zmpart

Re-entry permit or Abandonment of Green card?

6 posts in this topic

I got my green card in October 2012. I will applying for removal of conditions for the green card this summer. However, I have a very good opportunity to study in my home country for a 2-3 year degree. I hope to one day return to the US (my visa is through marriage to a US citizen).From what I have read the re-entry permit is not guaranteed to cover my whole time away. I believe the most honest way to resolve this issue of studying abroad is to abandon my green card legally then apply again in four years time when I will return. Is it very difficult to apply again for the green card if I have abandoned it once? Is that held against me for future applications? How is the best way to abandon the green card to ensure that everything is clearly documented and I have followed the correct procedures? Thank you for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration-Related Discussion, from Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion -- This discussion is more about re-entry permits or abandoning of Green Card~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can apply for a re-entry permit which is valid for two years. If that should not be sufficient and you decide to abandon the gc at this point you will have to go through the IR process again. Same requirements and outcome. That you have abandoned the it in the past will not make any difference.

Good luck whatever your decision!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Take the Reentry Permit. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

The Reentry Permit gives you options since you will have 2 years to evaluate your situation.

If you turn in your green card, you limit your options if circumstances change.

I got my green card in October 2012. I will applying for removal of conditions for the green card this summer. However, I have a very good opportunity to study in my home country for a 2-3 year degree. I hope to one day return to the US (my visa is through marriage to a US citizen).From what I have read the re-entry permit is not guaranteed to cover my whole time away. I believe the most honest way to resolve this issue of studying abroad is to abandon my green card legally then apply again in four years time when I will return. Is it very difficult to apply again for the green card if I have abandoned it once? Is that held against me for future applications? How is the best way to abandon the green card to ensure that everything is clearly documented and I have followed the correct procedures? Thank you for your help!

As long as you maintain residency in the US and as long as this study is not valid for citizens of the UK only--i.e. you need to use your UK citizenship to get special tuition rates that as a US LPR you would not qualify for--you can come back to the US during breaks and maintain your LPR status with the re-entry permit. IMHO, I would still apply for one to show that you want to maintain your LPR status. You might want to go to the USCIS website and look at what is required to maintain your LPR status. Unless you claim to be a resident of where you are attending college, you can have a temporary college address and a permanent home address. If your spouse is going with you, that will be harder to do. I would look at all options and keep as many open as you can for now.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.