Honey&Bunny

Do I have two submit two original of everything!?

17 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I am sending the civil documents to NVC to complete the IV application on behalf of my husband and step-daughter on Tuesday. I am really confused about the civil documents that I have to submit. So, I have one original step-daughter's birth certificate, husband's birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificate, 2 photographs (hubby only) copies of their biography passport page, and the certified translations of everything. I don't have two original documents of everything, is that going to be a problem? I am only asking because since I am petitioning for the two of them, I don't know if I am supposed to send originals to each case. If someone has done this, please let me know what I am supposed to send. Like always, thanks a million!

Hi, you don't need two of everything, only whatever is asked for in each case. So you would need two marriage certificates because you need one for your husband and the other one for your stepdaughter. One BC for husband, one BC for stepdaughter, police records for dad only and copy of cedula for dad only unless stepdaughter is 16 or older. copy of passport of each. You need two separate AOS with separate supporting docs, but I assume you sent those in already. Also the DR embassy doesn't require translations. You need the originals and photocopies of everything. The only things you don't send original is the passports and the cedula. And the pictures of each. You would attach the docs of each behind their own case cover letter.

Ask me if you still need help.

This does not constitute legal advice.

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

You need 2 US passport sized photos for both your husband and your step-daughter.

Each has their own casefile correct?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Good thing NLR mentioned the passport photos.

OP: In the DR, I have noticed there are many places that don't take the photos properly or cut them properly. My cousin for example, had photos taken that were 1.5 by 2 in. I don't think he had issues, but you definitely want to make sure the pics are properly taken and the right size.

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

You need 2 US passport sized photos for both your husband and your step-daughter.

Each has their own casefile correct?

I don't have photos of her but I am working on getting them. A friend of my husband is traveling to Florida on Thursday, and he is going to mail me the photos as soon as he can. I was thinking of submitting the documents and make sure that I mention the fact that I am working on getting the photos, and that I will send them as soon as can possibly can. Does that make sense? Should I wait for the photos and waist precious time or NVC won't start prossecing anything until they have EVERY SINGLE ITEM?

Hi, you don't need two of everything, only whatever is asked for in each case. So you would need two marriage certificates because you need one for your husband and the other one for your stepdaughter. One BC for husband, one BC for stepdaughter, police records for dad only and copy of cedula for dad only unless stepdaughter is 16 or older. copy of passport of each. You need two separate AOS with separate supporting docs, but I assume you sent those in already. Also the DR embassy doesn't require translations. You need the originals and photocopies of everything. The only things you don't send original is the passports and the cedula. And the pictures of each. You would attach the docs of each behind their own case cover letter.

Ask me if you still need help.

Hi, so funny how I didn't think this through. The reason why I asked, was because I have two separate cases, and since I am petitioning for my husband, NVC asks for BC for any children that he has. I can't wait to be over with this whole process!

I'm not sure if they will delay your case for not sending the photos. I personally wouldn't send anything until I know I have everything in order to avoid a possible checklist.

I don't have photos of her but I am working on getting them. A friend of my husband is traveling to Florida on Thursday, and he is going to mail me the photos as soon as he can. I was thinking of submitting the documents and make sure that I mention the fact that I am working on getting the photos, and that I will send them as soon as can possibly can. Does that make sense? Should I wait for the photos and waist precious time or NVC won't start prossecing anything until they have EVERY SINGLE ITEM?

Considering a checklist would cost you another 60 days at the NVC, I would avoid sending them afterward.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I do not believe the child needs a marriage certificate in their NVC package, only your husband would. Your husband doesn't need his daughter's birth certificate in his package.

