ajames79

To work in Theme...

48 posts in this topic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I also missed closets -- i can understand some older homes without closets but new builds without closests? why do you want a wardrobe to take up half the space in the room, why?

Robin, you took my #1 thing......... :lol:

I also found it inconvenient that shops closed early. The offset in my mind was the closeness of the shops and the public transport to get to them.

Food? Hmmm....I was pretty well happy, but then I was only there 2 weeks. I bet I'd miss mexican food.

I kind of liked the little refrigerators. And the little cookers. I'm amazed by the 'space efficiency' of European appliances. I think I'd find it annoying to not have a dryer though.

Mags....along with the toilet theme.....I'll not ever forget flushing a European toilet for the first time at the airport in Dublin. I thought it was going to suck me right down the hole! I couldn't believe the water pressure! I'm pretty sure I stood up quickly.....

Edited by rebeccajo

Well the public loo I am really thinking of is the one I had to pay like 10p for..that was stainless steel and freezing.

Mexican for sure. I'd miss that! I have Chris addicted to Fajitas.

I miss hot sauce when I am there. I always take a bottle with me.

But I LOVE english baths. They are long and deep and lovely!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline

I missed......are you ready?.............LECCY OUTLETS IN THE BATHROOM!

Ahhh, feel so much better now that's off my chest :)

Becs...the little fridges are ok, but after a while they get to be annoying cos you can't put a lot in there...so if you wanna do a big shop, there's no room to put everything.

Filed: Other Timeline

Ahhh, feel so much better now that's off my chest :)

Becs...the little fridges are ok, but after a while they get to be annoying cos you can't put a lot in there...so if you wanna do a big shop, there's no room to put everything.

OMG...I FORGOT about lack of bathroom plugs! YeeGods, yes that drove me MAD!!!

Yeah, Lisa, you're right about the fridges on that one, I'm sure. Wes, being a bachelor and buying food as he needed it - well it wasn't a problem for him. And it wasn't for his bachelor brother either. I began to wonder if people even DID a big shop. I asked his cousin Ida and she assured me they did.....lol

MIL goes to the shops on thursday and saturday, mind you she has a big kitchen with loads of cabinets but a little frig. That would drive me crazy. I would also miss a proper size garage and a basement for storage.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Timeline

Out of habit J & I both use the hairdryer in the bedroom instead. It's feels weird not to do it in the bedroom now...

I would miss Mexican food. That's about it really. UK has such better food anyhow, and for MUCH cheaper.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Out of habit J & I both use the hairdryer in the bedroom instead. It's feels weird not to do it in the bedroom now...

I would miss Mexican food. That's about it really. UK has such better food anyhow, and for MUCH cheaper.

Fresh veggies, bread, and dairy products are far superior in the UK, but cheaper hmmm I have to disagree. Guess most depends on where you are from.

I missed a big fridge, big washer, using a clothes dryer because it did not greatly raise the electric bill and most of all stores closed way to early.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

About the US toilets thing....my husband says he doesn't like the way they make them in the USA because his um...(what's a polite word for balls?) "parts" hang down into the water. Do other guys suffer from that too...or is he just droopy or something? lol!

I was raised in the UK, but to American parents, and we visited the USA a lot, where family are. And we lived there briefly too during childhood.

I've always missed many things about the USA while being here

root beer

graham crackers

lots of flavours of pop tarts

taco bell

basements

large top loading washers

big watermelons

the beautiful sound of crickets at night (family is mostly from Florida)

mozzerella sticks mmmmmm

July 30th - sent off I-130s

August 7th - I-130s filed with USCIS and we receive our notification postcard a few days later

Nov 5th - sent in the DS-2001 part 1 and the DS 2001

Nov 6th - received our packet 3 stuff, which I took as I-130 approvals

Nov 13th - received packet 4 - interview scheduled for Dec 14th

Nov 20th - had medicals

Nov 24-ish - received our actual I-130 approvals, I have no idea why they took so long to arrive!

Dec 14th - interviews - approved!

Dec 16th - visas delivered

Jan 13th - leaving party :( I will miss so many people!

