CanGirl

Going to miss Canada

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wish I was California bound...we went to Anaheim for our honeymoon and I would of gladly stayed! I love warm weather. People here are like 'you are Canadian you must be used to it!' I may be used to it but that doesn't mean I like it! It is warmer here in Utah than home, but not a whole lot, just shorter winters mainly.

I found cheese curds at a local grocery store and was way too excited. I have also made home made donairs for a few friends that turned out fabulous!

I'm SoCal bound as well! Orange County to be specific. :)

So, for those who are planning children, what type of plan is better?

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There's no Tim Hortons down in the good old south Erica (or is it Lilly?) lol I'm actually lucky there is one on the other side of town where I will be living in Michigan!

Canada_socks - glad we could make you feel a bit better! Canada is definitely so amazing that of course we will all feel homesick from time to time but being with the one we love will make it all worthwhile in the end :) <3

CanGirl - re: Timmy's - my husband loves maple dip donuts, and was thrilled when TH opened in Holland, MI, 20 minutes from where he (we) lives.

I have to admit, it will be nice to have a little reminder of home once I'm there.................

Are you moving to Southwest Michigan??

Peace.

Timeline

CanGirl - re: Timmy's - my husband loves maple dip donuts, and was thrilled when TH opened in Holland, MI, 20 minutes from where he (we) lives.

I have to admit, it will be nice to have a little reminder of home once I'm there.................

Are you moving to Southwest Michigan??

Peace.

I'll be in Northeast Michigan, up near Bay City :)

Texas Service Centre

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

02/14/13: Got Married

USCIS

10/16/13: i-130 Sent

10/25/13: NOA1

03/05/14: NOA2

NVC

03/11/14: NVC Received Case

04/10/14: Case Number and IIN Assigned

04/15/14: 4:07 PM: Received email from NVC that AOS Fee was ready to be paid

04/15/14: 4:28 PM: Received email from NVC containing Case number and IIN

04/15/14: DS-261 Available and Completed

04/15/14: AOS Fee Available and Paid

04/18/14: AOS Fee Shows PAID

04/18/14: EP ENROLL Email Sent (Received AutoReply)

04/21/14: IV Fee Invoiced

04/22/14: 4:23 PM: Received email from NVC that IV Fee was ready to be paid

04/24/14: IV Fee Available and Paid

04/25/14: IV Fee Withdrawn From Bank Account

05/02/14: IV Fee still "In Process" called NVC for supervisor to fix it

05/07/14: IV Fee Shows PAID

05/07/14: DS-260 Available and Completed

05/21/14: 10:29 AM: EP ENROLL Acceptance Email Received

05/28/14: AOS Package Emailed to NVC (Received AutoReply)

xx/xx/14: IV Package Emailed to NVC

xx/xx/14: Case Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview Scheduled

xx/xx/14: Schedule Medical

xx/xx/14: NVC Shipped Case to Consulate

xx/xx/14: Medical Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview at Consulate

xx/xx/14: Visa in Hand

xx/xx/14: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes yes to San Diego! well only because Samantha and the boys go to school there if I had a choice I would chooes Oregon well I think cuz of oregon wine

San Diego is nice, it may be dry but it isnt HOT and Dry like Arizona/Vegas/Palm Springs, average is 75-85F with 20% humidity, close to the ocean, so my skin down there is great, my hair no dandruff, get some much in Vancouver because of the weather

Wine: well two buck chuck ill avoid like the plague my wine background [WSET Level 3] and me just being a snob makes that easy to pass up ha

Cheese Curds! Brothers Provisions in Rancho Bernardo SD sells Curds!! the owner are 'canadian' think they moved to SD when they were in high school

Vancouver Canada to San Diego [Rancho Bernardo to be exact]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I miss Canada big time! I've been living in NYC since the end of Dec 2013. It's a far cry from Montreal where I was raised and lived most of my life. :(

Imagine, I leave, and now the PQ is finally ousted and the Habs are in the playoffs! I second Erica in that I also miss a good ice cappuccino from Tim Horton's. I tried a couple of them in Manhattan and God it tasted awful!

Seriously though, it's been a tough adjustment for me because I am really not loving NYC but I'm managing. My husband is so understanding and supportive. He went through a similar journey when he left our native country of Trinidad to immigrate to the US a few years ago so he gets the homesick feeling. I can't wait to go back for visits once I get my green card. I really miss my mom the most...

I haven't made any friends here yet but I know I'll eventually make some new connections. I have such awesome family and friends back in Canada and it's great that we still keep in touch regularly.

It's been great to read this thread :)

04/25/2009: First Met and not long after began a long distance relationship.

