ajames79

To work in Theme...

48 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I would miss Mexican food. That's about it really. UK has such better food anyhow, and for MUCH cheaper.

:blink: I can't think of a meal I've had in the UK that was cheaper than the US. Even McDs and KFC are more expensive!

Whats with KFC, they don't even serve the proper side items! :lol: Tim and I went once in the time I was there and I was sooooo looking forward to BEEEE-SKITS (biscuits for you non-southern folks).

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would miss Mexican food. That's about it really. UK has such better food anyhow, and for MUCH cheaper.

:blink: I can't think of a meal I've had in the UK that was cheaper than the US. Even McDs and KFC are more expensive!

Whats with KFC, they don't even serve the proper side items! :lol: Tim and I went once in the time I was there and I was sooooo looking forward to BEEEE-SKITS (biscuits for you non-southern folks).

WHAT? You can't get any biscuts with your Chicken Burger?? *grin*

I only ate fast food out once in England...Mcds..terrible I know, but I love chicken nuggets and we were on the road. But they had sweet chili sauce to dip! It was amazing!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Timeline

WHAT? You can't get any biscuts with your Chicken Burger?? *grin*

I only ate fast food out once in England...Mcds..terrible I know, but I love chicken nuggets and we were on the road. But they had sweet chili sauce to dip! It was amazing!

:blink: A Chicken burger? No thank you! I only ate McD's after being there a couple of months and I wanted beef. Sure it isn't my first choice, but I hated the taste of beef off the shelf in the grocery. Don't get me started on Wimpy ewwwwwwwwwww.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline

You gotta know where to go! I definitely had many. Esp supermarkets.

Timeline

I think our grocery bills were about the same in both countries, but we got a lot less in the UK than we do here. Not to mention here in the states we are feeding three boys on the same money. Maybe for two people it can be less expensive, but for myself I just find it hard to believe it is cheaper to eat in the UK. We also have the luxury of being able to afford to go out to eat here in the states, which is fantastic for me to have a break a couple of nights a week.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

I think our grocery bills were about the same in both countries, but we got a lot less in the UK than we do here. Not to mention here in the states we are feeding three boys on the same money. Maybe for two people it can be less expensive, but for myself I just find it hard to believe it is cheaper to eat in the UK. We also have the luxury of being able to afford to go out to eat here in the states, which is fantastic for me to have a break a couple of nights a week.

For example:

My hubby & I were at the grocery the other day - sausages are crappier & way more expensive here. Full of fillers too.

Chorizo/proscuitto/meats/cheeses costs a fortune here & is cheap in the UK.

I was a student in the UK & definitely found cheaper food than in America.

Timeline

For example:

My hubby & I were at the grocery the other day - sausages are crappier & way more expensive here. Full of fillers too.

Chorizo/proscuitto/meats/cheeses costs a fortune here & is cheap in the UK.

I was a student in the UK & definitely found cheaper food than in America.

Don't know if you have fresh markets up your way, but if you like cheese as much as we do they have a nice selection. We buy Kerrygold there, and yes it is expensive but yum. They also carry fresh breads at a reasonable price. Tim also found Brie at Walmart of all places for about 3.80 a lb, he claims that is a really good price. He also likes Krogers marbled cheddar, which sometimes can be gotten for 3.50 for a 2.5 lb block and thats when we stock up lol. We spend a small fortune on cheese :blush: !

It is all down to what you prefer I guess. I cook a lot so fresh veggies and such stretch a long way.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

There's loads of things that make me think 'damn, why don't we have that?' when I'm in the States... and loads of things I can't believe we have and 'they' don't. Like... online grocery shopping. I don't have a car and live a pain-in-the-####### bus journey from the nearest decent-sized supermarket (how I miss living directly opposite Waitrose... sigh) so I love being able to do a huge online shop with Sainsburys or Ocado. C is amazed by this concept and assures me there's no such thing available there (at least, not locally)... surely not?!?!?

