AU.Dan

OC DV2015 Topics and References.

92 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so happy to have found this thread, I've been stressing out like crazy!

I think I've got a low CN 1xx, still trying to work out what to do as I have I have a long term partner here in AUS. He says I have to go for it, but so hard to think about leaving him behind? And from what I've read it could take years to get him in on my GC. Decisions! I didn't actually think if get selected, it's my first year applying. Just getting all my paperwork together in between trying to remain sane, let's hope it all goes well!

Is marrying him an option? Preferably before your interview. You presumably have plenty of evidence of it being a bona fide relationship so it should not cause too many problems when asked to show that it isn't a sham marriage. (I think there is even a way to get him on as a derivative if you marry after the interview but before you leave for the US, though that could be quite a bit more tricky,)

No expert but I think currently it takes a green card holder about a year to get a spouse or minor child over.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey everyone, so happy to have found this thread, I've been stressing out like crazy!

I think I've got a low CN 1xx, still trying to work out what to do as I have I have a long term partner here in AUS. He says I have to go for it, but so hard to think about leaving him behind? And from what I've read it could take years to get him in on my GC. Decisions! I didn't actually think if get selected, it's my first year applying. Just getting all my paperwork together in between trying to remain sane, let's hope it all goes well!

Easy solution - marry him. Then he'll get a greencard at the same time as you.

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Quick replies guys :) thanks. Yes, we are thinking about it, we have already travelled the US together as I lived and studied there for nearly two years and we both loved it there. It's more just the timing. I don't have any major commitments here, well except him and my family, he has work and is studying, and if I marry him now and he can't come at the same time as me, it won't work? He left for two weeks work away a couple of hours after I found out I was selected, and I haven't been able to speak to him that whole time! Torture. Guess we have a big decision to make this week. Shotgun wedding? We have plenty of photos, correspondence, house rental agreements, but we don't share a bank account, as we just save his wage and live off mine. Is that going to be a problem? Do you need things like signed statements from people that have known you as a couple? Is it better if these are US citizens? I would have

Timeline

Whoops, damn phone. Pressed enter before I finished typing.

Oh well, I was saying I would have preferred if we had a little more time to figure this out but feel so lucky that I have such a low case number. My stress levels have reduced about 100x since I read through this thread and the 2013 ones and realise that i don't really have to have all of this ready till October. The was the KCC words it on the selectee letter it sounds like you have to have it done RIGHT NOW! Gotta love visa applications. I had forgotten how much fun they are :)

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Quick replies guys :) thanks. Yes, we are thinking about it, we have already travelled the US together as I lived and studied there for nearly two years and we both loved it there. It's more just the timing. I don't have any major commitments here, well except him and my family, he has work and is studying, and if I marry him now and he can't come at the same time as me, it won't work? He left for two weeks work away a couple of hours after I found out I was selected, and I haven't been able to speak to him that whole time! Torture. Guess we have a big decision to make this week. Shotgun wedding? We have plenty of photos, correspondence, house rental agreements, but we don't share a bank account, as we just save his wage and live off mine. Is that going to be a problem? Do you need things like signed statements from people that have known you as a couple? Is it better if these are US citizens? I would have

I'm married myself and am completely unconcerned about any of these topics as I think they only want to see the marriage certificate. They ask for other evidence if they become suspicious, however my wife was included in the initial online application which makes a big difference.

There are some extensive threads on "post-DV selection marriage" around the place. I'd spend a few hours scanning them.

Some points:

- It needs to be the proper certificate from BDM not the ceremonial one from the wedding day.

- New Zealand only has a 3 day wait for marriages, Australia is 30 days. Hint.

- You have one of the best numbers in the world. You are very lucky.

- To sponsor your BF after getting a greencard would be a 2 year wait.

- Joint bank account doesn't matter. We don't use one either.

Whoops, damn phone. Pressed enter before I finished typing.

