Believ

Social Security Card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

I just got to US and I have a question regarding the Social Security Card. I received from the Consulate a paper along with my CR1 Visa and it says: "Once in the United States you must contact the Social Security Agency to get information on your Social Security Card with work authorization.

What number should I call? What documents do I have to show?

Thank you

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from IR1/CR1 Progress to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

check out ssa.gov

and note it's best to go INTO a local SSA office 3 to 4 weeks after POE date - and apply in person.

sure - you could use a telephone - but it's mostly useless.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hello,

I just got to US and I have a question regarding the Social Security Card. I received from the Consulate a paper along with my CR1 Visa and it says: "Once in the United States you must contact the Social Security Agency to get information on your Social Security Card with work authorization.

What number should I call? What documents do I have to show?

Thank you

Hi,

go to the nearest ssa office and there you can apply for social security card, present them your birth certificate, passport and marriage certificate. check ssa.gov for the requirements :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Did you apply for the SSN on the immigration visa application?

If no, then you can immediately go to SSA after arriving in the US to apply for one.

If yes, then you need to wait 3-4 weeks after entering to wait for your card. If it doesn't arrive in 3-4 weeks, then you can contact SSA. The SSA will not help you immediately after you enter if you have already applied with the immigration visa application.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you for your responses. Actually I applied for SSN during my immigration process.

I went through the SSA website and I got the information below. So I guess I just need to wait?

If You Requested an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa

If you requested an SSN card as part of your visa application, U.S. Department of State (DoS), Form DS 230, “Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration” or the electronic Form DS 260, “Immigrant Visa Electronic Application”, DoS and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will share with us the information needed to issue you an SSN card. Therefore, you do not need to fill out a special application or go to a Social Security office to get an SSN.

We will assign you an SSN and issue you a Social Security card after you arrive in the United States. If you already have an SSN, we will issue you a replacement SSN card. We will mail your SSN card to the U.S. mailing address where the Department of Homeland Security will send your Permanent Resident Card. You should receive your Social Security card within 3 weeks after you arrive.

IMPORTANT:
Call us if you do not receive your Social Security card after 3 weeks or if you change your mailing address after arrival in the United States. If you call us, please have this letter with you. It will help us answer your questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just wait about 3 - 4 weeks but I read that the SS card usually takes a few days to arrive (5 - 10 days) and it comes before the actual green card arrives.

What was your point of entry into the US?

Was it easy? difficult? harassment level high?

obrigada!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.