Lenny&Sanna

Any Finnish/American Couples?

269 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
30 minutes ago, JCB86 said:

Congrats! We flew direct with Finnair from Helsinki to JFK. I had some minor thoughts that the flight would get cancelled because not enough seats to fill, but it didn't (despite being 10 people on the whole plane). I guess to retain their gate, they have to run planes, regardless of passenger level. 

He said CBP was the easiest he's ever done, CBP officer was literally saying "welcome and good job" through bites of his dinner lol. 

Thanks! Good to hear you got a direct flight and everything went well! Unfortunately in my case there’s no direct flight (I’m going to Minneapolis) so I would have to fly to some other European country first. Hopefully that doesn’t bring any extra risks with it. 🤞

How long did it take for your fiancé to receive his passport after the interview? Did they send it to him in the mail or did he pick it up in person?

7 minutes ago, Kaljukotka said:

Thanks! Good to hear you got a direct flight and everything went well! Unfortunately in my case there’s no direct flight (I’m going to Minneapolis) so I would have to fly to some other European country first. Hopefully that doesn’t bring any extra risks with it. 🤞

How long did it take for your fiancé to receive his passport after the interview? Did they send it to him in the mail or did he pick it up in person?

If I were you, I'd fly into the US then transfer, avoid any other COVID requirements which may get tacked on. I'm not sure what domestic flight requirements may be for COVID testing, but I think it's only international passengers are required. Up to you. 

It was ready for pickup in 2 days. But he opted to pick it up from the embassy. You can do both, you need to leave an addressed envelop with them to get it mailed to you though. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, JCB86 said:

If I were you, I'd fly into the US then transfer, avoid any other COVID requirements which may get tacked on. I'm not sure what domestic flight requirements may be for COVID testing, but I think it's only international passengers are required. Up to you. 

It was ready for pickup in 2 days. But he opted to pick it up from the embassy. You can do both, you need to leave an addressed envelop with them to get it mailed to you though. 

Thank you! I will look into different flight options. One reason why I would rather transfer in Europe than in the US is that I would have to take all of my belongings throught the security again in the US and I might fly with a lot of stuff which would be difficult to collect and handle alone. But I’ll definitely think about it. 

I left an envelope just in case since I wasn’t sure if they allow pick-ups at this time but glad to hear the processing time was so fast!

1 minute ago, Kaljukotka said:

Thank you! I will look into different flight options. One reason why I would rather transfer in Europe than in the US is that I would have to take all of my belongings throught the security again in the US and I might fly with a lot of stuff which would be difficult to collect and handle alone. But I’ll definitely think about it. 

I left an envelope just in case since I wasn’t sure if they allow pick-ups at this time but glad to hear the processing time was so fast!

Ah, well that's a plus too. I know I've seen folks get really close to having their COVID tests expire at US border because of transfers and running into possibility of denial of entry because their tests were not longer valid. 

Yeah, it was really smooth in Helsinki. No issues at all.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, Kaljukotka said:

Approved! 🥳 They said it currently takes 2-3 weeks to process the visa but it seems I might be able to leave before the end of the month. There seems to be some flights with convenient connections available, at least for now, so let’s hope they don’t get cancelled. 

YAY! That's wonderful news to hear!!! I'm sure you're both extremely excited!

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

Timeline

We are so close! My fiance had his medical last week and now I feel like I'm in an awful waiting game checking the portal multiple times a day in hopes and appointment will pop up. Is it normal that it just says no appointments available?

16 hours ago, PostalDuchess said:

We are so close! My fiance had his medical last week and now I feel like I'm in an awful waiting game checking the portal multiple times a day in hopes and appointment will pop up. Is it normal that it just says no appointments available?

We had to call to get an appointment. Embassy staff is only in on certain days, as well. Least in June that was the case. July 1 might have changed. But I'd definitely contact them because the portal didn't seem to work for us.

Timeline
On 7/10/2021 at 8:10 AM, JCB86 said:

We had to call to get an appointment. Embassy staff is only in on certain days, as well. Least in June that was the case. July 1 might have changed. But I'd definitely contact them because the portal didn't seem to work for us.

Just getting in touch with them has been a nightmare. I sit on the line listening to the music for an hour at a time and no one answers. Thank you for providing your experience. Fingers crossed I can make some headway!

Thanks again.

Can anyone advise me on CR-1 vs K-1 visa processing times in Helsinki? My partner and I are trying to decide which is the best option for us. We are currently living in Finland, I am a US citizen with a Finnish residence permit and she is Native Finn. We are planning to marry soon and would like to continue our life in the US as soon as possible.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, PostalDuchess said:

Just getting in touch with them has been a nightmare. I sit on the line listening to the music for an hour at a time and no one answers. Thank you for providing your experience. Fingers crossed I can make some headway!

Thanks again.

Just send them an email to the same address where you received the K1 instructions from they will give you an appointment right away. 😊

Just now, MJoseph123 said:

Can anyone advise me on CR-1 vs K-1 visa processing times in Helsinki? My partner and I are trying to decide which is the best option for us. We are currently living in Finland, I am a US citizen with a Finnish residence permit and she is Native Finn. We are planning to marry soon and would like to continue our life in the US as soon as possible.

Nothing in immigration is "fast". CR1 is for spouses, so if you're going to marry in Finland that is your only option, unless your future wife is being sponsored by a job or has scheduled schooling in the US.

As your spouse, she'd be exempt from the travel ban, however, she is still subject to the ESTA requirements for staying in the US - 90 days, until an immigrant visa is obtained and adjudicated. Or a Tourist Visa, which I believe is 6 months. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, TiiaChris said:

Just send them an email to the same address where you received the K1 instructions from they will give you an appointment right away. 😊

Thank you!

Just tried that. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, MJoseph123 said:

I would personally go for the K1 versus the CR1 given the turnaround times are a big difference and with the huge backlog of petitions in the USA it is known that the K1 Visas tend to move faster versus the CR1. It was still the same back when we did all of that. But as someone else stated either way it is not a fast process unfortunately and depending on the service center in the USA and such you're assigned to and vice versa it just depends. I think you need to do what you both find to make you the happiest. Would it make you happier marrying in Finland or in the USA and such which is the most important thing in my opinion! 

Edited by Lenny&Sanna
I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

16 hours ago, Lenny&Sanna said:

I would personally go for the K1 versus the CR1 given the turnaround times are a big difference and with the huge backlog of petitions in the USA it is known that the K1 Visas tend to move faster versus the CR1. It was still the same back when we did all of that. But as someone else stated either way it is not a fast process unfortunately and depending on the service center in the USA and such you're assigned to and vice versa it just depends. I think you need to do what you both find to make you the happiest. Would it make you happier marrying in Finland or in the USA and such which is the most important thing in my opinion! 

Thank you for the great insight and opinion.

I agree that whatever makes us the happiest is the most important thing. Thanks to the insight from this website and previous peoples experience who were in a similar situation as us in Finland I believe we are going to wait and marry in the US and apply for the K1.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for the I-129f online submission process?

10 minutes ago, MJoseph123 said:

Thank you for the great insight and opinion.

I agree that whatever makes us the happiest is the most important thing. Thanks to the insight from this website and previous peoples experience who were in a similar situation as us in Finland I believe we are going to wait and marry in the US and apply for the K1.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for the I-129f online submission process?

There is no such thing as online submission for the I129f. It has to be mailed in paper to USCIS. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.