yassmine2878

Work auth needed for SSN?

28 posts in this topic

Ahmed and I are trying to decide if he should go through New York to get the temporary work authorization. Will the auth help us in getting his SSN faster? Is it going to help at AOS? I already posted in the Working and Traveling forum, but it's not frequented as much as this forum and I thought Id get a little better help here. Especially since alot of you have just gone through the same situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ahmed and I are trying to decide if he should go through New York to get the temporary work authorization. Will the auth help us in getting his SSN faster? Is it going to help at AOS? I already posted in the Working and Traveling forum, but it's not frequented as much as this forum and I thought Id get a little better help here. Especially since alot of you have just gone through the same situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

nessa and i went thru houston. houston didn't stamp her i-94 with the temp ead. the ssn office, being unable to read their own regulations, gave us a hard time about her not having the temp ead on her i-94. in disgust, we went to the local uscis office here in kansas and told them what was going on, and they stamped her i-94 with the temp ead. the ssn office was happy then. so for us not going thru jfk was not a big deal.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

nessa and i went thru houston. houston didn't stamp her i-94 with the temp ead. the ssn office, being unable to read their own regulations, gave us a hard time about her not having the temp ead on her i-94. in disgust, we went to the local uscis office here in kansas and told them what was going on, and they stamped her i-94 with the temp ead. the ssn office was happy then. so for us not going thru jfk was not a big deal.

So if we just toodle over to the local USCIS office if we have trouble? I would love to bypass JFK and get Ahmed a more direct flight home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So if we just toodle over to the local USCIS office if we have trouble? I would love to bypass JFK and get Ahmed a more direct flight home.

No you would deal with the people at SSA office. Most do not have problems with SSA, just follow the guide here on VJ, they tell you to print a page from SSA website and you can point out section C on that page that K-1 holders can get SSN.

See: https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had no problems w/ getting SSN w/ no temp EAD... He came thru DC and did not get the stamp - applied for SSN 2 weeks after arrival, card arrived 1 week later! :thumbs:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jamal came thru JFK as I live in NY so he got his temp EAD but I don't think that that had anything to do with getting his SS. They just examined the K-1 visa and issued a SS on this basis only...is it worth to go thru JFK - I don't think so...the stamp is only valid for 3 months and it takes a little longer to get the EAD card. I guess it is a personal choice and as well as how soon will you be filing the AOS...Good luck...

Dorothy

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
Jamal came thru JFK as I live in NY so he got his temp EAD but I don't think that that had anything to do with getting his SS. They just examined the K-1 visa and issued a SS on this basis only...is it worth to go thru JFK - I don't think so...the stamp is only valid for 3 months and it takes a little longer to get the EAD card. I guess it is a personal choice and as well as how soon will you be filing the AOS...Good luck...

Dorothy

The part that is unclear is whether merely getting the SS card allows them to work. The SS dept answered my question with an email saying yes they can get a SS card on the K1 without the EAD. However, on another forum, someone brought up the point that while the K1 holder can indeed get the card, the employer cannot employ them without the EAD. So those of you who got the SS card without EAD, please speak up, for Gabi's sake.. :D Ok Yeah mine too. :innocent:

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline

No you would deal with the people at SSA office. Most do not have problems with SSA, just follow the guide here on VJ, they tell you to print a page from SSA website and you can point out section C on that page that K-1 holders can get SSN.

See: https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument

yet the kc ssn office didn't even want to read that, they insisted nessa had to have an ead stamp so we finally obliged them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
The part that is unclear is whether merely getting the SS card allows them to work. The SS dept answered my question with an email saying yes they can get a SS card on the K1 without the EAD. However, on another forum, someone brought up the point that while the K1 holder can indeed get the card, the employer cannot employ them without the EAD. So those of you who got the SS card without EAD, please speak up, for Gabi's sake.. :D Ok Yeah mine too. :innocent:

I thought he could from another forum, then the guy at the SS office said he could too - but a member here (who I know does her homework and knows the laws pretty well) told me that no, he could not. Then when SS card arrived, it indeed said "NOT ELIIGBLE FOR EMPLOYMENT W/O DHS AUTHORIZATION" - I'm not sure it's really worth it anyway b/c it's only 3 months and that's *if* you had a job from day 1.

It's def not worth the risk of "under the table" employment if they are caught - possible deportation for the SO and huge fines for the employer! Put them to work at home while you wait for EAD and/or volunteer work to meet some folks and make some connections - possibly even learn a new skill!

Just my experience & opinion...

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Timeline

Dorothy

You have to decide if him being eligable to work is important or not. Not all local offices will grant the Temp EAD. Simo went thru JFK and we had no problems at all getting his SS card or anythingv else. When he got a job however, they did ask for proof of work authorization on his I-94 in order to fill out the I-9, plus they asked for original documentation of his A (alien) #, which the only place we had it was on the NOA's.

Edited by carshel

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline
It's def not worth the risk of "under the table" employment if they are caught - possible deportation for the SO and huge fines for the employer!

Actually a K1 holder *is* authorized to work as long as the I-94 is valid even without the temp EAD, the problem is that an employer is required to ask for proof of this authorization, and the only valid form is the temp EAD. If one were to work without the temp EAD, they wouldn't be doing anything wrong (and not subject to deportation), as long as they subsequently declared that income when filing their taxes. It is the employer who would be subject to fines, etc. for not verifying eligibilty for employment.

IOW it's a big confusing mess! :lol:

My husband got the temp EAD when he arrived, but I can't say that it sped up or made easier any part of the process.

Filed: Timeline

Something else to consider... for Mohammed the thought of not being able to work made him CRAZY. We spent 2 weeks of him moping, frustrated and bored to death because he felt so useless. The social security office gave him a letter when he applied for his number telling him that letter along with his temporary EAD on his I-94 should help ease any discomfort his future employer may have until he gets his ss card. Now he has relaxed a whole lot knowing everything is in place, even if its just temporary until he gets the EAD, and he CAN work. However, as others have said, the ss card will stated "not authorized to work".

Timeline
Something else to consider... for Mohammed the thought of not being able to work made him CRAZY. We spent 2 weeks of him moping, frustrated and bored to death because he felt so useless. The social security office gave him a letter when he applied for his number telling him that letter along with his temporary EAD on his I-94 should help ease any discomfort his future employer may have until he gets his ss card. Now he has relaxed a whole lot knowing everything is in place, even if its just temporary until he gets the EAD, and he CAN work. However, as others have said, the ss card will stated "not authorized to work".

any chance he can do volunteer work? also, now that it's winter, i'm sure some elderly people in every neighborhood needs help with snow removal and such.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

Actually just knowing he isn't currently restricted was what it took to help him over that hump. There is so much for these guys to adjust to when they get here and then stick them in a situation where they can't be "men" (this is the MENA we're talking about) is just difficult. Some may show it more then others, but I think its still just another strain when they're new here. (Don't EVEN ask me about the hand soap in the dishwasher...)

Timeline
(Don't EVEN ask me about the hand soap in the dishwasher...)

i've already got a visual :D bubble bath everywhere! :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.