Jacque67

North American Indian Headdresses

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please explain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2664707/Khloe-Kardashian-slammed-posing-feathered-American-Indian-headdress-North-Wests-birthday-party-dubbed-Kidchella.html

When someone wears a yukata or quasi kimono , no one here in Japan complains of racism. As I work in the fashion industry I am curious is to why Native Americans get upset by this.

My friends and I think headdresses are cool.

Why is it offensive - and no, I am not baiting. Living in a different country I am curious as to this state of affairs in the US.

Timeline

Surely everyone knows that Japan is the model of world morality.

Ha ha!

But my question is about headdresses . We're Native Americans forced to wear them by white folk??? Iwhere is the offence?

Seriously want to know.

Timeline

You already know that American Indians were no more forced to don their tribal wear any more than the Japanese harpoon and eat thousands of whales under the guise of research.

Yeah . I thought I might have been missing something.

So why is the headdress considered offensive , is my question?

Edited by Jacque67

Filed: Other Timeline

Yeah . I thought I might have been missing something.

So why is the headdress considered offensive , is my question.p?

Are you feigning naivety to make a point of how knee-jerk world liberalism has become toward anyone who claims to be offended?

Timeline

Are you feigning naivety to make a point of how knee-jerk world liberalism has become toward anyone who claims to be offended?

Seriously. No joke. I and my Japanese friends just don't get it.

Btw, until I visited NY 2 years ago I had no idea who Kim Kardashian was- she doesn't feature in news here. I find American low brow culture fascinating . I was glued to early afternoon shows whilst working out at Equinox!!!!

Timeline

For example, as a non-American , I was first introduced to John Belushi's Samurai Delicatessen , by a Japanese boyfriend. We both found it hilarious.

No offence was taken.

Don't get the headdress thing. Pharrell looks hot in his.

Filed: Other Timeline

There should be new rules for all earth people to follow that disallow a victor in war battle from donning their opponents headress. No more scalps and shrunken heads either. It should be everyone's mission to make sure they live their life so as not to offend anyone ever in life.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

*slowclap* Way to miss the point of my post. I don't pretend to know how each tribe or nation would count something taken as the actual spoils of battle--as I stated, not all nations have war bonnets, which implies that the cultural mores are different from one to another--but wearing a war bonnet as decoration is like forging a veteran's medals. It's that simple. Do you not respect veterans?

Because I do. I respect the veterans and I do so by not violating the ways in which we show respect to veterans.

Scalping people isn't something that I've heard of any nation or tribe sanctioning for decades, probably longer. I don't believe shrunken heads were ever a part of any north american indigenous peoples' practices. Bringing these up is a simple act of poisoning the well, here.

It is disrespectful to wear a war bonnet without earning it in some way. Simple fact.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

A feathered headdress, worn only by certain tribes and nations, has always been something that you earn. You earn it through successful hunts and other acts. A full warbonnet is similar to a soldier's medals. Every part of it is earned and tells a story, the story of the warrior's valor. If I were to pull out a veteran's medals and parade around wearing them and flashing them around, people would be offended, as I have not gone to war and have not earned the medals.

A person who is not first nations/Native American or a person of another tribe or nation may be gifted a war bonnet by the tribe and may wear that, but simply creating and putting one on is most akin to an act of forgery and a theft of a cultural artifact that people work very hard to earn.

Thanks for the explanation. Got it!

It's not all that surprising that you would lose track of low-brow happenings outside of Japan's own low-brow entertainment freak shows. Japanese people consider anything outside their own world as being a freak-show.

Hmm. Showing your true colours. Disgusted!

Timeline

Mods- please close this thread as Not a Tailor has given me a satisfactory answer, and I don't want this to descend into race baiting (unlike a certain other poster).

Thank you for the lucid explanation Not a Tailor. This question had puzzled me for a while.