jessajsy

Naturalization after Basic Training, Fiance Petition right after naturalization

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. My boyfriend is an immigrant and has been staying in the US for almost a year as of May 2014. He recently joined the air force to expedite his naturalization. He will start Basic Training on June 3 and graduate on Aug 1. As soon as he graduates, he is planning to petition me as his fiance. We've been together for 6 years so there won't be a problem proving our relationship.

My question is that would we encounter any problem if he petitions me as soon as he gets out of Basic Training since he is just 2 months in the service. Meaning, he's been holding his stable job for about 2 months only. He used to work is Sam's Club part time for about 5 months. He was out of the country from Mid-Feb to Mid-April.

Also, since BMT and Tech School would only take 4 to 5 months,and K-1 Visa processing 6 to 8 months, can we request for an expedite processing so that we can get married before he gets deployed? I know that there is a chance for him to get deployed outside the country and this could lengthen the processing of my Fiance Visa.

TIA!

JS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi. My boyfriend is an immigrant and has been staying in the US for almost a year as of May 2014. He recently joined the air force to expedite his naturalization. He will start Basic Training on June 3 and graduate on Aug 1. As soon as he graduates, he is planning to petition me as his fiance. We've been together for 6 years so there won't be a problem proving our relationship.

My question is that would we encounter any problem if he petitions me as soon as he gets out of Basic Training since he is just 2 months in the service. Meaning, he's been holding his stable job for about 2 months only. He used to work is Sam's Club part time for about 5 months. He was out of the country from Mid-Feb to Mid-April.

Also, since BMT and Tech School would only take 4 to 5 months,and K-1 Visa processing 6 to 8 months, can we request for an expedite processing so that we can get married before he gets deployed? I know that there is a chance for him to get deployed outside the country and this could lengthen the processing of my Fiance Visa.

TIA!

JS

jessajsy,

No I do not think that will be a problem. I am active duty and although born a Citizen I can tell you that with him being active duty regardless of how long, things are alot easier for us. Military Service is a bonus in any process. Plus you might want to look into this. He does not have to wait until he graduates. He can graduate and become a citizen at the same time.

USCIS established the Naturalization at Basic Training Initiative in August 2009 with the Army to give noncitizen enlistees the opportunity to naturalize when they graduate from basic training. Under this initiative, USCIS conducts all naturalization processing including the capture of biometrics, the naturalization interview and administration of the Oath of Allegiance on the military base. Since 2009 USCIS has expanded the initiative to the Navy, Air Force, and finally to the Marine Corps in 2013, giving enlistees of all branches an equal opportunity to (in most cases) leave basic training as U.S. citizens.

Also I just finished everything for my wifes CR1 Visa and was expediated the whole way at USCIS, NVC and at the embassy got her approved in 4 months 7 days. And we started it when I was deployed overseas. If you have any specific questions shot me a message I would love to help..

Hope this helps..

Jeff

Filed: Timeline

jessajsy,

No I do not think that will be a problem. I am active duty and although born a Citizen I can tell you that with him being active duty regardless of how long, things are alot easier for us. Military Service is a bonus in any process. Plus you might want to look into this. He does not have to wait until he graduates. He can graduate and become a citizen at the same time.

USCIS established the Naturalization at Basic Training Initiative in August 2009 with the Army to give noncitizen enlistees the opportunity to naturalize when they graduate from basic training. Under this initiative, USCIS conducts all naturalization processing including the capture of biometrics, the naturalization interview and administration of the Oath of Allegiance on the military base. Since 2009 USCIS has expanded the initiative to the Navy, Air Force, and finally to the Marine Corps in 2013, giving enlistees of all branches an equal opportunity to (in most cases) leave basic training as U.S. citizens.

Also I just finished everything for my wifes CR1 Visa and was expediated the whole way at USCIS, NVC and at the embassy got her approved in 4 months 7 days. And we started it when I was deployed overseas. If you have any specific questions shot me a message I would love to help..

Hope this helps..

Jeff

What if he gets deployed in the middle of the visa processing?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Or what if he gets assigned outside the country in the middle of the visa processing? should i fly to the US or to where he is assigned once my visa gets appro

With a K1 visa you will be stuck in the US until you get a green card. I had a friend get sent to japan after his wife who was in the Us with a K1. She had to stay in the US until she get her green card I believe it took about a year. You might want to look into getting married and doing a CR1 visa. Like I said it took less then 4 months for us. With the CR1 if approved you would receive a green card and SSN right after you enter the US. And can travel outside the US if need be. K1 you are limited to what you can do.. Do your research first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
My question is that would we encounter any problem if he petitions me as soon as he gets out of Basic Training since he is just 2 months in the service.

He can not petition until he naturalises.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.