10/27/2012: Married

12/20/2013 Most recent US Entry. Two week visit intended - decided to switch from consular processing to AOS after change in circumstances.

I-130 - See my profile for detailed info

AOS

02/05/2014: I-693 Civil Surgeon Medical Exam

02/28/2014: (00) AOS sent

03/03/2014: (03) AOS received

03/05/2014: (05) NOA date

03/06/2014: (06) Cheques cashed

03/10/2014: (10) Received hardcopy of NOA's

03/17/2014: (17) Received biometrics notice (appt. date 04/07/2014)

03/18/2014: (18) Successful walk-in for biometrics Brooklyn ASC

04/10/2014: (41) AOS E-mail notification status updated to Testing and Interview

04/16/2014: (47) AOS E-mail notification Interview Appointment Notice for May 19, 2014 @ 9:30 a.m.

05/08/2014: (69) EAD card in production e-mail notification

05/14/2014: (75) EAD card mailed and tracking number e-mail notification

05/16/2014: (77) EAD card received and applied for SSN

05/19/2014: (80) AOS Interview at Federal Plaza - approval pending due to I-130 file not transferred to NYC field office from Nebraska!

06/04/2014: (96) Infopass scheduled in order to show approved I-130 notice and attempt to get I-485 approval sped up. IO wasn't at work so left copy of approved I-130 and written case review request.

06/20/2014: (112) Green card was approved.

06/26/2014: (118) Received e-mail/text notification of green card approval and that card was also mailed. Received USPS tracking number at 6:45 p.m. EST.

06/27/2014: (119) Received green card in the mailbox.

ROC

03/22/2016: (00) I-751 package sent

03/23/2016: (01) I-751 package received at CSC

03/28/2016: (07) Rcvd NOA1 that includes 1 yr GC extension

03/31/2016: (10) Rcvd Bio appt notice (appt. date 04/11/2016)

04/05/2016: (15) Early bio walk-in attempt successful

Timeline

I am going to miss Canada. I will miss my family and my children, but they are grown now and have there own lives. I was born and raised in a small town of 300 people and then moved to a bigger town of about 5000 people in Northern Ontario. So you can imagine this country girl moving to a big city just south of Boston, MA. It's going to be an adventure. I am going to miss the sounds of nature and the piece and quiet. I don't do well with the hustle and bustle and the noise of the big city. I've visited him often and absolutely hate it where he lives, I'm afraid to walk down the street even during the day. I know I won't be going for any long walks with the dog anymore. And it's going to be a switch having 3 younger children to care for. Not used to little ones anymore. I will be alone and not know anyone. But it will all be worth it. We've spent the last 5 years apart, I just want to be with him. We'd both love to live here in Canada but because his ex-wife has custody of the kids that's just not possible. I get bugged a lot for saying EH. Drives me nuts. I mean I could make fun of them because of there Boston accent but I don't it's called respect. Hopefully I can make it work. I know I miss home a lot and have my moments, but he is what I want so I will make it work no matter what.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

05/19/12 : Got married

USCIS

07/21/13 : I-130 Mailed to USCIS

07/24/13 : NOA1

01/13/14 : Case transferred to CSC

01/31/14 : NOA2

NVC

02/11/14 : NVC received the case

03/18/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

03/19/14 : ENROLL Email sent (Did not receive auto reply)

03/20/14 : DS-261 Available and submitted

03/21/14 : AOS bill Available and paid

03/26/14 : AOS shows paid

03/26/14 : ENROLL email sent again (Received auto reply this time)

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

03/28/14 : IV bill available and paid

04/04/14 : IV shows paid

04/04/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/15/14 : AOS Emailed(received auto-reply)

04/17/14 : Received ENROLL acceptance email from NVC

04/17/14 : IV package emailed(Received Auto-reply)

04/17/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of AOS-notice by email

04/21/14 : AOS approved (No checklist woo hoo, by phoning NVC))

04/21/14 : False check list for IV docs- email from NVC

04/28/14 : NVC reviewed DS-260

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

05/05/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of IV- notice by email

05/06/14 : Case Complete

05/14/14 : Interview scheduled--JUNE 25

06/03/14 : Medical with Dr. Ian Zatzman

07/11/14 : POE Qweenston/Lewiston Bridge New York

Timeline

Being that I left Canada in late 2004..and stil have the "eh" I sort of take pride after nearly 10 yrs of living in the USA...that I still have the "eh" and people bring it up--oh you must be Canadian! usually say back, yes, how did you guess, my great looks and intelligence? No it was your "eh" or "aboot" lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.