JAYKE

Just found a local British grocery

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

So, I was looking for a british food mail order the other day, and came across one (www.thebritishshoppe.com), that turned out being only about 35 mins. from our house!! We went there today, and they had LOTS of goodies we haven't been able to find elsewhere, like fresh Devon cream, shandy and yorkshire pudding mix. Spent lots of money, but it was worth it. Where we live in Connecticut, our local groceries carry LOTS of British food (we get Bird's custard there, as well as salad cream, heinz beans and tomato soup, and Jacob's cream crackers), but this place also had fresh meats, including scottish bangers, cornish pasties, and sausage rolls.

Now for the bad news - the shop is closing in two weeks as the owners are moving to florida.... mail order still will exist, but that means paying for shipping.

The Good news - the local store (for local people, lol) has been bought by another ex-pat, who will be getting rid of the gift shop part and expanding the grocery even more when they re-open in April. I will let you all know how it is there, and if you want, can certainly pick up any dry goods (like sage and onion stuffing, yum) and see if I can ship it cheaper.

Happy

Jayke

Timeline
there is a little british section in our local supermarket -- who should I see poking around there this past weekend? Why it was only Johnny "Rotten" Lydon! It seems he misses his Jacob's Cream Crackers and PG tips.

Wow!!! Did anyone (besides you) recognize him?

Happy

Jayke

yes -- the guy who runs the shop (a very elderly mexican man) says something like "oh yes, never mind the bollocks, used to be high on drugs, pretend's to be very rude on tv but really very nice man - he comes in all the time"

90day.jpg

Timeline
yes -- the guy who runs the shop (a very elderly mexican man) says something like "oh yes, never mind the bollocks, used to be high on drugs, pretend's to be very rude on tv but really very nice man - he comes in all the time"

That's pretty funny....

Happy

Jayke

I can understand his excitement. I found Claudeth a Filipino grocery store and she was in heaven, damn near bought the place out :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline
So, I was looking for a british food mail order the other day, and came across one (www.thebritishshoppe.com), that turned out being only about 35 mins. from our house!! We went there today, and they had LOTS of goodies we haven't been able to find elsewhere, like fresh Devon cream, shandy and yorkshire pudding mix. Spent lots of money, but it was worth it. Where we live in Connecticut, our local groceries carry LOTS of British food (we get Bird's custard there, as well as salad cream, heinz beans and tomato soup, and Jacob's cream crackers), but this place also had fresh meats, including scottish bangers, cornish pasties, and sausage rolls.

Now for the bad news - the shop is closing in two weeks as the owners are moving to florida.... mail order still will exist, but that means paying for shipping.

The Good news - the local store (for local people, lol) has been bought by another ex-pat, who will be getting rid of the gift shop part and expanding the grocery even more when they re-open in April. I will let you all know how it is there, and if you want, can certainly pick up any dry goods (like sage and onion stuffing, yum) and see if I can ship it cheaper.

My mouth was watering reading all this! But are they opening up a shop in FL????? Your loss is my gain!

there is a little british section in our local supermarket -- who should I see poking around there this past weekend? Why it was only Johnny "Rotten" Lydon! It seems he misses his Jacob's Cream Crackers and PG tips.

I would have fallen over!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.