rita2109

DS-260 question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I've submitted my DS-260 last week but for some reason I started questioning everything I wrote there.

My case number is EU40*** and if judging by the visa bulletin for 2014 my chances are lass than good.

I was just wondering, in case that for some reason I don't qualify for an interview or some additional details are needed in the DS260,

will I be notified about that and if so than when?

Thanks

Hi all,

I've submitted my DS-260 last week but for some reason I started questioning everything I wrote there.

My case number is EU40*** and if judging by the visa bulletin for 2014 my chances are lass than good.

I was just wondering, in case that for some reason I don't qualify for an interview or some additional details are needed in the DS260,

will I be notified about that and if so than when?

Thanks

Too soon to be either optimistic or pessimistic about your chances for interview.

KCC will contact you if something is left out of your DS260, and around 6-8 weeks before your interview. If you submit a form, you will get an interview (assuming your number gets current) - KCC fact cannot judge eligibility for visas, only a consular officer can do that, so all forms get processed for interview.

Hi I have several questions about filling DS260 form:

1) When I filled DV2015 "primary" application before winning lottery (in Octomber, 2014), in present address field I wrote incorrect postal code, although address was correct
(Now I am writting same address with correct postal code in DS260 form, in present an mailing address).
Now I wonder if it would be a problem? Are they using "primary" application's address for anything? As I know they only send passport to this present(mailing) address when they approve visa after interview.
2) If previous work address, telephone or name has been changed, should I write new information?
3) As I have read on this forum I should write estimate dates as I remember them for start and finish dates for study and work, it is not necessary to write exact days, Is that right?
3) Can I change information after submit DS260 form, for example permanent address in USA? If yes when and how do this?
4) If at interview consul will not like my personal financial support, can he immediately cancel my case? Or he should give me a time to find sponsor in USA?
If yes how long is that time?

1. No problems, nothing is sent by mail

2. Write what is correct at the time you submit the DS260.

3. Yes

4. Yes, you can do it at the interview or at the port of entry

5. You will get put on AP subject to proving your finances. As for time, as long as visas are available so either till they run out of visas or the fiscal year ends on 30 Sept.

2. Write what is correct at the time you submit the DS260.

5. You will get put on AP subject to proving your finances. As for time, as long as visas are available so either till they run out of visas or the fiscal year ends on 30 Sept.

Thank you for replay

2. Yes it's understandable for work to indicate new address, but in my case problem is school, which does not exists any more, it became part of the other school, and I have diploma in which is written old school name. If I will indicate new school name in DS260 and at interview bring diploma with old school name I think it will be confusing for them, so I think it will better to indicate old school name and address in DS260. Don't you think so?

5. What means "AP subject"? What kind of documents should I provide to prove my finances? Documents from bank account? documents about my property? for example car? Salary extraction from bank? or what more?

And if I have enough legal finance for living in USA during several months, could consul say no for visa? Does consul have right by law to refuse in such case? It is not travel or business visa in which consul may have doubt on staying in USA and say no for this reason. Am I right?

Thank you for replay

2. Yes it's understandable for work to indicate new address, but in my case problem is school, which does not exists any more, it became part of the other school, and I have diploma in which is written old school name. If I will indicate new school name in DS260 and at interview bring diploma with old school name I think it will be confusing for them, so I think it will better to indicate old school name and address in DS260. Don't you think so?

5. What means "AP subject"? What kind of documents should I provide to prove my finances? Documents from bank account? documents about my property? for example car? Salary extraction from bank? or what more?

And if I have enough legal finance for living in USA during several months, could consul say no for visa? Does consul have right by law to refuse in such case? It is not travel or business visa in which consul may have doubt on staying in USA and say no for this reason. Am I right?

Write the old and new name and address of the school, and bring some kind of proof that it is the same school. Get a letter from them if you need to.

The CO will want to see evidence that you won't be a public charge. It could be the value of assets you can sell or a bank account etc. Your salary will be meaningless as you will have to resign your job to move. If you are well qualified in a field with lots of jobs available in the US that may be enough to satisfy him or her too. There is no simple guideline for this one. Age, education, experience, savings, assets all play some part and some can offset others.

The CO will want to see evidence that you won't be a public charge. It could be the value of assets you can sell or a bank account etc. Your salary will be meaningless as you will have to resign your job to move. If you are well qualified in a field with lots of jobs available in the US that may be enough to satisfy him or her too. There is no simple guideline for this one. Age, education, experience, savings, assets all play some part and some can offset others.

Yes I know it's confusing and unclear. This is extraction from US Embassy in my country's required documents list:

" O. EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT.

You should be able to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge. A completed I-134 Affidavit of
Support Form with original signature will be useful to the consular officer to evaluate your petitioner’s
ability to be financially responsible for you. You should also submit your petitioner’s most recent U.S.
Federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Form W-2). Employment letters stating
salaries and bank statements may be included to substantiate the I-134. Form I-134 is available at
As I understand from this text it is not mandatory to have I-134 document, it;s only one best way to proof support. Is that right?

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

hey everyone,

i sent KCC an email telling them if i would have to update my ds 260 form since i moved from sweden to nepal recently. so i asked them if i would have to change this in the form or i could do it at the embassy during interiview. i also asked them if i would have to update my passport info (i have a new machine readable passport now with new passport number and a new validity period). A week later i received an email saying thanks for your query, it might take some time to unlock your ds 260 form as we have to go serially and we will send you an email... blah blah blah... they didnt really answer my questions. idk what i should do. any ideas guys?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

judging by the visa bulletin for 2014 my chances are less than good.

Well, the DV bulletin for August 2014 says 40,150, which I don't think is that bad. I think that they'll get to current in September, though I'm mostly basing it off of it getting to current every year for the past 10 years or so...

Born in Romania, been living in the US since 2007 (F1 visa)

F1 visa 2007-2011, 2011-2016 - OPT received August 25, 2014

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number EU30,7xx - Interview estimate: May/June 2015 (?) - Might try to do AOS though it looks like it might be worse this year

Well, the DV bulletin for August 2014 says 40,150, which I don't think is that bad. I think that they'll get to current in September, though I'm mostly basing it off of it getting to current every year for the past 10 years or so...

The advance notification for September is in the August bulletin and remains at the 40150 cutoff. So even if there is a slight adjustment in the final numbers (which I personally doubt) there is no way EU will go current.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Oh, wow. I didn't realize the August bulletin was out yet. That's really on the edge, good luck rita2109!

Born in Romania, been living in the US since 2007 (F1 visa)

F1 visa 2007-2011, 2011-2016 - OPT received August 25, 2014

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number EU30,7xx - Interview estimate: May/June 2015 (?) - Might try to do AOS though it looks like it might be worse this year

Hi, I am answering to this three questions like below, Am I right?

Have you ever applied for a Social Security number? Answer : NO

Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card? Answer YES

Do you authorize disclosure of information from this form to the Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, and such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the purposes of assigning you a social security number (SSN) and issuing you a Social Security card and do you authorize the Social Security Administration to share your SSN with the Department of Homeland Security? Answer : YES

Hi, I am answering to this three questions like below, Am I right?

Have you ever applied for a Social Security number? Answer : NO

Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card? Answer YES

Do you authorize disclosure of information from this form to the Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, and such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the purposes of assigning you a social security number (SSN) and issuing you a Social Security card and do you authorize the Social Security Administration to share your SSN with the Department of Homeland Security? Answer : YES

It's correct assuming of course that you have not actually applied for a SSN before.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.