Lenny&Sanna

Any Finnish/American Couples?

269 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JCB86 said:

For those who might be waiting on K1 from Helsinki. The response I got inquiring about the application of the NIE to our case.

Finally, progress. It feels like a dream. 

Screenshot_20210409-0322432 (1).png

Yay!!! That's really great news to finally hear about! Fingers crossed that everything continues to move forward!!!

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

• 1 month later...

We have an interview scheduled for May 27 in Helsinki. 🤩

We're not plaintiffs in Milligan or otherwise, just regular folks. If there's any K1s out there waiting on Helsinki, I'd email them for confirmation and scheduling of medicals, certifications, etc. For as much headache and heartache this process has been, it seems as though actual people respond to emails with a good turnaround time, comparatively. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
18 hours ago, JCB86 said:

We're not plaintiffs in Milligan or otherwise, just regular folks. If there's any K1s out there waiting on Helsinki, I'd email them for confirmation and scheduling of medicals, certifications, etc. For as much headache and heartache this process has been, it seems as though actual people respond to emails with a good turnaround time, comparatively. 

Thank you for posting an update here! I found this thread by chance when I was looking into the timelines of Finnish folks and I am glad to see that people have interview times booked. So sorry you had to wait for so long. I've only been away from my fiance for 4 months and it is killing me.

Our I-129F was approved on March 30 but I guess the NOA2 got lost in the mail... In any case, we have requested a new one and our case has arrived to NVC. I don't know what day it got there, I just got the case number for it when I was changing my address through their inquiry form. Hopefully our case will be sent to the embassy soon. It seems like some people (not from Finland though) who received their NOA2 on March have already gotten their interview times booked. I should probably start gathering all the needed documents soon :D 

2 hours ago, Kaljukotka said:

Thank you for posting an update here! I found this thread by chance when I was looking into the timelines of Finnish folks and I am glad to see that people have interview times booked. So sorry you had to wait for so long. I've only been away from my fiance for 4 months and it is killing me.

Our I-129F was approved on March 30 but I guess the NOA2 got lost in the mail... In any case, we have requested a new one and our case has arrived to NVC. I don't know what day it got there, I just got the case number for it when I was changing my address through their inquiry form. Hopefully our case will be sent to the embassy soon. It seems like some people (not from Finland though) who received their NOA2 on March have already gotten their interview times booked. I should probably start gathering all the needed documents soon :D

In my experience, the consulate requested the case pretty much as soon as NVC was done with it. 

Every consulate is different. I find ourselves fortunate that Helsinki does like 5 K1s a year, thus giving us an "early" date. Someone I know who's in Frankfurt, had the visa in her passport, but everything shut down before she could fly to the US. She's been waiting since March 2019 for word if she has to interview again, etc. 

Timeline
On 5/10/2021 at 4:55 PM, JCB86 said:

We have a interview on the same day as well! Well we were supposed to have it on the 20th but then I got exposed to Corona and I was put in quarantine! I will be also going to  Texas! 

That's great that things are starting to move for you all finally. I'm hoping things continue to get better so we can continue opening up more and more in the states and put all of this COVID stuff behind us. Let us know how your interviews and such go!

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

Timeline

A bit of a specific question but after the NVC has processed the case and sends it forward to the embassy, should I just wait for the packet 3 from the embassy before doing anything? I have already filed the DS-160 but I'm unsure if I have to wait for a letter from the embassy before paying the fees. 

6 minutes ago, Kaljukotka said:

A bit of a specific question but after the NVC has processed the case and sends it forward to the embassy, should I just wait for the packet 3 from the embassy before doing anything? I have already filed the DS-160 but I'm unsure if I have to wait for a letter from the embassy before paying the fees. 

Not sure if we ever received the letter, tbh. We got a few emails but everything was contingent upon Covid. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, JCB86 said:

Not sure if we ever received the letter, tbh. We got a few emails but everything was contingent upon Covid. 

Thank you! My Finnish friend who went through the process couple of years ago said she only received emails as well. Hopefully the backlog isn’t bad and I will hear from the embassy soon!

3 hours ago, Kaljukotka said:

Thank you! My Finnish friend who went through the process couple of years ago said she only received emails as well. Hopefully the backlog isn’t bad and I will hear from the embassy soon!

In my experience Helsinki is very responsive. I'd get emails back sometimes 10 minutes after sending them lol. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, JCB86 said:

In my experience Helsinki is very responsive. I'd get emails back sometimes 10 minutes after sending them lol. 

I had sent them an email earlier asking about something and they responded the same day. However, I had another question which they then did not answer to but maybe you guys here know. So do I understand correctly that K1 visa holders are allowed to enter the US from Schengen Area without having to spend the 14 days somewhere else where there are no travel restrictions to the US? 

Just now, Kaljukotka said:

I had sent them an email earlier asking about something and they responded the same day. However, I had another question which they then did not answer to but maybe you guys here know. So do I understand correctly that K1 visa holders are allowed to enter the US from Schengen Area without having to spend the 14 days somewhere else where there are no travel restrictions to the US? 

That is true. Valid K1 holders are granted an automatic NIE. CBP should be able to roll with it. You might have some push back at airports, so print out and have everything you can have. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, JCB86 said:

That is true. Valid K1 holders are granted an automatic NIE. CBP should be able to roll with it. You might have some push back at airports, so print out and have everything you can have. 

Thank you so much! That makes this process a bit easier! 😅

Timeline

Are there any other Finns who have received their NOA2 this year and are waiting for the interview? I wonder how fast the embassy would be contacting the applicants once they receive the case from NVC. Tomorrow it will be a week since the case got there and the case status has been "Ready" since Tuesday. I know that in the past people have been contacted quite soon so I wonder what the backlog is like now... 👀

26 minutes ago, Kaljukotka said:

Are there any other Finns who have received their NOA2 this year and are waiting for the interview? I wonder how fast the embassy would be contacting the applicants once they receive the case from NVC. Tomorrow it will be a week since the case got there and the case status has been "Ready" since Tuesday. I know that in the past people have been contacted quite soon so I wonder what the backlog is like now... 👀

We never were contact by them, I always contacted them. During the shutdown, I'd email just about monthly regarding K1s. If the case status is ready, I would follow up asap. Get medical, vaccines, police certifications in the mean time, at least.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.