Annabelle

Brining my Mom to the USA

82 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm a permanent resident of the USA and my husband is a US citizen. I know I can't file 1-130 to bring my mom to the USA before I become a US citizen. So we tried to bring her here as a visitor just for couple of months but when she applied for a visa she didn't get it (as they explained she didn't demonstrate tight connection with Russia). Unless she has some additional documents to show they they advised her not to try again. Any ideas on that? Or maybe somebody had been in such situation? Any help would be appreciated !!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I'm a permanent resident of the USA and my husband is a US citizen. I know I can't file 1-130 to bring my mom to the USA before I become a US citizen. So we tried to bring her here as a visitor just for couple of months but when she applied for a visa she didn't get it (as they explained she didn't demonstrate tight connection with Russia). Unless she has some additional documents to show they they advised her not to try again. Any ideas on that? Or maybe somebody had been in such situation? Any help would be appreciated !!!

Annabelle, that is such a sad situation and I truly sympathise. I can't imagine what it must be like to be unable to get your mother here for a visit, prior to you being able to file an I-130 for her. I am thankful that I come from a country that has the Visa Waiver Program - not that my parents have used it more than once.

I don't know what documents were submitted with your mother's tourist visa application, so I am answering this "blind" really, but things like rental/home ownership documents, a letter from her employer (if she has one), etc, are the kind of documents I would provide. You could always make a call to the consulate and ask, specifically, what documents they are looking for.

Good Luck!

G.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Timeline

Girona40,

Thank you for your attention! That's the problem we have - when she applied she provided a lot of documents you've mentioned - proof of ownership and letter from her employer. My mom is a widower and I'm the only child so I think this is what got them scared that she doesn't have any interest to stay in russia and she will stay in YSA when she comes. But that is not true. She has a job and we don't have any intentions to leave her here unless now and then when I can file I-130 we will do that/ We just don't know what else to do to proov she is not going to stay illigaly here. So SAD!!!! :unsure::unsure::crying::unsure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Girona40,

Thank you for your attention! That's the problem we have - when she applied she provided a lot of documents you've mentioned - proof of ownership and letter from her employer. My mom is a widower and I'm the only child so I think this is what got them scared that she doesn't have any interest to stay in russia and she will stay in YSA when she comes. But that is not true. She has a job and we don't have any intentions to leave her here unless now and then when I can file I-130 we will do that/ We just don't know what else to do to proov she is not going to stay illigaly here. So SAD!!!! :unsure::unsure::crying::unsure:

I know that sometimes the Immigration regulations seem so hard on people - and much of the time they are. I guess they have had so many people in the past that come to visit and just stay that they are now very cautious when people who have family that immigrated not so long ago, then want to come and visit. I know that this is not what your mother is doing, but you just have to convince them of that. Like I said, ask them directly what documents they are looking for, what documents can your mother provide in order that she can come and visit you in the US.

Good Luck - I know how sad it is when you don't get to see your mother much. I miss mine terribly too.

Hugs

G.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Annabelle,

I am sorry to read about your experience. I also would like to invite my mom here for a visit, and I am afraid they will not issue her a visa.

After all, our moms have no reasons to overstay and be in US illegally! In two-three years we (their daughters) will become US citizens and can bring our parents here as PR. If my mom likes it here, she will not overstay, she will go back to Russia, enroll into English classes, and come to live here legally in several years. If she does not like it here, she will leave.

What other evidences do they need???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Annabelle,

As I said before, with Russia it is very tricky to get tourist visas for average income earning citizens outside of Moscow. The embassy requires the usual proof of family in Russia, job, house, etc. But when you look at the overall picture, who wants to go back to a job where you work 12 hours a day for $150 a month? Who wants to return to an small flat located in the middle of Siberia? Who wants to return to their 75.5 horse power Russian car? So having all the usual documents that show ties can in my opinion paint the exact opposite picture which is that based on your current situation America sure sounds better.

timelena,

Our moms have every reason to overstay. Do you have any idea how many Russians overstay their visas and never go back? Especially in major cities like Brooklyn, San Francisco, and Chicago. The Russian community is large and supportive. They can earn a quick buck working for cash as baby sitters, maids, mechanics, or just construction hands. Plus because our mothers are immediate relatives their overstay will be forgotten when the kids are eligible to file I-130's on their behalf? What is there to return to Russia for, if your only daughter and and say grandson is in America living a life they never had in Russia?