Jan 19th - our travel date

Feb 20th - our baby's due date

About the US toilets thing....my husband says he doesn't like the way they make them in the USA because his um...(what's a polite word for balls?) "parts" hang down into the water. Do other guys suffer from that too...or is he just droopy or something? lol!

I was raised in the UK, but to American parents, and we visited the USA a lot, where family are. And we lived there briefly too during childhood.

I've always missed many things about the USA while being here

root beer

graham crackers

lots of flavours of pop tarts

taco bell

basements

large top loading washers

big watermelons

the beautiful sound of crickets at night (family is mostly from Florida)

mozzerella sticks mmmmmm

Ummm*giggle* Chris never complained about his balls in the potty!!

So interesting that you mentioned Top Loading Washers.....the fad now is the front loading ones!!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

It seems to be impossible to get Mexican food over here now.... a few (well, about 10) years ago Mexican food was obviously 'the thing', and there were Mexican restaurants all over the place. Granted, most of them were awful, and they all charged a fortune, but there was the occasional half-decent one. Then Mexican must've gone out of fashion, because all the ones I used to know seem to have closed down.... weird. I can think of maybe three in the whole of London, and they're all appalling. A couple of years ago I was having a huge Mexican craving and went to... the one whose name I can't remember in Camden Town and... ugh. Suffice to say I remembered why I tended to avoid the place.

What I 'miss' over here (even though I live here still!) is being able to get decent food in bars without having to pay a fortune for it. In the States I've had some of the most fantastic, and cheap, food in bars (and taken a boxload of it home to finish the next day), and I love that you can do that. Over here... well you've got the 'microwaved frozen stuff' school of pub food (overpriced) and the 'we think we deserve a Michelin star (but our food is really not all that)' school of pub food (also overpriced)... I'm sick of paying about 7 quid for a crappy sandwich with some chips on the side - grrr!

There's loads of things that make me think 'damn, why don't we have that?' when I'm in the States... and loads of things I can't believe we have and 'they' don't. Like... online grocery shopping. I don't have a car and live a pain-in-the-####### bus journey from the nearest decent-sized supermarket (how I miss living directly opposite Waitrose... sigh) so I love being able to do a huge online shop with Sainsburys or Ocado. C is amazed by this concept and assures me there's no such thing available there (at least, not locally)... surely not?!?!?

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

It seems to be impossible to get Mexican food over here now.... a few (well, about 10) years ago Mexican food was obviously 'the thing', and there were Mexican restaurants all over the place. Granted, most of them were awful, and they all charged a fortune, but there was the occasional half-decent one. Then Mexican must've gone out of fashion, because all the ones I used to know seem to have closed down.... weird. I can think of maybe three in the whole of London, and they're all appalling. A couple of years ago I was having a huge Mexican craving and went to... the one whose name I can't remember in Camden Town and... ugh. Suffice to say I remembered why I tended to avoid the place.

What I 'miss' over here (even though I live here still!) is being able to get decent food in bars without having to pay a fortune for it. In the States I've had some of the most fantastic, and cheap, food in bars (and taken a boxload of it home to finish the next day), and I love that you can do that. Over here... well you've got the 'microwaved frozen stuff' school of pub food (overpriced) and the 'we think we deserve a Michelin star (but our food is really not all that)' school of pub food (also overpriced)... I'm sick of paying about 7 quid for a crappy sandwich with some chips on the side - grrr!

There's loads of things that make me think 'damn, why don't we have that?' when I'm in the States... and loads of things I can't believe we have and 'they' don't. Like... online grocery shopping. I don't have a car and live a pain-in-the-####### bus journey from the nearest decent-sized supermarket (how I miss living directly opposite Waitrose... sigh) so I love being able to do a huge online shop with Sainsburys or Ocado. C is amazed by this concept and assures me there's no such thing available there (at least, not locally)... surely not?!?!?

I don't know about the online grocery not being available. I assume you live in a small town??! It isn't available to me either, I live in a tiny town. However, I moved from the city only about a year ago and it was available there. From what I understand it is becoming quite a fad in some areas. PERHAPS!! It is a good business venture! :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

:blink: I can't think of a meal I've had in the UK that was cheaper than the US. Even McDs and KFC are more expensive!

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.