Missjadey

Drivers liscence

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once my Visa goes through and I move to Washington State, what do i nee dto do to get a Washington State drivers liscence? I have my "N" in BC at the moment and was wondering if I would have to do another test in Washington or once I get my green card I would be able to renew it like normal?

You will need to contact your local DMV office to find out. I have a full clean UK driving license but have to take the computer test and driving test all over again. I was convinced it would be a straight swap for a US License. Boy was I wrong. Each state is different (im in Mississippi) so you could get lucky smile.png

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

As a Canadian I had to do a written and road test in California.

And it makes sense to have to do the test as some of the rules of the road are different in the US than in Canada.

I was hoping being from Canada there would be less requirements to switch over than maybe you experienced coming from the UK.

I was convinced as a UK license holder I would not have to re-take the driving test as the UK driving test is one of the most strictest and most difficult to overcome and pass... its a privilege to be a UK license holder. However, after a trip to the DMV office I was told that this is most certainly not the case... I am now studying hard for my computer test and Driving test which I hope to take in the next few weeks.

You will just have to call your local DMV on the number I supplied you with and find out.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once my Visa goes through and I move to Washington State, what do i nee dto do to get a Washington State drivers liscence? I have my "N" in BC at the moment and was wondering if I would have to do another test in Washington or once I get my green card I would be able to renew it like normal?

I came down to Washington state from BC. Washington state allows drivers from BC to get a new license without additional tests. I just showed up and let them see my BC license (they hole punched it), and updated my info/showed them my K1 visa and they took my picture and gave me a temporary license that day. I got a new one in the mail about a week or two later. There is a fee of course but otherwise no stress. I was prepared for a lot of hassle!

Edited to add: I didn't have an N on my license so I'm not sure how that would affect your situation. Maybe call and ask someone? Otherwise you could try to take your N test before you leave BC?

Edited by VeeNDee

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Wow awesome! That's really great to hear! Thank you for the info! I knew that Washington State gave lienency to BC residents on some things, I'm glad to hear this is one of them!

I'm not sure about your N situation though....

Here's a website with more information:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

VeeNDee

Besides for the issues I had with my SAVE db I just had to switch over my license in Colorado. Each state is different.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was convinced as a UK license holder I would not have to re-take the driving test as the UK driving test is one of the most strictest and most difficult to overcome and pass... its a privilege to be a UK license holder. However, after a trip to the DMV office I was told that this is most certainly not the case... I am now studying hard for my computer test and Driving test which I hope to take in the next few weeks.

You will just have to call your local DMV on the number I supplied you with and find out.

All foriegn nationals who want a driver's license have to go through testing, unfortunately. After a year of driving in the UK (living there for a job I had) getting back to driving on the Right side of the road, instead of the proper-side, was a challenge for a few days. My wife is taking driving lessons here in TX and will test before month's end. She has a Ukrainian license, but that means very little...

Good luck to you.

Vic & Mark

If you and your fiancee are starting or in the K1 process,

follow this valuable flowchart: link- http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

The process is difficult, but worth all the stress.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dang. Written and road test? I haven't had to parallel park in years....better brush up on a few things.

Ps ricnally thanks for the warning. (Albertan going to Cali here)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

All foriegn nationals who want a driver's license have to go through testing, unfortunately. After a year of driving in the UK (living there for a job I had) getting back to driving on the Right side of the road, instead of the proper-side, was a challenge for a few days. My wife is taking driving lessons here in TX and will test before month's end. She has a Ukrainian license, but that means very little...

No, every state is different. NY does not require testing for Canadians, and as VeeNDee stated BC->WA requires no tests. Massachusetts will take Canadian or Mexican licences with a copy of your driving record and just an eye exam. Every state is different.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

No, every state is different. NY does not require testing for Canadians, and as VeeNDee stated BC->WA requires no tests. Massachusetts will take Canadian or Mexican licences with a copy of your driving record and just an eye exam. Every state is different.

The weird part about WA is it allows no testing for residents of BC.... but not the other provinces. But it also allows no testing for two countries-Germany and South Korea. So odd! You would think other Canadian provinces would be more similar in driving than countries across the oceans. Also Random! I wonder if it has to do with treaties or some such thing why only BC and those 2 countries are allowed to swap licenses in WA state.

VeeNDee

The weird part about WA is it allows no testing for residents of BC.... but not the other provinces. But it also allows no testing for two countries-Germany and South Korea. So odd! You would think other Canadian provinces would be more similar in driving than countries across the oceans. Also Random! I wonder if it has to do with treaties or some such thing why only BC and those 2 countries are allowed to swap licenses in WA state.

Texas:

Individuals who hold a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or from Canada, France, South Korea or Germany (the countries Texas has license reciprocity agreements with), do not have to take the knowledge or driving tests.

I found the answer without entirely looking for it. I was curious of a southern state would have such arrangements with Mexico, and I came across part of the 'why' for those other countries. I wonder if this is military related, since we have a large number of servicemen in Germany and South Korea...but then I would expect Japan to be on the list as well. Germany has some form of agreement with 37 US States.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.