Timeline

WOWWW!!!

Sounds like there is no way my mom can get her visa and come and visit me!!?? I still hope there are some clues to help our situation!! I hope there will be somebody who got rejected once, too and who got there visa the second time.

My mom is an ownwe of two quite big apartments and she has a store and a car so I don't think economical tie is so bad!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If she owns two big apartments, a business and a car she should be able to demonstrate enough ties to get the visa. Did she take evidence of that with her? You might try contacting your congressman.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Maybe she can find a nice American gentleman to make a K-1 visa for her.

(Only joking!)

I'm wondering how this is going to work, because in a year or two, I'd like to bring my MIL over for a visit. She has no "strong ties" to Russia, but I know she has NO desire at all to stay here in the U.S.

There was someone on here a few months ago that had their mother come visit. (Texas, maybe?) I know AKDiver's parent's-in-law recently visited in Alaska. (Maybe the embassy thought "who'd wanna stay in Alaska? We can't even get our own people to stay in Alaska." (Not a shot at Alaska, AKDiver. I know you love it!))

I don't know. It's like all the other visas from Russia; they're possible, but hit-or-miss when it comes to actually getting one issued. Like Satellite illustrated, a "good life" in Russia is very easily viewed by the C/O at the embassy as something that someone would leave in a heartbeat for the "American dream." But we know our (especially older) Russian relatives have no desire to immigrate. I guess we'll be going there for a while...

Another possible route, (and I don't condone this) is for your mother to "pay the fine" for getting her paperwork done properly by her local "agents" that handle that sort of thing, i.e., she now owns 20 apartments and makes approximately $2,000/month profit from them, her shop does big business to the tune of $2,000/month, and she has 4 grandchildren that she cares for. Things like that are possible in Russia. (Once again I don't condone this.... just saying it's possible.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Another possible route, (and I don't condone this) is for your mother to "pay the fine" for getting her paperwork done properly by her local "agents" that handle that sort of thing

Things like that are possible in Russia.

And at the US Consulate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Annabelle,

As I said before, with Russia it is very tricky to get tourist visas for average income earning citizens outside of Moscow. The embassy requires the usual proof of family in Russia, job, house, etc. But when you look at the overall picture, who wants to go back to a job where you work 12 hours a day for $150 a month? Who wants to return to an small flat located in the middle of Siberia? Who wants to return to their 75.5 horse power Russian car? So having all the usual documents that show ties can in my opinion paint the exact opposite picture which is that based on your current situation America sure sounds better.

timelena,

Our moms have every reason to overstay. Do you have any idea how many Russians overstay their visas and never go back? Especially in major cities like Brooklyn, San Francisco, and Chicago. The Russian community is large and supportive. They can earn a quick buck working for cash as baby sitters, maids, mechanics, or just construction hands. Plus because our mothers are immediate relatives their overstay will be forgotten when the kids are eligible to file I-130's on their behalf? What is there to return to Russia for, if your only daughter and and say grandson is in America living a life they never had in Russia?

Wow, well said! I couldn't agree more. I especially like the 75.5 horse power car part :thumbs: Man, do these cars suck!!!

Annabelle, I am SO SORRY it happened to your mom :( It's unfair. I don't know what advice to give you - I don't personally know anyone whose tourist visa was denied, but I still remember my interview for a student visa a few years ago at the American Embassy in Moscow. There were at least 3 denials there while I was waiting for my turn, and all of them were ladies who wanted to visit their sons/daughters in the U.S. :( :( :(

My parents visited me here once, but I was still on a visa (non-immigrant), and they are very well off by all standards. And I still worried a lot that they would get a denial!

Unfortunately, lots of Russian citizens overstay their visas and break the law here. Lots. I go to Russian immigration forums sometimes, and people there openly discuss how to cheat the system and stay in the U.S. It makes me sad, but it's true :(

Then again - nothing stops your mom from trying to get a visa. She may get a wonderful consular officer who will grant a visa without a second thought! :) It happens too.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
Another possible route, (and I don't condone this) is for your mother to "pay the fine" for getting her paperwork done properly by her local "agents" that handle that sort of thing

And at the US Consulate?

