Kdoubrav25

long waiting time???

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I received my noa1 on nov 19th 2013...NOTHING since then...they cashed the check I got that letter a few weeks after...and nothing since...been about 6 months already, and I am seeing other people on this site its taking less than a month? I am going insane being without my wife...any number I can call to make it go faster? Is this normal?? Any suggestions?? Please help!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi, the current process for IR-1/CR-1 visas at USCIS is taking a loooong time. Im in Chile (I also have Brazilian citizenship), and when I found out that the current waiting time for the first stage of the process was between 6 months and 1 year I really just started crying like crazy. Being away from my husband is not being easy at all, and I don't understand how people are okay with it, so I totally understand you.

I was, fortunately, able to expedite and it has taken much less than that. Have you tried calling USCIS at (800) 375-5283? You can also go to the USCIS page and create an account with your case number and sign up to receive emails. This way you will know what is going on with your case, since every time they do something they post it there.

Knowing your service center current processing times will also help. The USCIS page has a page dedicated for that.

You can try to expedite as well, but you must have a good reason to do so. (health problems, financial loss, humanitarian cases, etc.)

Let me know if you need any more help :)

Timeline

Thanks alot!! :) I just made an account on uscis...

As for more help.. I do have a few more questions :D

NVC...they will send my wife a paper to sign correct? It will be in english...she does not speak english...do I just kinda help her through skype?

Also at the last stage..the interview will be on portugues for her? or do I need a translator?

I also did not file taxes for 2013...I lived in Brazil that whole year..did not work, I am working now...and I do have a joint sponsor...but will that be a problem?? I do have taxes for 2012, and 2011...

thanks!! :)

Timeline

Kdoubrav25, we filed ours in August 2013 and it is still in initial review. We were transferred to Texas on Feb and since then, nothing!

Hubby put in a request and they require 30 more days to give an answer! This process is really stressful!

Best of luck for you during your journey and lots of patience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Kdoubrav25, hang in there. Waiting for the NOA2 is the toughest part. According to your timeline, your petition is in Texas and it has almost been 6 months. Hopefully you will hear something very soon. Worst case, if it's past the processing time on the USCIS website, put in an e-request AND call them and ask for a service request. Also, you can go on your congressman or senator's website and send an email. We did that and put in a congressional inquiry to our case.

To answer your question about the NVC, read this so that you get an idea of what to expect: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process Bookmark this page so you can refer to it! It's a life saver! The Affidavit of Support (AOS) packet (or, I-864 packet) is to be filled out by you - the petitioner. The DS-260 form is now filled out online on the CEAC website. You can fill in the DS-260 form for your wife if she does not speak English. Also do the DS-261 for her and select yourself as her agent.

When the NVC stage completes, your wife (and you) will receive instructions from the consulate in both English and Portuguese. She will get her medical exam done at one of these three places, only: http://brazil.usembassy.gov/interview/forms-for-immediate-relatives-and/or-employment-based-petitions/medical-examination-instructions2.html (My husband went to the one in BH and it was very easy and hassle-free.)

Here is another site to book mark: http://brazil.usembassy.gov/interview/forms-for-immediate-relatives-and/or-employment-based-petitions.html Your wife will need to obtain police certificates in Brazil. Both Federal and State can be obtained online and the consulate / NVC accepts them since they're .pdfs. I would advise to get these right around the time your I-130 gets accepted. (Or, now, since they're good for 1 year, I think)

The interview will be conducted in the language your wife feels most comfortable using. If she wants to interview in Portuguese, then that is fine.

You will have to file taxes for 2013, regardless of whether you worked or not. You should probably file those right around now so you'll have it for the NVC stage.

We're all here to help you! Boa sorte!

Thanks alot!! :) I just made an account on uscis...

As for more help.. I do have a few more questions :D

NVC...they will send my wife a paper to sign correct? It will be in english...she does not speak english...do I just kinda help her through skype?

Also at the last stage..the interview will be on portugues for her? or do I need a translator?

I also did not file taxes for 2013...I lived in Brazil that whole year..did not work, I am working now...and I do have a joint sponsor...but will that be a problem?? I do have taxes for 2012, and 2011...

thanks!! :)

Edited by SofiaIsabella

Timeline

Kdoubrav25, we filed ours in August 2013 and it is still in initial review. We were transferred to Texas on Feb and since then, nothing!

Hubby put in a request and they require 30 more days to give an answer! This process is really stressful!

Best of luck for you during your journey and lots of patience.

Aug 2013? That is ridiculous and unacceptable on their part!!!

Definitely get your senator or congressperson involved! Go to their website and contact them via that! As soon as 30 days go by, definitely call them back and pester them! This is so wrong!

