Paf

N-400 after frequent trips abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I go on a 3 month vacation every year to the Philippines to visit friends and family. This year we are going for 4 months because of the birth of our son. Will we run into any problems with having a trip once a year overseas. She had a friend tell her that she may have a problem because they may call her a traveler. apparently her friend had a lawyer and he said they will have problems from the 3 trips in like 9 years. My wife and I have traveled 4 times in 4 years.

My wife and I go on a 3 month vacation every year to the Philippines to visit friends and family. This year we are going for 4 months because of the birth of our son. Will we run into any problems with having a trip once a year overseas. She had a friend tell her that she may have a problem because they may call her a traveler. apparently her friend had a lawyer and he said they will have problems from the 3 trips in like 9 years. My wife and I have traveled 4 times in 4 years.

It is not the number of trips, but the amount of time spent inside and outside the US. She must be in more than out. If filing based on marriage and 3 years then she needs to be in the US for more than 18 months. Have a look at the Guide to Naturalization.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Based on the details you provided, I don't think she'll have any problems.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

As said above, what matters is not the number of trips but how long each of the trips lasted, as well as how much time TOTAL you have spent outside of the USA.

So assuming one of you is a US citizen and the other is an LPR looking to apply for naturalization based on 3 years of residence and marriage to a US citizen:

- If you took any trips outside of the US lasting 6 months or more, you will have to prove to USCIS that you did not abandon your permanent residence during that absence. It sounds like you didn't take any trips lasting more than 6 months, so you should be fine.

- If you have been outside of the USA for a total of more than 18 months over the past 3 years, you are not eligible to apply for naturalization. If you were out of the country for 3 months in 2012, 3 months in 2013 and plan on being out for 4 months this year, you are well within the acceptable limits.

So in short, no, I don't think you will have any problems.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.