onearmengineer

Tricky Situation - Canada to US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi. I'm a citizen of the United States (Washington State), but I have a girlfriend in Toronto, Ontario. She has very physically and emotionally abusive parents, and we're trying to set up right now for her to come move down to where I am. She is 17 and finishing high school this week, and I am 20. I've been looking around, and all I can really find for a good visa to bring her down is either the K-1 or one of the already married visas. We both feel too young to get married at this time, and we're trying to focus more on getting her to a home she can feel safe in. What can I do? Is there some sort of waive that can happen, because of the abuse? Is it easier than I think it is, since it's only from Canada? She does not have an IB, nor could she really afford college. She also has some concerning health issues involving a frail body. That's why I don't think the work visa will work either. We were hoping to get her down here by August/September.

Edited by onearmengineer

Given the facts as you have outlined them, she is not qualified to file for any visa. She could visit you for up to six months as a Canadian, but would need to return to Canada at the end of her authorised stay.

Perhaps she has other relatives or friends she can stay with in Canada until she turns 18?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, that is a bad situation. Until she turns 18 there is absolutely nothing that you can do. Family Services looks like your only option to get her out of the abuse.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has she considered school in the US?

..aside from calling family services

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.