G&Mhk

Last minute medical/interview questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife's medical examination is in 2 days and her interview is at the US consulate in 1 week.

I am filled with fear and worry and can't sleep 'cause I'm panicking about every little detail.

Here are my basic questions:

1) We submitted original documents to the NVC. So what do we take to the interview? We only have copies now. The NVC has the originals.

2) How much evidence to submit? We have no bills/bank statements together here in HK and none in the US yet 'cause my wife obviously doesn't have a SSN yet. We have been married for more than a year and have been living together in HK all that time.

3) My wife didn't register the marriage in the PH yet 'cause she was afraid they would force her to change her name and we wanted all the paperwork to be in the same name (maiden name) as in her passport. (We started the processing for the US visa about 3 weeks after the wedding). Problem?

4) My wife's co-sponsor has to send me one corrected form again. She's had to correct this one part on the form (number of immigrants in the household) about 3 times already. If it's still wrong or not what they are looking for, will my wife's visa get denied?

5) How likely are denials for married couples like us? Denials for a typo or mistake? As far as I can see, we have submitted everything we needed to submit so far except the medical examination results.

Thanks!

Hi,i dont know how to move this topic to the sub forum but at the bottom of the main visa journey page,there is a link for the philippine forum.These questions will be answered if you post it there.

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

My wife's medical examination is in 2 days and her interview is at the US consulate in 1 week.

I am filled with fear and worry and can't sleep 'cause I'm panicking about every little detail.

Here are my basic questions:

1) We submitted original documents to the NVC. So what do we take to the interview? We only have copies now. The NVC has the originals.

2) How much evidence to submit? We have no bills/bank statements together here in HK and none in the US yet 'cause my wife obviously doesn't have a SSN yet. We have been married for more than a year and have been living together in HK all that time.

3) My wife didn't register the marriage in the PH yet 'cause she was afraid they would force her to change her name and we wanted all the paperwork to be in the same name (maiden name) as in her passport. (We started the processing for the US visa about 3 weeks after the wedding). Problem?

4) My wife's co-sponsor has to send me one corrected form again. She's had to correct this one part on the form (number of immigrants in the household) about 3 times already. If it's still wrong or not what they are looking for, will my wife's visa get denied?

5) How likely are denials for married couples like us? Denials for a typo or mistake? As far as I can see, we have submitted everything we needed to submit so far except the medical examination results.

Thanks!

1) the NVC sends all the originals to the consulate

2) Bring what you have that proves you have a genuine relationshp

3) No one is forced to change their name. I'm unsure if not registering the marriage in the PH is an issue.

4) No, she will be issued a 221g for a corrected form and a time frame in which to submit the form.

5) There are no denials for typos. Have you read the consulate reviews on VJ? Also generally there is a 221g issued, that tells you specifically what to submit to help your case if the visa is not approved that day. If again not approved, the package is sent back to the USCIS and you have a chance to have them review it and resubmit for interview (along with a chance to add more information as well.) There is never an outright denial and you're done. Relax. Unless you have something to actually be worried about (like you're committing fraud) then you likely have little to worry about!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2) Bring what you have that proves you have a genuine relationshp

Thanks for your answers. In relation to number 2, I guess I should have added that we are living together. I mean, if I'm in the waiting area, isn't that proof?

I'm not trying to be flippant but in the case of a couple like us who have been married for more than a year and living together overseas all that time, what can a stack of photos or receipts prove more than that fact?

I'm sure for fiancee visas maybe the burden of proof is higher. The best we could do is photos and what's already in the first 130 package.

No. Just because the spouse is there, doesn't prove they have a genuine relationship. Obviously it helps do that, I'm not saying it doesn't, just that's not the end all, be all. People think that having a baby together is the ideal thing, but all that proves is that you had sex. Do you see the connection?

I said to bring whatever you feel is necessary that proves you have a genuine relationshop. I cannot tell you exactly what to bring. That is up to you as a couple. Most likely you won't have issues because you've lived together, proof of that is the best proof there is. But if you choose to bring nothing, or just some photos, that's up to you. There is no magic instruction list or recipe for the interview. It varies by person, by country, by consulate. The only 2 cold hard truths is that you should a) never lie and b) be in a genuine relationship and all that entails.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I said to bring whatever you feel is necessary that proves you have a genuine relationshop. I cannot tell you exactly what to bring. That is up to you as a couple. Most likely you won't have issues because you've lived together, proof of that is the best proof there is. But if you choose to bring nothing, or just some photos, that's up to you. There is no magic instruction list or recipe for the interview. It varies by person, by country, by consulate. The only 2 cold hard truths is that you should a) never lie and b) be in a genuine relationship and all that entails.

Thanks for your help. Hard to have some things as my utilities here are in the landlord's name and I still use my accounts in the US which I can add my wife to as soon as she gets a SSN and we get home.

No matter what I bring, I'm still going to be nervous as we get closer to the interview. Feels so dramatic.

LOL. It kinda does. For me it felt more like a formality and I really wasn't nervous until I was sitting up waiting for my turn.

I didn't report our marriage to the ph embassy either and didn't encounter any problems.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

I didn't report our marriage to the ph embassy either and didn't encounter any problems.

Great. Even though PH law says that you do not have to change your name when you get married, we were worried that they might make us do it while all the paperwork was under way already on her maiden name. Of course a marriage certificate in HK counts in the US -- no need to register or do anything extra there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.