she didn't even know she had one...it took her two weeks to resolve the issue, and a new plane ticket.

The problem is, that not always the restriction is lifted after the legal issue is done. There was a news report in the DR last year about the huge amount of still active "impedimentos" and that so many of the persons affected with it don't even know they have one until they try to leave the county either for vacation or work...and you know what? the "impedimento de salida" cost only $330 pesos, yes I think a judge has to approve it, but I know its a rather fast process....And it does not have to be a big criminal case, my friend got one because a traffic bender, and people can get it for not paying child support.

What I am trying to say, your fiancé should find out if he has one, and if it he does, be sure it is legally lifted before traveling when his legal issue is resolved....I know all this because there are so many lawyers in my family.

Best of lucks for your fiancé ..I really hope everything goes well.

Wow,, I totally appreciate your information. Very educational. So happy I found someone who has attorneys in the family. Now I completely understand the situation. As long as we pay the attorney and get paper proof that it has been paid, he will be allowed to leave the country if the visa is approved of course?. Thanks again for the helpful info.?

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

Wow,, I totally appreciate your information. Very educational. So happy I found someone who has attorneys in the family. Now I completely understand the situation. As long as we pay the attorney and get paper proof that it has been paid, he will be allowed to leave the country if the visa is approved of course?. Thanks again for the helpful info.?

Hey no problem. If he has lawyers in his family, then he knows.

Again best of lucks :)

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Timeline

and how do you know if you have an inpedimento de salida ?

As I understand it,, sometimes the lawyers inform you or you might not know anything until you are leaving the country and they can stop you b4 you pass through the airport checks. If you think that there is a possibility that you have something out there that needs to be taken care of, and you are planning to leave, best to contact that office to find a solution and clear it up in advance. My fiancée met with the attorneys yesterday, made a deposit and entered into a contract of repayment. I have to say that his experience with them was very bad. He said he was threatened constantly and was shown a list of about 27 or more people's name on the list preventing them from leaving the country. This list had been authorized by a judge.

I don't really understand the legal system in the DR, but I do believe that when it comes to having someone detained, MONEY talks with the Judge. Corruption maybe, can't confirm. Not my place to talk down on a country, but from my limited experience dealing with my fiancées case, I have found that the police and the legal system is a far cry from Justice. As I said before, we have entered into a payment plan which should be cleared up by end of this month.

NOTE; IMHO ........

I do not pretend to know anything about the legal system in the DR

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY In the DR or the USA.

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Lawyers paid!!! Receipts of payment in hand! Ready for the completion of this journey..........?

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.