Russians are very good at lying, cheating, and stealing. You can see it today from the top of the government and oligarchs all the way down to the common folk. So to present false documents with a straight face is no problem for most Russians. And how will the CO prove that the documents are false? They have all the proper seals and stamps. I am sure it is done with success more times than we want to imagine.

Oleg Gazmanov - Novoya zarya gives a comical insight into Russian bribery and stealing :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyYZ9Q2vHI

Timeline

And at the US Consulate?

Russians are very good at lying, cheating, and stealing. You can see it today from the top of the government and oligarchs all the way down to the common folk. So to present false documents with a straight face is no problem for most Russians. And how will the CO prove that the documents are false? They have all the proper seals and stamps. I am sure it is done with success more times than we want to imagine.

Oleg Gazmanov - Novoya zarya gives a comical insight into Russian bribery and stealing :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyYZ9Q2vHI

They do not have to prove they are false.

I took the initial comment as refering to bribing the Consulate.

From the outside perspective, there does not seem much to complain about.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Girona40,

Sorry to hear about your issue. But I am not sure if your mom metioned that you are pregnant to the interviewer and you want her to be their for the birth or care for you while pregnant? Also have you thought about, and anyone please help me with this that knows more about it, but file for her to immigrate to US as an IR-5? She is an immediate relative to a permanent resident, so she qualifies. Also I think she is eligible for you to file DCF so you are working with the US Embassy in Russia which maybe more understanding as well as quicker? And my understanding, just because she immigrated to US, she can hold dual status and still live in Russia, as long as she visits US so many times? Anyone who knows more about this please help. Also I think she is also eligible for a 7 year visitor VISA?

I am going to do some reading, but if anyone has more info on this, please write. I am just learning of this myself. Good luck you!!

11/10/06 - Married in Ukraine

11/14/06 - I-130 Petition filed and approved

12/08/06 - First interview - we cancelled - shot ourselves in the foot for this!!!!

01/23/07 - 2nd Interview was cancelled due to Adam Walsh Act

02/13/07 - Sonya recieved her 5 year B-2 Tourist Visa

02/21/07 - Sonya arrives in America

02/26/07 - We are told of new interview on 3/8, but she is in america

03/08/07 - Cancelled interview, Sonya is in America

04/16/07 - Fly back to Ukraine

04/25/07 - FINALLY!!!! LOL Interview and VISA approved!!!

04/27/07 - VISA delay due to Sonya's name misspelling - Embassy typo in database

05/02/07 - Called DOS Washington - name check cleared for Sonya - but

told us no VISA was approved for daughter

05/03/07 - Embassy says VISA printed 5/2, but we caught that they forgot VISA for daughter

and the courier entered wrong address to mail VISA - SO MANY TYPO's & MISTAKES :(

05/08/07 - VISA YEAH!!!! FINALLY!

05/23/07 - Back to America - Well almost - Airlines messed up and sent daughters ticket to Chicago

05/30/07 - They finally made it!!! :)

07/03/07 - Green cards recieved

07/06/07 - Applied for SS card at local office, DS-230 application lost

2/19/2010 - Everything is great!!! We now live in South Carolina - Sonya has applied for her citizenship!! She attends USC for her BSN. Her mother has made 3 trips to US.

Timeline
Girona40,

Sorry to hear about your issue. But I am not sure if your mom metioned that you are pregnant to the interviewer and you want her to be their for the birth or care for you while pregnant? Also have you thought about, and anyone please help me with this that knows more about it, but file for her to immigrate to US as an IR-5? She is an immediate relative to a permanent resident, so she qualifies. Also I think she is eligible for you to file DCF so you are working with the US Embassy in Russia which maybe more understanding as well as quicker? And my understanding, just because she immigrated to US, she can hold dual status and still live in Russia, as long as she visits US so many times? Anyone who knows more about this please help. Also I think she is also eligible for a 7 year visitor VISA?

I am going to do some reading, but if anyone has more info on this, please write. I am just learning of this myself. Good luck you!!

You have to be a Citizen to sponsor a Parent.

You need a Work Visa to undertake child care.

7 year Visa? - Is this a Visa for visiting Russia? Why would a Russian Citizen need one.

DCF does not apply.

A Legal Permanent Resident has to maintain the US as their Primary Residence, an odd visit will not do that.

More learning to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.