Oh well, I was saying I would have preferred if we had a little more time to figure this out but feel so lucky that I have such a low case number. My stress levels have reduced about 100x since I read through this thread and the 2013 ones and realise that i don't really have to have all of this ready till October. The was the KCC words it on the selectee letter it sounds like you have to have it done RIGHT NOW! Gotta love visa applications. I had forgotten how much fun they are :)

I'm married myself and am completely unconcerned about any of these topics as I think they only want to see the marriage certificate. They ask for other evidence if they become suspicious, however my wife was included in the initial online application which makes a big difference.

Gulkan, your "unconcerned " comment is pretty irrelevant to be honest as your spouse was on the form....

Possum, if you have enough other stuff, which it sounds like you do, don't stress about the bank account. Now, re the timing. Generally you would want your forms to be in about 3-4 months before the interview month, which ensures they have time to process them and then schedule the interviews (which they seem to do about 2 months beforehand). However, they only schedule interviews for those who have sent in forms. If your form arrives later than they could process and schedule an interview in the month that you "should" have one (ie the month you are current in) all that will happen is that they will process and schedule you for the next available interview after that. So no need to stress and rush. Good luck with figuring it all out!

Hi all, I'm feeling very lucky and blessed as my number is OC0001X

Hope to be living in the USA early 2015, but fly to LAX in 4 days on a 6 week vacation :dancing:

Make the most of those long vacations. Once in the US, you wont get vacation like that again! Have fun though. Are you gonna do some house hunting while you are here?

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Filed: Other Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Make the most of those long vacations. Once in the US, you wont get vacation like that again! Have fun though. Are you gonna do some house hunting while you are here?

Thanks SImon, I know, it will be hard, but we knew we would have to make sacrafice's somewhere, and that is fine.

We will be living somewhere we love being, and close to very good friends.

Yes, house hunitng is on the agenda, just have to work out how to get a mortgage.

Timeline

Hey Everyone,

I've been in touch (via email) with the Sydney Consulate regarding some questions I had and so now I thought I would pass this info on in case anyone else was wondering the same.

I have lived in QLD, NSW and VIC each for more than 6 months since the age of 16. And many different properties in each state. In regards to acquiring a Police Certificate for each 'locality' as stated in the supporting documents requirements this is what I was advised:

"You may apply for a fingerprint based Australian police certificate within the state you reside in. A fingerprint based search will cover a search for the whole of Australia. Police certificates are valid for 12mths from date of issue."

I have also inquired about whether Australians have a Visa Issuance fee if we are successful with our application and the response I got was:

"DV applicants must pay the Diversity Visa (DV) fee at the time of their visa interview."

I'm also waiting to hear back about whether there is a set amount of financial evidence we need to provide that will show we aren't likely to become a public charge. I have read in various places that 10K (USD) is the number, but never found anything on the Visa website stating a specific amount. So I'll post back when I eventually here from the consulate again (it took them about 2 weeks to reply).

Hope everyone is getting along well with their plans!

PS Also according to the June Bulletin 3499 is the highest Case Number for Oceania 2015 :)

I have also inquired about whether Australians have a Visa Issuance fee if we are successful with our application and the response I got was:

"DV applicants must pay the Diversity Visa (DV) fee at the time of their visa interview."

Just to clarify on this. You pay the $330 visa interview fee for the interview - regardless of whether or not you are successful with the application. If you are successfully issued a visa, you will need to pay another $165 USCIS fee before you enter the US. Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thanks Susie! I knew about the DV interview fee, but was confused when trying to read the reciprocity table in regards to the issuance fee. I've just looked again and noticed that says that table is for temporary visas. Did you find out about the USIC fee on the Travel.gov site?

Timeline

For anyone who was interested in what type of proof is required in terms of not becoming a public charge, here is what the Sydney Consulate has said:

"You need to qualify under the education or work experience for the Visa Diversity Lottery. The requirements of funds will be under the discretion of the Consular Officer on the day of the interview. You may bring any evidence of funds on the day of the interview, if you wish."

Not the black and white answer I would have hoped for however I'm not really surprised based on previous conversations throughout these forums.

I'm still going to aim for 10K in the bank and hopefully that will be safe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.