Missjadey

At what point may i apply for Nexus?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be moving with my K1 visa next week. I know I cannot go back to canada Until i recieve my Adjustment of Status. Is that the point that I would be able to apply for a Nexus card? or Do i have to wait for something else?

Timeline

I think you can apply for nexus whenever you want. The tricky thing for you would be where to interview maybe? If you select somewhere in Canada, then you'd need AP first, but you can interview in the US. You could call one of the offices to check for sure though, that's what I would do.

When I applied for mine, it took 4-5 months to get an interview and I am sure it is similar to visa interviews... could be fast or slow.

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Advance Parole

When you file to Adjust Status after you marry, you can apply for Advance Parole in order to travel out of the country prior to receiving a green card. You can also apply for Employment Authorization, which lets you work before getting your green card. Ours took about 2.5 months before we received the AP, and almost 6 months before we had the green card. So it basically gets you 3 months of work/travel. It costs nothing if filed with the Adjustment of Status paperwork.

Do not leave the US until you have either the AP or Green Card in hand.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Nexus card is entirely separate from immigration - the way you've worded your question seems to imply you want to know when to do it, as if its part of your Visa journey.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Being able to be finished with my "visa journey" and travel back home to see my family is an important part of my journey. Being able to apply for a Nexus card to make that easier on myself and my husband once im married is also important?

Have i met your requirements for asking the question with my answer? I realize its a completly seperate process, which was why i was asking when the appropriate time would be to apply for it.

Everyone travelling would have to have a NEXUS. You can apply at anytime. It is completely independent of anything related to immigration. The process can take a while. NEXUS automatically enrolls you in global entry as well and precheck without the extra fees.

You really should have zero issues travelling without a nexus once you have your green card but I find it does make the lines through customs and security faster.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I see you are in Bellingham, to the question of where you will interview, it would be easiest in Blaine right at the truck crossing on the US Side. Ditto on the everyone must do Nexus.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

Hopefully you got all your answers OP?

You can apply for Nexus any time you want, no need to wait until you want to. The application is very straight forward and is totally separate from visas. http://www.cbp.gov/t...-programs/nexus

You will need to do an interview, but Rob L noticed there is a location near you in the US, so no need to come back to Canada for it unless you chose to (You chose where to interview and there is a list of locations online). If you chose a location in Canada, just make sure you have permit to travel if you are already adjusting status in the US. This is a form you send in with the adjust status application and all the info is in the guide on here.

The interview is extremely simple too... you go in and speak with a Canadian and US customs person at the same time and they will approve you on the spot. From there (assuming you get approved) they take finger prints and retina scans and explain how to use nexus.

Everyone in your travel party needs nexus to use it (i.e. you can't bring a spouse through a nexus lane unless you both have cards).

For $50, this is totally worth it... though sometimes I find the regular lane is faster, nexus I get less hassle usually.

Congrats on getting your K-1!

K-1 Visa Timeline

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For what it's worth, I applied for Nexus on June 14. Conditional approval was August 8. Our appointments are set for mid-September. Gives you an idea of the current wait.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.