Is there a chance that you might qualify for an expedite?

Edited by SofiaIsabella

Timeline

woww thank you soo much sofia!! :)

very useful information, I did not know the medical exam can be only done in those three places?? She lives near fortaleza :( can't be done there? Do we just make an appointment and then go? she need any papers besides her id card?? expensive?

I hope we hear something soon...very anxious nw that its been 6 months already...our case is actually at the vermont center...I need to correct my profile on here!

I think the police clearance is good for only 90 days!

So once the uscis approves, I can fill out her papers in the usa? Does she need to sign?

Thank you!! :)

Timeline

My answers are in Red, see below.

woww thank you soo much sofia!! :)

very useful information, I did not know the medical exam can be only done in those three places?? Yes She lives near fortaleza :( can't be done there? No Do we just make an appointment and then go? You must have your case complete at the NVC and bring the appointment letter that the Embassy will email you she need any papers besides her id card?? the appointment letter that the Embassy will email you expensive? I believe it's around R$300 plus the cost of vaccines.

I hope we hear something soon...very anxious nw that its been 6 months already...our case is actually at the vermont center Oh, they are slow and are taking their time with cases. I would keep calling them and asking them....I need to correct my profile on here!

I think the police clearance is good for only 90 days!

So once the uscis approves, I can fill out her papers in the usa? Once you begin the NVC stage and get your case # and IIN, you can go online and begin filling out the electronic forms. Does she need to sign? She doesn't need to "literally sign" but just put in her name as a signature and so if you are helping her fill out the DS-260 form, you can put in her name at the end and select the appropriate options for helping her out. That will count as a signature.

Thank you!! :)

Edited by SofiaIsabella

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i have been waiting now for 14 months i fillied in march 2013 and still no answer i know the waiting sucks. it is not easy on my husband and I. i need him home this wait sucks.

It took us 11 months to get from NOA1 to NOA2... very frustrating but in the meantime you should work on filling out the I-864s and get all the required documentation together for that and the DS-260. Things have been moving much faster since the NOA2.

I-130 sent: 06-May-13

I-130 NOA1: 13-May-13

I-130 approved: 01-Apr-14 [323 days]

I-864 fee paid: 01-Apr-14

IV fee paid: 07-Apr-14

I-864 submitted: 09-Apr-14

DS-260 submitted: 12-Apr-14

DS-260 docs sent: 28-Apr-14

I-864 checklist rec'd: 14-May-14

Case complete @ NVC: 24-Jun-14

Medical completed: 10-Aug-14

Interview date: 5-Aug-14

Visa & packet rec'd: 7-Aug-14

POE: 14-Oct-14

Timeline

Aug 2013? That is ridiculous and unacceptable on their part!!!

Definitely get your senator or congressperson involved! Go to their website and contact them via that! As soon as 30 days go by, definitely call them back and pester them! This is so wrong!

Is there a chance that you might qualify for an expedite?

Hi Sofia. I do not think we might qualify for an expedite, we have a baby but everything else is doing fine, except for not being able to plan our lives of see each other. I am praying to have an approval before the 30 days. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your reply :)

Timeline

wow 14 months, and 11 months! I hope it doesnt take that long...

Thanks so much for the help! I printed off lots stuff from those sites you sent me sofia.. lots of help!

:)

Timeline

wow 14 months, and 11 months! I hope it doesnt take that long...

Thanks so much for the help! I printed off lots stuff from those sites you sent me sofia.. lots of help!

:)

Valeu :thumbs:

One thing you can do that someone else mentioned here is start filling out the I-864 form and start determining whether or not you'll need a co-sponsor. Here is the link to the form and instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/i-864 You can determine whether or not you'll need a co-sponsor by going here and looking at the income requirement guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Start ordering your tax transcripts from 2011, 2012, and 2013 from http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript It's more convenient to print them out online than ordering them through the mail. Also, start gathering things like pay stubs, bank statements, and maybe the letter your employer gave you when you were hired (specifying your salary, etc.) if that's relevant. A letter from HR will do, too.

Start gathering your wife's documents such as her original birth certificate (certidão de nascimento), biographical page of her passport (a photo copy or have her scan it into the computer and email it to you so you can print it out), etc.

The more proactive you are now, the less wait you'll have at the NVC.

Are you familiar with Dropbox or Google Drives? My husband and I had a Dropbox folder where we shared everything and even had lists and spreadsheets (like a project manager) where we would check off what was needed to be done and what was done. He scanned all of his original documents and shared them with me on Dropbox from Brazil. I printed them out and included them in the IV packet.

Edited by SofiaIsabella

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.