In hers:
her birth certificate, photocopy of the bio data page of her passport, and 2 passport photos. It's also a good idea to include any sole custody paperwork and/or a letter from the other parent stating it is okay for the child to be immigrating to the USA. Preferably notarized. (or death certificate of the other parent)

In his:
His birth certificate, photocopy of bio data page of his passport, 2 passport photos, your original marriage certificate, any divorce decrees from him, and his police certificate (Certificate of No Judicial Records/Certificado de No Antecendentes Judiciales)

Edited by NLR

I was just rereading the instructions and it doesn't say that the stepdaughter needs an original marriage cert from the dad. It's odd, I assumed they needed it because they only asked for the copy at the USCIS stage, therefore I assumed they would want to see the original at one point. You should call the NVC about this to be 100% because you wouldn't want a checklist, the embassy in DR is very particular sometimes.

As for the custody, do not be concerned at this point. The embassy in DR doesn't require any letter of custody or permission from the other parent in order to issue the visa. The CO will just ask if the child has permission from the other parent, he/she will not request any docs. You will need to get the consent form from Migracion in order to exit the country with the child, which I believe you saw in another thread.

Also remember that the docs like the MC and BC's have to be inextensa, legalizada and apostillada. A lot of people forget to get them this way and their case is put in AP. Which in DR I believe they call "cita abierta." For the police record (papel de buena conducta), you will need an updated one for the day of the interview. So I would get it like a few days before, so it could be as recent as possible.

I'm not sure if you will be going with your husband, but I highly suggest that you do since the embassy in DR strongly recommends that the spouse goes. They tend to deny those that go by themselves.

Edited by Ian H.

Thanks guys, it is all clear to me now. I guess that I am going to have to wait for the photos to send the documents. I wanted to send them as quick as I can because I am really hoping that I can get them here before the year ends (ONE CAN ONLY DREAM).

CBP may require proof even if the consulate does not. My daughter needs travel consent every time she travels alone or with only one parent and crosses the border.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello guys, I am sending the civil documents to NVC to complete the IV application on behalf of my husband and step-daughter on Tuesday. I am really confused about the civil documents that I have to submit. So, I have one original step-daughter's birth certificate, husband's birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificate, 2 photographs (hubby only) copies of their biography passport page, and the certified translations of everything. I don't have two original documents of everything, is that going to be a problem? I am only asking because since I am petitioning for the two of them, I don't know if I am supposed to send originals to each case. If someone has done this, please let me know what I am supposed to send. Like always, thanks a million!

copies vs originals:

For NVC Doc Submittal, on Civil Docs, submit:

1. original or certified copy [certified by the issuing authority] and

2. a photocopy.

Unsure about this two sets of original document requirement per human, as I've never heard/read/dreamt of it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, you gots to VJ by computer and internet access, so why not use them again to get some speed?

1. make passport photos using digital camera where the humans are. Easy to do, just be certain of the guidelines for what constitutes a passport photo. not need to go to any passport photo store or agency, simply get the right background color and go forth.

2. email the photos to you. no printing scanning prior, just suck em off the digital camera.

3. set up online account at CVS or Walgreens - upload the digital images to them, order prints online.

4. go to CVS or Walgreens and pick up yer passport photos.

I would not rely on mail, postal mail, etc, to get photos into your hands.

yes, you want to submit a COMPLETE packet into NVC, if'n you want some speed.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

well, you gots to VJ by computer and internet access, so why not use them again to get some speed?

1. make passport photos using digital camera where the humans are. Easy to do, just be certain of the guidelines for what constitutes a passport photo. not need to go to any passport photo store or agency, simply get the right background color and go forth.

2. email the photos to you. no printing scanning prior, just suck em off the digital camera.

3. set up online account at CVS or Walgreens - upload the digital images to them, order prints online.

4. go to CVS or Walgreens and pick up yer passport photos.

I would not rely on mail, postal mail, etc, to get photos into your hands.

yes, you want to submit a COMPLETE packet into NVC, if'n you want some speed.

Thank you Darnell, I have one more question... I just printed out the cover sheet that I am supposed to send to NVC with the civil documents and it says; You MUST RETURN this cover sheet with the completed forms and required documents.... Am I supposed to print out the IV applications and send them in? I thought that I just supposed to submitt them online! Please, please, can you clarify that for me.... Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.