obrakeo

B-2 Visitors Visa during CR-1/IR-1 filing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've seen some similar postings and hoped I'd find something specific to my questions, but no luck. So I'll just post here and see who bites.

I filed my paperwork last week and am still coming to grips with the long wait times ahead. I'd just gotten back from 8 months in Vietnam on an extended sabbatical. Ended up spending 7 of those months with my now wife. Anywho, had to head back to the states to get back to work and now I'm looking into getting a travel visa for her.

She doesn't own a house or anything there. I am reading that family ties should suffice as far as evidence of her heading back to Vietnam? Does anyone have any experience with this and know what the travel visa interview consists of? I'm not worried about proving I can provide financially for her visit.

Also, I noticed the visa is valid for 90 days, but can be extended up to 6 months. Are there specific requirements to extend? Lots of questions not a lot of credible information that I've been able to uncover....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Family ties, you said you are in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So where are the family ties?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"She doesn't own a house or anything there. I am reading that family ties should suffice as far as evidence of her heading back to Vietnam? Does anyone have any experience with this and know what the travel visa interview consists of?"

This is going to be a tough one. I research this in the past and a lot of people get denied from Tourist Visa coming from Vietnam to the US.

She needs to prove that if she visits the US that she will go back to Vietnam. If she is your wife then that is a red flag. The consulate is going to think they she will come the US and just to stay with you and not go back to Vietnam. The question for you, do you have documents with that would prove otherwise.

Having a House would help however as you mention she doesn't have a house. Does she work? If yes, ask her if she can obtain a letter from her work place that there is an agreement that she will visit the US and that she will come back because she has work.

Does she have kids? you can utilize this point that she has to come back to take care of her kids. This would be consider family ties. I don't think you can utilize her parents as family ties. That is a tough one to use.

This is all I can think of for you but in my humble opinion that I think you will be fighting a uphill battle and that you case is weak unless you noted otherwise.

Maybe others can provide their opinion as well.

good luck (I mean that sincerely)

Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete82

11/05/2013 - Sent I-129F Form

11/13/2013 - cash checked

11/18/2013 - receive text and email notification for NOA1

11/20/2013 - receive text and email notification for Alien Registration Number changed

12/12/2013 - receive text and email notification for NOA2 (Approved!)

01/14/2014 - fiancée received package #3

01/21/2014 - Package #3 sent

01/22/2014 - Consulate received Packaged #3

02/24/2014 - HSBC bank payment completed

03/11/2014 - Medical Exam + Shots completed

03/21/2014 - interview date

03/21/2014 - Approved!

03/28/2014 - Visa delivered

04/30/2014 - Fly to VN
05/11/2014 - Bring my fiancée back to the US

Filed: Timeline

My wife did the B-2 in Vietnam and got it. Documents don't matter for the B-2. You can bring all the paper in the world and they won't want to see it for a B-2. It is entirely based off the answers on the application and the answers at the interview. Most lawyers will advise against it as you spouse maybe tempted to lie which would result in the CR-1 being denied down the road. Simple solution to this is don't lie.

My wife was approved because we had a new baby and already had been approved on the I-130. They didn't see a visit with a new baby as unreasonable and we were so far with the CR-1 way wouldn't we come back to finish it. We also live together in Saigon and I work in south east asia. Your case would be a lot harder. But the B2 is little effort and only coast $165 so if denied it's no big deal and it doesn't affect your CR-1.

If you don't believe in any of our advices here (like in one of your post in other thread in this sub-forum), why not just popping $160 to try it out?

Or you're just too "cheap" to even try that one out?

Listen pal, noone in here earns a dime to give out advice (minus all the wasted time and some don't even come back to say thanks at all). You get what you PAID for!

In the history of this Vietnamese forum, NO BENEFICIARY ever comes in here saying thanks after they achieve what they want!

Thanks, and now get the @@))#$@+#@ off this forum, douchebag!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.