a+j

Conditional green card VS permanent authorization for US employment

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Whenever I read a job post that states something like "Must have permanent authorization for US employment", I wonder:

As a conditional permanent resident, am I considered as permanently authorized to work here?

Technically, my ROC could still be denied (although I'm 100% sure this won't happen in my case - we have tons of evidence of bonafide marriage).

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Yes, you are. Employers typically don't know much about conditional residency anyway, and your 10-year GC is going to have an expiration date as well (just 10 years from when it gets issued).

Whenever I read a job post that states something like "Must have permanent authorization for US employment", I wonder:

As a conditional permanent resident, am I considered as permanently authorized to work here?

Technically, my ROC could still be denied (although I'm 100% sure this won't happen in my case - we have tons of evidence of bonafide marriage).

Any insight greatly appreciated!

The only difference between the conditional GC and a 10 year GC is that your LPR status expires when the conditional GC expires--that is why you must file for ROC 90 BEFORE the conditional GC expires. The 10 year GC expires, but your LPR status does not. Both GCs require you to maintain your status in the same way and both grant you the same rights. The only difference in the card itself is a conditional GC is CR6 and a 10 year GC is IR6 (this is from a K-1 visa). The form used to renew is also different in that for a 2 year GC you file the I-751 and for the 10 year GC you file the I-90.

An HR person who is on-top of immigration and their job will ask you to come back after the 2 year GC expires and provide another I-9 document as the current one is now expired. Most do not even know to do that. Just remember that a LPR is a LPR is a LPR with all the rights and responsibilities of being a LPR.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.