Hollyday

Transporting a painting by plane

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all, i have the following question: when i'm moving from Russia to the US i will be transporting my personal belongings by plane (i don't have any furniture or stuff, and my husband has already taken some stuff over for me) but there is one thing i'm concerned about: i have an oil painting in a frame that i want to also bring to the US, sized approx. 77x77 cms (31x31 inches).

I'm planning to involve a moving company to get a carton box made for it (i'll have to take it out at customs probably) but the question is: if anyone's had similar experience: would a painting this size be allowed as hand luggage? Are there any known airlines that would allow that?

Should i maybe consider sending it with a courier service?

Worst comes to worst i'm prepared to submit it as non-standard sized fragile luggage.

Thanks in advance!

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi! I just brought a oil painting over to the us from Norway, what we did was ti take it off the frame and roll it up into a tube. Put my address on it and sent it with the plane. It cost extra, $120, but it depends on the airline too though. The painting was 1m x 1m. Then I got it reframed in the US.

Hi all, i have the following question: when i'm moving from Russia to the US i will be transporting my personal belongings by plane (i don't have any furniture or stuff, and my husband has already taken some stuff over for me) but there is one thing i'm concerned about: i have an oil painting in a frame that i want to also bring to the US, sized approx. 77x77 cms (31x31 inches).

I'm planning to involve a moving company to get a carton box made for it (i'll have to take it out at customs probably) but the question is: if anyone's had similar experience: would a painting this size be allowed as hand luggage? Are there any known airlines that would allow that?

Should i maybe consider sending it with a courier service?

Worst comes to worst i'm prepared to submit it as non-standard sized fragile luggage.

Thanks in advance!

Done what the other post noted: unframe and roll; but this was in a canvas that was not old and in which I was not going to be too concern that the paint would crack or break as I re-stretch in a new frame.

On one that was older and I was more attached, the airline recommended a company that built a small 'crate' for the paint (with wood/playwood and some padding with room around (nothing was actually touching the canvasa itself, the entire support was on the frame). Then you need to ensur that changes in air pressure would not damage it (they can do that too). There was a cost; but the quality and value was worth it.

If using the tube method, you can carry on, I have done that as recent as a couple of year ago, the tube fit in teh above compartment and I was on the ready to check that people were not shoving and crashing their suitcases onto the tube. Did not take any space from others and everyone was undertanding. Alternatively, one of the attendants offered to put it in the space they use for their own luggage.

This was not in a US airline though..British Airways if I recall correctly. However, I have a paint in a tube from South America into hte US, in American or United, can't recall; no problems but no offer to put it with the crew luggage.

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

I'm not sure about russia, but I had an issue with bringing some art from moldova to the us. The customs at the airport wanted to see a certificate from some agency showing that the work was not a rare cultural treasure before they would lei us leave. After they realized I wasn't going to pay a bribe they let me through. I expect russia has a similar regulation.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi! I just brought a oil painting over to the us from Norway, what we did was ti take it off the frame and roll it up into a tube. Put my address on it and sent it with the plane. It cost extra, $120, but it depends on the airline too though. The painting was 1m x 1m. Then I got it reframed in the US.

Thanks, unfortunately it's fairly old, so i don't want to risk it cracking while being rolled.

Done what the other post noted: unframe and roll; but this was in a canvas that was not old and in which I was not going to be too concern that the paint would crack or break as I re-stretch in a new frame.

On one that was older and I was more attached, the airline recommended a company that built a small 'crate' for the paint (with wood/playwood and some padding with room around (nothing was actually touching the canvasa itself, the entire support was on the frame). Then you need to ensur that changes in air pressure would not damage it (they can do that too). There was a cost; but the quality and value was worth it.

If using the tube method, you can carry on, I have done that as recent as a couple of year ago, the tube fit in teh above compartment and I was on the ready to check that people were not shoving and crashing their suitcases onto the tube. Did not take any space from others and everyone was undertanding. Alternatively, one of the attendants offered to put it in the space they use for their own luggage.

This was not in a US airline though..British Airways if I recall correctly. However, I have a paint in a tube from South America into hte US, in American or United, can't recall; no problems but no offer to put it with the crew luggage.

Thanks, i've heard about the method with the tube but the painting was made in the 70s and i'm worried about it cracking if i do that, so i want to make a box for it while it remains framed.

I'm not sure about russia, but I had an issue with bringing some art from moldova to the us. The customs at the airport wanted to see a certificate from some agency showing that the work was not a rare cultural treasure before they would lei us leave. After they realized I wasn't going to pay a bribe they let me through. I expect russia has a similar regulation.

We do have one, yes, i intend to take care of that tomorrow actually. You need to bring the painting to a special authority + 2 photos with description and copy of foreign passport and they issue a letter saying it's ok to take it out.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.