petalouda81

DV-2015 selectee & questions!!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. It was my first time so all this is very new to me... please bear with me!

My CN is 2015EU00019***

What are my chances? When do you estimate my number will become current? What docs will be needed for DS-260? Can I delay submitting it? Will my interview date depend on how soon I file the DS-260? Is there an additional fee for this form? When should/can I start looking for employment? Won't I need my green card number for job hunting? How long after visa issuance (fingers crossed) will I have to relocate? What if I currently have an ok job with a salary above the poverty limit but no assets, no savings and noone to sponsor me in the States so no affidavit of support... and of course no employment offers just yet... should I even bother going to the interview? Can I bring my dog along?

Oh, God... this is so overwhelming!!!

Thank you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good morning

You file the first form may 19th. Most of the documentation is needed for the interview so don't panic. Interviews don't start until October. Each month travel.state.gov issues a visa bulletin for a future month If your number is lower than the cut off for your area for the month that is the month you can expect to start the real process. If the area says current then all numbers for a region are process-able You have 6 months to enter the US for the first time up to a year to move and have to abide by the conditions of a green card residence wise. You probably should look at where you want to live. The nicest places/ bigger cities/best weather locations can be very very expensive. Most of the time an affidavit of support isn't asked for. It is more specific to consulate than anything else . Find someone from the same place and ask their experiences. Yes you can bring a pet , they may not be able to fly in the summer and they need a health clearance. You should probably not look too early as employers are not willing to hold empty jobs.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. It was my first time so all this is very new to me... please bear with me!
My CN is 2015EU00019***
What are my chances? When do you estimate my number will become current? What docs will be needed for DS-260? Can I delay submitting it? Will my interview date depend on how soon I file the DS-260? Is there an additional fee for this form? When should/can I start looking for employment? Won't I need my green card number for job hunting? How long after visa issuance (fingers crossed) will I have to relocate? What if I currently have an ok job with a salary above the poverty limit but no assets, no savings and noone to sponsor me in the States so no affidavit of support... and of course no employment offers just yet... should I even bother going to the interview? Can I bring my dog along?
Oh, God... this is so overwhelming!!!
Thank you :)

:)

To add to the above:

That number will certainly get an interview, probably sometime in Feb-Apr 2015. No docs needed for DS260, just for your interview. Yes you can delay submitting it; the interview date is dependent on your case number not how soon you submit the DS, provided it has been submitted with enough time for them to process it and schedule you an interview. If you submit it too late for an interview in the month you 'should' have one based on your number being current they will just schedule you as soon as they can slot you in thereafter. They will not schedule an interview without a processed DS260.

Generally your visa will have a 6 month expiry date (though in some instances it will be less than that); you can land, activate your permanent residency by doing so, and then go back home and that will give you up to a year to move back permanently.

Their assessment of potential public charges varies a lot, and you may not even be asked to show proof of finances. If they think you can find a job there quite easily you'll be fine without affidavits. This is very consulate specific though and some breeze through with no savings etc while others are asked to show financial assets. Hard to say.

You are highly unlikely to find an offer of employment before you move over so you will have to move on faith. Yes you can take your dog, be sure to find out what the vet-medical requirements are and have the right certifications.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.