B_J

Teacher Risks Her Life for Her Students and Says She’d Do it All Again

13 posts in this topic

When Tricia Moses found out she needed a life-saving lung transplant, she did what most people wouldn't do -- she put it off. It's not because Moses, a 39-year-old teacher in Brooklyn, New York, was worried about the operation or treatment involved, it's because she was preparing her third grade special needs students for state exams and didn't want them to go into them without her.

IMG_7865_zps11821c1f.jpeg

That was about a year ago, and Moses nearly died when she made it to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where she received new lungs this January. After several months of rehabilitation and recovery, the devoted teacher will finally return home this week.

"I can't wait to dance, I haven't danced in so long," Moses tells the Good News Blog. "I tried the other day just for two seconds and I started crying because I haven't danced for so long. I also can't wait to surprise my students. I'm looking forward to enjoying life, dancing, breathing, taking it all in."

In 2009, Moses was diagnosed with Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease similar to lupus. Her condition advanced over the years to the point where she could hardly breathe, and in December 2012, her doctor told her she needed to quit teaching and seek a lung transplant.

IMG_9850copy_zps574e7872.jpeg

Nevertheless, Moses refused to enter treatment until April 2013, because her students at Public School 233 in Flatbush needed her to prep for upcoming tests.

"We'd been preparing for the exams for so long," Moses explains. "Even though my students have special needs, they're still held to the same standards as everyone else unfortunately. We'd worked so hard. I said please just give me another week, and then another week, and then another week. I wanted them to have a fair chance to succeed."

It got to the point where Moses was breathing with an oxygen tank, and became so weak, her kids had to help her push it around. They kept going though, and Moses kept going; it was all part of her journey.

She comments, "It was so therapeutic to go to work. It took my mind off being sick and the illness… at home, I was stuck in the room, I couldn't do anything. And we had great coffee at the school too!"

When she finally made it to the hospital, Moses was in bad shape. Her chest cavity was shrinking, and she couldn't stop coughing. In January 2014, Moses received her new lungs, and she's been in rehabilitation for the past few months. She spent five weeks in the hospital and has been living in an apartment in Pittsburgh near her doctors, so she can go in for weekly visits.

IMG_5935_zps7e1f6e43.jpeg

This week, the elementary teacher with a giant heart returns home to Brooklyn. She's taking a year off from teaching, but already can't wait to sneak up and surprise her students. She's also dealing with a mounting pile of medical bills. Insurance covered the surgery, which ran close to $1 million, but beyond that, she pays for all her doctor visits and medication out of pocket. Her friends will be hosting a fundraiser in her honor this June to help with the debt.

Moses says that despite the fact she could have lost her life, she wouldn't do anything differently if she had the opportunity. She would teach until she couldn't stop, as she knows the impact she has on her students, and that is what gives her life.

"They're children with special needs, I didn't consider it to be the job," Moses explains. "It was something I wanted to do. I wanted to be around them, and I had so much faith in them. I knew if I left them and they had a substitute teacher, it might not have gone as well. I knew that I needed to be there with them."

https://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/teacher-risks-her-life-her-students-says-she-192000937.html

She made a tough decision and stuck it out. I don't necessarily agree that it was the right decision though.

What? Don't agree? This was extremely heart warming. This is humanity dude. She wanted to be there for her students. Kids are the future. If we don't love the kids, then who will?

What? Don't agree? This was extremely heart warming. This is humanity dude. She wanted to be there for her students. Kids are the future. If we don't love the kids, then who will?

Here's something that gets to me. You read stories about someone putting their life at risk to save somebody else. But these are usually spur of the moment decisions.

But in this story, she had plenty of time to second guess herself, change her mind, lose courage, etc. But she didn't. Amazing.

What bothers me about the story is that it's an example of how important testing is in education. She's risking her life in order to make sure her students do well on a test. Just not right.

Who would take care of the kids had she died? I don't believe it was a necessary risk in this case. I give her credit for making a tough decision and seeing it through. On the other hand I would not think any less of her had she chose to leave the school and have the operation, which probably would have been the wiser decision for all involved considering the risk.

Edited by Teddy B

Here's something that gets to me. You read stories about someone putting their life at risk to save somebody else. But these are usually spur of the moment decisions.

But in this story, she had plenty of time to second guess herself, change her mind, lose courage, etc. But she didn't. Amazing.

What bothers me about the story is that it's an example of how important testing is in education. She's risking her life in order to make sure her students do well on a test. Just not right.

Yes, you are right. And if we all could do these types of selfless acts, we could really make a difference in the world and our decaying culture.

Who would take care of the kids had she died? I don't believe it was a necessary risk in this case. I give her credit for making a tough decision and seeing it through. On the other hand I would not think any less of her had she chose to leave the school and have the operation, which probably would have been the wiser decision for all involved considering the risk.

But they will would have remember her hard work for them and would have continued to work harder.

The next teacher could have very well been somebody that just doesn't care. We have some I don't give a ####### teachers out here.

I have just one question. Where did all these nice looking teachers come from? I mean seriously, all my teachers were old people!

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I have just one question. Where did all these nice looking teachers come from? I mean seriously, all my teachers were old people!

I admit, she is gorgeous. To be gorgeous and selfless are not usual combinations.

I admit, she is gorgeous. To be gorgeous and selfless are not usual combinations.

Um, you're talking to one right now. Not only am I selfless, I'm totally awesome! :goofy:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

dangerous to applaud this, imo. what if every sick mother decided to postpone treatment in order to be there for their child? what if this was the expectation, obviously we need mothers and fathers and teachers, etc. to be well if possible. says much about the state of public school overall, not just testing.

Edited by val erie

Yes, you are right. And if we all could do these types of selfless acts, we could really make a difference in the world and our decaying culture.

But they will would have remember her hard work for them and would have continued to work harder.

The next teacher could have very well been somebody that just doesn't care. We have some I don't give a ####### teachers out here.

I don't value a class of 3rd graders passing their state exams the same as a person's life. I'll take a person's life every time. Special needs or not, if this woman would've died, the loss would have been much greater both short term and long term than if some of those kids failed their exams.

dangerous to applaud this, imo. what if every sick mother decided to postpone treatment in order to be there for their child? what if this was the expectation, obviously we need mothers and fathers and teachers, etc. to be well if possible. says much about the state of public school overall, not just testing.

It's a tricky situation. On one hand I appreciate her dedication. On the other, if she would have died, that would have been a horrible thing, not to mention avoidable.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I don't value a class of 3rd graders passing their state exams the same as a person's life. I'll take a person's life every time. Special needs or not, if this woman would've died, the loss would have been much greater both short term and long term than if some of those kids failed their exams.

I understand what you are saying.