mmsantos

Government Benefits and Petitioning

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I'm recently started my own business and am on state health insurance since my income is unstable. I would like to petition for my boyfriend with my parents as co-sponsors. I saw on this site that even though they make a substantial amount, the fact that I'm on government benefits might cause a denial of the application. If so, would it be best to no longer accept state health insurance and then file the application? Please advise.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The sooner you start the sooner you can move forward with the process and the sooner you can be together. The initial steps in filling an I-129F don't deal with the ability of you to support your future spouse. When we filled out our I-129F application no where was I (the USC) asked about income. For the intial approval (getting to NOA2) you only need to prove that you have met your boyfriend in person in the last two years and that you are both eligible to Marry. Filing a front loaded I-129F with solid proof of real relationship is a time consuming (and potentially enjoyable) process. So gather up the forms, start filling them out and find the $340 for the application and get started. In the couple of months (or maybe as many as 5-7) that it takes to get to NOA2 perhaps your business will flourish and you'll be off state Health Insurance anyway! Here's hopping.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are a USC and entitled to the benefits. You will be using a co-sponsor, and as long as their is no long term history of being on public assistance, then I do not believe you using state health insurance will be an issue at all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm recently started my own business and am on state health insurance since my income is unstable. I would like to petition for my boyfriend with my parents as co-sponsors. I saw on this site that even though they make a substantial amount, the fact that I'm on government benefits might cause a denial of the application. If so, would it be best to no longer accept state health insurance and then file the application? Please advise.

No affect, file away......but know that some Embassies do not accept cosponsors for K-1s. Since you haven't filled in your information or timeline, we don't know your fiance(e)'s country and can't comment to that point.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you for all these responses. I've been on state health insurance since Jan. 2014. But, I just realized I can apply for Obamacare as a small business with 1 employee instead. I just want to be as thorough as possible when completing the application and trying to . My boyfriend lives in Romania. I met him there last year in October and I visited him again for a month long trip this past February. I'll update my timeline now.

Thank you for all these responses. I've been on state health insurance since Jan. 2014. But, I just realized I can apply for Obamacare as a small business with 1 employee instead. I just want to be as thorough as possible when completing the application and trying to . My boyfriend lives in Romania. I met him there last year in October and I visited him again for a month long trip this past February. I'll update my timeline now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

The embassy in Bucharest does accept cosponsors for a k1, so no worries there :)

I'm the Beneficiary
N400 April 2017 fillers: https://goo.gl/cp2Uxz
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.