ajames79

To work in Theme...

48 posts in this topic

If you have moved from the UK to the US...or lets says you decided to move to the UK... WHAT are a few items that would be hard to do without or that you would miss from the US? :star:

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ginger altoids.

Reese's peanut butter cups

American style toilets(ok I'm odd)

-12/15/06 Mailed off I-129F

-12/19/06 NOA1 via email

-01/05/07 NOA2 via email

-01/13/07 NVC notice via snail mail

-01/25/07 Packet 3 arrives.

-02/22/07 Packet 3 is mailed.

-03/02/07 Medical

-03/13/07 Packet 4 arrives.

-03/16-24/07 Honey visits.

-04/02/07 Interview(Approved)

-04/10/07 Visa arrives.

Ginger altoids.

Reese's peanut butter cups

American style toilets(ok I'm odd)

American style toilets!! Never would have thought of it BUT I agree!! And I will also say public restrooms as well!

Edited by ajames79

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: Timeline

I missed Saltine crackers and mac n cheese powder. Stangely enough, the last time I ate mac n cheese was in the UK over 2 years ago, but I went thru this phase there where I HAD to have mac n cheese, but only with that bright orange powder & I couldn't find it anywhere. So I got my mom to mail some over, lol

Also missed a decent cup o joe...please don't lemme come to your house and you bust out with the Flavor crystals!

I know there's a bunch more things....cos I love to whinge...but atm I can't think of owt else.

Edited by LisaD

I missed Saltine crackers and mac n cheese powder. Stangely enough, the last time I ate mac n cheese was in the UK over 2 years ago, but I went thru this phase there where I HAD to have mac n cheese, but only with that bright orange powder & I couldn't find it anywhere. So I got my mom to mail some over, lol

Also missed a decent cup o joe...please don't lemme come to your house and you bust out with the Flavor crystals!

I know there's a bunch more things....cos I love to whinge...but atm I can't think of owt else.

Ohhh I forgot about coffee...yes that is so SO hard to live without when there. Never do Nescafe...can't even force.

I'd miss Ice.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Ohhh I forgot about coffee...yes that is so SO hard to live without when there. Never do Nescafe...can't even force.

I'd miss Ice.

There was this coffee stand in the Sunderland bus depot which made really good REAL lattes. Everytime I came into town (which was often)...I'd stop and get one. It got to the point where the lady behind the counter would see me walking and she'd start making my latte before I even reached the stand, lol

I'd have to agree with the Ice and public restrooms, also shops that stay open later then 8pm.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

The ability to shop till I had ten bags of stuff in the back of the Jeep from four different shops, and drive it all home at once. Not having to haul things on the tram and shop in small spurts.

And a good proper American bar burger with no filler in the meat. I would so totally miss that. Even if it's not something I eat all the time, I know it would just be the one thing I would drool for when I got back to the States.

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

American style loos??

I didnt notice a difference, apart from public toilets in Atlanta (maybe US) have a half inch gap

round the frame of the door, so that youre not quite as private as the ones here in th UK..

what is it with that??

Ill be missing going to the loo with a complete door.

:blush:

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Timeline
American style loos??

I didnt notice a difference, apart from public toilets in Atlanta (maybe US) have a half inch gap

round the frame of the door, so that youre not quite as private as the ones here in th UK..

what is it with that??

American style loos, at least for me means the way the actual bowl is constructed. To be graphic, in an British loo there's very little water so your poo just kind of sits there half in, half out of the water(assuming you have a small poo). In an 'American' toilet there's more water in the bowl, thus the poo is more submerged, thus stinks less. No yucky stains all over the bowl so the next person in knows you had a curry last night either.

-12/15/06 Mailed off I-129F

-12/19/06 NOA1 via email

-01/05/07 NOA2 via email

-01/13/07 NVC notice via snail mail

-01/25/07 Packet 3 arrives.

-02/22/07 Packet 3 is mailed.

-03/02/07 Medical

-03/13/07 Packet 4 arrives.

-03/16-24/07 Honey visits.

-04/02/07 Interview(Approved)

-04/10/07 Visa arrives.

American style loos??

what is it with that??

American style loos, at least for me means the way the actual bowl is constructed. To be graphic, in an British loo there's very little water so your poo just kind of sits there half in, half out of the water(assuming you have a small poo). In an 'American' toilet there's more water in the bowl, thus the poo is more submerged, thus stinks less. No yucky stains all over the bowl so the next person in knows you had a curry last night either.

A speedy courtesy flush takes care of that probbo :lol:

Things I missed the most in the UK:

MEXICAN FOOD!!!!! damn, what I wouldn't have done for some good mexican food -- they have stuff called Mexican food which can be good but it is not Mexican food.

A good burger they doesn't cost over $10

Deli!!!! I am not jewish but I need a regular dose of kreplach, kishka, lox and cream cheese and a big overstuffed roast beef sandwich served with a pickle

jars of big pickles

decent shower pressure

screw the English fryup, I wanted an American breakfast

I was never able to find canend black beans - even dried black beans were hard to find

free refills

being able to swim in an outdoor pool

umm, I'm sure I'll think of more

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
American style loos??

what is it with that??

There is actually less water in a flush in USA toilets. There is a restricter valve that limits the water in the tank.

Incidentally, the first time I went into a public restroom in the states was the highlight of my year. Go to toilet, it automatically flushed...then went to the soap dispenser, it automatically dispensed soap!! Then the tap came on automatically! Then...and THIS is the killer I can tell ya, the paper towel dispenser automatically gave me some towel!! I spent at least half an hour there, putting my hands under the towel thingee, pulling them away, putting my hands back and so on.

Must have been gone ages.....Larry almost sent out a search party! :lol:

Edited by mags

Things I missed the most in the UK:

MEXICAN FOOD!!!!! damn, what I wouldn't have done for some good mexican food -- they have stuff called Mexican food which can be good but it is not Mexican food.

A good burger they doesn't cost over $10

Deli!!!! I am not jewish but I need a regular dose of kreplach, kishka, lox and cream cheese and a big overstuffed roast beef sandwich served with a pickle

jars of big pickles

decent shower pressure

screw the English fryup, I wanted an American breakfast

I was never able to find canend black beans - even dried black beans were hard to find

free refills

being able to swim in an outdoor pool

umm, I'm sure I'll think of more

Robin, I missed Mexican food so much while there too! D found this 'Mexican' restaurant in the Metro Center so we went for lunch...THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT SOUR CREAM WAS!!!

Oh, and it cost an effing fortune!

American style loos??

what is it with that??

There is actually less water in a flush in USA toilets. There is a restricter valve that limits the water in the tank.

Incidentally, the first time I went into a public restroom in the states was the highlight of my year. Go to toilet, it automatically flushed...then went to the soap dispenser, it automatically dispensed soap!! Then the tap came on automatically! Then...and THIS is the killer I can tell ya, the paper towel dispenser automatically gave me some towel!! I spent at least half an hour there, putting my hands under the towel thingee, pulling them away, putting my hands back and so on.

Must have been gone ages.....Larry almost sent out a search party! :lol:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!

You should be in the next GEICO commercial :P :P :P;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.