I don't know about the online grocery not being available. I assume you live in a small town??! It isn't available to me either, I live in a tiny town. However, I moved from the city only about a year ago and it was available there. From what I understand it is becoming quite a fad in some areas. PERHAPS!! It is a good business venture! :)

Well, I live in London at the moment, but it'll be Cincinnati when I get there. I suppose online grocery shopping must (surely) exist in some places, and thinking about it, it couldn't work like it does here anyway... I mean, what with the UK being so tiny, supermarkets can deliver nationally here - in the States you'd (not 'you', I mean, just people in general!) need to find out if there's anything in your area, etc etc etc. I was just surprised that he seemed to think it was such a radical idea, 'cos I tend to think that anything we have here has already been available in the States forever! I love online food shopping... great for carless people like me, I can order tons of heavy stuff (and loads of bottles of wine) and not have to carry any of it anywhere.

And then of course it won't all fit in my stupid tiny fridge, but never mind! :lol:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

when I got back from the UK, I became really aware of which groceries were more expensive here in hte US (mainly because my husband kept pointing them out with a speech that began "it's such a fallacy that everything is cheaper over here...blah blah blah")

Anyways -- quality meats and cheeses, and good bread - deffo cheaper over there

one thing that still amazes me is the price of lemons -- I mean I can grow a lemon in my back yard and they cost twice as much at the store as they did in M&S, go figure

90day.jpg

Well sure, when we cooked at home (which was actually a lot), we'd come out a bit ahead - depending on what we'd bought.

I'd be curious to know 'where to go' when going out that is going to be cheaper than the states. We've tried pretty much every type of restaurant while I've been there, and I've always had a chuckle at how expensive it was. Maybe it depends some on what part of the UK you're in.

SA4userbar.jpg

Well sure, when we cooked at home (which was actually a lot), we'd come out a bit ahead - depending on what we'd bought.

I'd be curious to know 'where to go' when going out that is going to be cheaper than the states. We've tried pretty much every type of restaurant while I've been there, and I've always had a chuckle at how expensive it was. Maybe it depends some on what part of the UK you're in.

We were in London - deffo not cheaper! We found places that have quality food for not a lot. Here all I find is crappy very fatty giant portions and it's not even all that cheap! AND DEFINITELY not quality. I'd rather pay the same amount of $$ & get less but better food.

Well, I live in London at the moment, but it'll be Cincinnati when I get there. I suppose online grocery shopping must (surely) exist in some places,

Not in Cincy! :) NYC, yes.

Hey, to get you excited(they have a giant UK section), altho Twiglets cost like $4.50 a packet there!:

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm?fuseac...050FB0F3A632740

Edited by devilette

Timeline

Tim has gotten totally addicted to a local Mexican restaurant. We go on Thursday night have a couple of margaritas each at .98 cents a piece, two huge plates of food all for less than $20. The real shocker for him is that they give us a to go box to boot lmao.

He loves food so it is good fun to watch him when the menus are presented and his eyes get great big. I am quickly learning to point out what he might like, this helps speed up the ordering process lol. He would read a menu like a book if I let him and we would be all night just placing an order.

Eating out in the UK was a luxury we couldn't afford.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

We were in London - deffo not cheaper! We found places that have quality food for not a lot. Here all I find is crappy very fatty giant portions and it's not even all that cheap! AND DEFINITELY not quality. I'd rather pay the same amount of $$ & get less but better food.

That is so strange. My experience has definitely been the opposite.

I kid Chas because I ask him what he misses here and he always says 'the food'. Shouldn't his answer be, "Why you, darling!" :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Hey, to get you excited(they have a giant UK section), altho Twiglets cost like $4.50 a packet there!:

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm?fuseac...050FB0F3A632740

:lol: I had to laugh at all that 'Merrye Olde Englande' stuff (although even at $4.50 a pack, Twiglets are among life's essentials and I'll have to go there just because of that!)... then I saw the word 'Wensleydale'. Mm, Wensleydale... any shop that sells that stuff has got to be a good thing. I meant to post that yesterday, that I'll be pining for Wensleydale* cheese once I get there... but maybe not. Yay! (and thank you!)

* speaking of which, I believe I have a big chunk of it in the fridge... hmm. Time to stuff my face some more.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.