4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello, you guys.

I have a question about filing my I-485. I've been reading on these forums, and on the Visa Journey guides that with your I-485, you need to file some sort of evidence of residence in the US. They name things as joint bank accounts, driver's licences, rental contracts or receipts of big purchases you've done with your husband/wife. Now that I'm trying to file my I-485 and my work permit as fast as possible, I find myself in quite a pickle. Should I go through the process of joining my wife's bankaccount and gathering the needed documents to file for a Georgia driver's licence (which is taking a lot longer and needs a lot more documentation than I originally expected), or should I file for my I-485 now and risk the process taking longer due to lack of supporting evidence? I have all the things that the original USCIS form instructions ask for, and I feel like giving them the extra evidence (copies of my new driver's licence and copies of proof of a joint bankaccount) is optional.

Should I wait and go through the hassle of getting those extra documents, which I'll eventually get anyway, or can I file for my I-485 now? It's giving me a lot of stress and I don't know what to do!

Thanks for reading my problem, and thanks for the support you guys have given me already so far!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Don't be too stressed about all of that for filing AOS, the USCIS realizes newly weds don't have all of that so file now and just make sure you have other evidence to prove your marriage is bona fide at the time of interview like photos throughout your relationship, with family etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The only evidence of marriage you need when filing for AOS is a copy of your marriage certificate. You would bring things like that to the interview, if you even ever have one.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.