Kath

ACTIVATION OF K1 VISA-CANADA TO USA

11 posts in this topic

hi there

hope you don't mind me asking this question but my fiance and i have been going round and round in circles to which would be the best way ...

in june we want to travel from melbourne australia to toronto canada to go to a room meet then travel from toronto to niagra falls then into the states..scene set...

now the things we cant figure out is this

if we land in toronto do i have to activate my K1 VISA there which will be in my australian passport...or can i enter canada on my british passport so i dont activate it ....

also when we cross the border from niagra falls to new york can i use my australian passport and activate it from that crossing (not sure if the niagra falls bridges do the K1 VISA thing)

also just thought of it ..do i get an EAD stamp in my passport or is that just JFK airport..

would appreciate any help and advise ... robbie is leaving his car in toronto so we will be driving to the falls..i hope i havent confused anyone either...

thanks

take care

kath

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Kath,

Australia to Toronto and then on to Niagara Falls, Canada shouldn't be a problem as you would not have entered the USA yet, I would say you're okay to use your Australia passport. From Niagara Falls, Canada to Niagara Falls, New York you would then activate your Visa.

There was a discussion on the old board about whether or not Niagara Falls issued the stamp. I believe it was back in July as I had just signed up to VJ and was wondering about traveling from there. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...pic=33210&st=90

On page 7. It seems like back in July it was a hit & miss on whether or not you would get the stamp, I'm not sure how it is now.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Ok, it's early in the morning and this is probably a dumb question. To activate a K-1 visa, don't you have to be approved? -_-

AOS, EAD & AP

Aug 3- AOS EAD & AP packet sent to Chicago

Aug 7- USCIS received packet

Aug 15- NOA1 for all 3

Aug 22- Biometrics notice received in mail

Aug 26- Case transferred to CSC

Aug 28- Biometrics appt

Aug 31- Case received by CSC

Sept 5- AOS touched ( didn't know what a "touch" was until today) :)

Sept 7- Touched

Sept 14- Touched

Sept 15- Touched

Sept 21- AOS APPROVED!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sept 22- Touched and email received in the wee hours of the morning saying welcome notice was mailed Sept 21

Sept 27- Touched and Email received that my case approved and that an approval notice was mailed today!! Huh??

Sept 28- Touched

Sept 29- Received my greencard and welcome notice :)

I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

7/30/08 I-751 sent today

8/01/08 Received in VT

8/07/08 Check cashed

8/11/08 NOA received - 1 year extension

5/08/09 Biometrics appt---finally, after what........nine months

5/12/09 Congratulations letter received--that was fast :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, it's early in the morning and this is probably a dumb question. To activate a K-1 visa, don't you have to be approved? -_-

What do you mean by "approved" One has to go through all the paperwork, plus interview at the designated consulate. One can "activate" the k1 at almost any USA POE.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

What do you mean by "approved" One has to go through all the paperwork, plus interview at the designated consulate. One can "activate" the k1 at almost any USA POE.

Oops :blush: By approved I meant the Visa Approved after the interview!! Told you it was early in the morning :) I just didn't see anywhere where it said that the K-1 had been approved (after interview).

AOS, EAD & AP

Aug 15- NOA1 for all 3

Aug 28- Biometrics appt

Sept 7- Touched

Sept 14- Touched

Sept 15- Touched

Sept 22- Touched and email received in the wee hours of the morning saying welcome notice was mailed Sept 21

Sept 27- Touched and Email received that my case approved and that an approval notice was mailed today!! Huh??

Sept 28- Touched

7/30/08 I-751 sent today

8/01/08 Received in VT

8/07/08 Check cashed

Oops :blush: By approved I meant the Visa Approved after the interview!! Told you it was early in the morning :) I just didn't see anywhere where it said that the K-1 had been approved (after interview).

I just read they want to do this in June. Sorry!! I thought she or he wanted to come out for a visit before the actual interview. :bonk: Ok, I would deserve this. I'm going to have to stop reading these posts early in the morning. :)

AOS, EAD & AP

Aug 15- NOA1 for all 3

Aug 28- Biometrics appt

Sept 7- Touched

Sept 14- Touched

Sept 15- Touched

Sept 28- Touched

7/30/08 I-751 sent today

8/01/08 Received in VT

8/07/08 Check cashed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just more coffee!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

hi all

thank you so much for your reply ..it is early morning here at the moment and will check that page 5 of old thread tonight when i get home...we figure that to be the case but i kept seeing toronto as POE for some people an i was getting a bit confused..

thank you ever so much now im waiting for an email from the canadian authorities to see what they say too..

take care

and good luck in your move carrie

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hi there

hope you don't mind me asking this question but my fiance and i have been going round and round in circles to which would be the best way ...

in june we want to travel from melbourne australia to toronto canada to go to a room meet then travel from toronto to niagra falls then into the states..scene set...

now the things we cant figure out is this

if we land in toronto do i have to activate my K1 VISA there which will be in my australian passport...or can i enter canada on my british passport so i dont activate it ....

also when we cross the border from niagra falls to new york can i use my australian passport and activate it from that crossing (not sure if the niagra falls bridges do the K1 VISA thing)

also just thought of it ..do i get an EAD stamp in my passport or is that just JFK airport..

would appreciate any help and advise ... robbie is leaving his car in toronto so we will be driving to the falls..i hope i havent confused anyone either...

thanks

take care

kath

kath, the danger in posting a thread like this in the regional discussion is that not many people will see it. You bring up at least one issue of concern (using two passports).

Your first POE to the US is where you use the K-1 visa. Wasn't it you who could not find an Aus-->Canada flight that did not stop in the US?

Canada is not the US, so they don't care if there is a K-1 visa in your passport.

I don't think I've ever heard of a POE that can not accept a K-1 entrant.

EAD stamps are only routinely given at JFK.

(just saw your latest reply)

People *departing* Toronto and going to the US go through US Immigration in Toronto, but that's only for the way out. On the way in it's still Canada ;)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

well you can you your aussie passport in which your K1 visa is to travel up2 canada and then you can cross the border at Niagara falls where your K1 visa would be activated.

Niagara has 3 border crossings within 25 kms

1) peace bridge (fort Erie)

2) Rainbow Bridge (niagara falls)

3) Queenston Lewiston (before niagara falls)

hope it helps

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

hi all

thanks so much for all the information u have given me ...it helps greatly....

take care

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.